Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin 1968 Chevelle SS 396

Bills72sj

This model is the first full resin body conversion I have ever attempted. It is a 1968 Chevelle SS casted by Ed Fluck of Drag City Castings http://www.dragcitycasting.com . It was pretty easy to work with, which is nice, since I do not have any body work skills. I simply removed the flashing and thinned areas as needed.

A couple of donor kits were used in this build. The first was an AMT 68 El Camino. From that I took the windshield, dash, steering wheel, front seats and console. The interior tub and complete chassis were donated by an AMT 69 Olds 442. It has a very detailed chassis with multi-piece suspension and working steering. Floor pan-wise, it took very minor trimming to fit nicely under the Chevelle body. The rear glass is from a 69 Chevelle.

I originally wanted to do it up as a Yenko Super Chevy. However, after doing some research I found out that Yenko did not modify any Chevelles in 1968. Besides that, the Drag City Castings “Stinger” hood wouldn’t accept the YSC decal format. Since I had already purchased the Yenko decal set from Keith Marks http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/chevy/chevelle/ I scanned them in my PC and modified the side stripes to read “SS 396”. The hood decal artwork I designed from scratch in MS Paint as a .bmp. I used my inkjet printer and Testors decal paper to produce them.

The yellow color, which I like to refer as “Magazine Cover Yellow”, is some craft store rattle can my wife got awhile back. The paint and decals are clear coated with Future. As you can obviously see, I used BMF as there is a lot of trim. If I had to do it over I might have added a black vinyl top.

The wheels are multi-piece Corvette rally wheels that have been widened in the rear. I also widened the rear tires and lettered them with a Gelly Roll pen. The exhaust tips are nickel plated ‘crimp’ tubes (for RC planes) I picked up at my LHS.

The big block Chevy engine came from the parts box and is a basic High Performance 4-BBL with ribbed valve covers. The wired distributor I made myself from scratch. The K&N air cleaner is high enough to be visible in the hood scoop opening. The front and rear bumpers including red tail light lenses are Modelhaus items http://www.modelhaus.com .

68 Chevelle SS 396 LR.jpg

68 Chevelle SS 396 LF.jpg

68 Chevelle SS 396 engine.jpg

resin 68 Chevelle mock up.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Excellent build! The paint and decal work are exceptional, stance looks great as do those wheels and tires! It is easy-to-see that alot of work and effort was invested in this build... it all paid-off!

1 hour ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking Chevelle. I like how you did your stripes better than the Yenko stripes. The Rally Wheels look better than alloys on a build like this. 

Thank you guys.

• 2 months later...