Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version

Impalow

Wow you guys!   I haven't checked this since Thursday, thank you for all the interest and comments!!! This one has been fun so far, most of my projects (model or 1:1) have been almost completely planned out on paper or in my head from the beginning...  I'm really enjoying the more free flow nature of this one... its pretty relaxing to be honest.

I'm not quite sure on color or door configuration yet, my original idea was for this to be a curbside... that's changing a bit now, and recent modifications will probably make it a front entry like Bucky had suggested.

All those cab forwards are fantastic.. The bug and that Avanti have always been a favorites of mine... They look more correct that way than the "right way"

It also cool to see that someone has done this with a 63 before...I don't remember it, but makes me wonder if I had seen it and stored it away somewhere in my grey matter.

Thank you all for following along and I look forward to seeing everyone in New Jersey!

Okay so an update... and a further spiral into madness... ?

After looking at the proportions,  measuring some kits and asking some friends to measure their Roth built ups, I came to the conclusion nothing was going to fit on this with out some additional length... welp.. here we go...

IMG_2093.jpg.50bedd69b978b1ba9be831be9433be9a.jpg

Then reattach... plus an extra inch... or 25" in 1:1

IMG_2095.jpg.6e5287e70d9057f5eb97f940d492f1fe.jpgIMG_2099.jpg.059092aabca242cd5c02213ff98bcd73.jpg

Now is where it gets odd...  the extra length needed more tires... So going tandem was an obvious choice.

But then...I wanted to skew the time period of the build a bit, move it away from the Deora time period.. and more into that late sixties, early seventy's time...   the time when almost every show car had cut up wheel wells, flares, and firestone or goodyear gold lines..   well... flares to come.... but... 

IMG_2105.jpg.50285543178b5f6c3e0bb88719467093.jpgIMG_2103.jpg.29ba416a989342393884caa08a9dca71.jpgIMG_2102.jpg.5d1e5569f450d1a24de20c1790973584.jpg

Its getting there...  more ideas are flowing... thinking dual corvair powered and a chromed out showrod chassis on the back!

Edited by Impalow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Impalow said:

...came to the conclusion nothing was going to fit on this with out some additional length...

....dual corvair powered and a chromed out showrod chassis on the back!

Got so fascinated by the initial pics, I forgot already this was going to be a hauler. Don't offhand think anyone has done a twin Corvair engine rod before.

8 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Your idea of the flares is great! It will make it even more distinctive of the Deora... If not already!

Did-you use a second kit, or more likely upon looking at the pix, with simple styrene sheet forming?

CT

Thanks!!!

My first thought was actually needing a second kit, but once I committed to the radius-ed rear wheel openings so little was going to show.... some super thick styrene sheet did the trick just fine.

Edited by Impalow

Thanks guys!  its coming along pretty well!  I'm pretty excited with it!

On 1/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, Belugawrx said:

Nice,...this is gonna look sweet ;),...where abouts did you aquire those tires..?

They are these: Firestone Modified Tires

s-l300.jpg

Note that there is a pony tire, so to have a true set of bigs and littles you need to buy 2 sets...  They are always at NNL East, I have bought 2 sets every year with dreams of showrods in my head... just now getting around to using them on builds.

For this build I am going to take a lathe pass off the inside to make them a little more low profile to match my vision.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:10 PM, CabDriver said:

Or an Allison 

(the engine, not a girl)

Hahaha... thanks for clarifying... I really wanted to photoshop a ton of famous "allisons" in the bed of this thing for ya...   

Everyone I tell the Dual Corvair idea to looks at me like a crazy person, so I feel that may be the "correct" choice.  haha

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your builds in person at east!

21 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Unique and cool in equal measure!

are you going wild with the paint? I see flake and endless lines. Proper trippy!

Thank you!   I am thinking some sort of flake and patterns for sure...  but not quite sure on color just yet...  I have lots of silver, gold, blue, purple, pink and green scale flake.... and then pretty much every color of Kandy..   so lots of options to sort thru... ?

Edited by Impalow

Here are some shots from our Northcoast Auto Modelers Meeting last night... 

I spent some time with a sanding stick on the body, removing trim, smoothing out ripples and molding the custom front and rear in.  I also sanded back the passenger side of the front on an angle, which lightens up the heaviness of that asymmetrical part a lot.

IMG_2111.jpg.46b6f614982987508c156fcba4a8b494.jpgIMG_2113.jpg.6736703aea364afd480fde4ed93361b2.jpg

And the corvair engines, straight out of the Blueprinter parts packs....  Im thinking hillborn style injection on these..  12 stacks! ?

IMG_2109.jpg.cf77fc06878d2024696dfc7f25527b50.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Impalow said:

Hahaha... thanks for clarifying... I really wanted to photoshop a ton of famous "allisons" in the bed of this thing for ya...   

Everyone I tell the Dual Corvair idea to looks at me like a crazy person, so I feel that may be the "correct" choice.  haha

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your builds in person at east!

Yeah, those engines look AMAZING!  What a cool idea!  Run with it! ???

Looking forward to meeting you too!  I’ve been a fan of your builds for a while now!  

Think your 1:1 project will be ready too? ??

Thanks guys!!!  

22 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Think your 1:1 project will be ready too? ??

Oh that thing... I am about to run out of things to do on that, still waiting on all the panels from the body shop... which he has had almost 2 years. 

As of now I have a full running and driving shell and I'm buttoning up the interior.  Here is a sneak-peek of the "scratch-built" dashboard with carbon trim...  I haven't posted this one on Instagram yet, but its pretty much all handmade.

IMG_2091.jpg.7d70d338c6a104e37cd1037d83a98b69.jpgIMG_2090.jpg.65faf2d7626255a1f0ac6bda7f5bc6be.jpg

Oh and the model...  I got the chassis somewhat programmed in Illustrator... and the intial cutouts done... lots of handwork to do... but it should get the ball rolling.

HaulerLayout-01.thumb.jpg.4a9dcccf52033d9d8f27ea575c9ce66a.jpgHaulerLayout-02.thumb.jpg.7fd5886d33f348c7f4b07e69c4991818.jpgHaulerLayout-03.thumb.jpg.3b2640af5dce8c9ef8863758ae44b3b1.jpgIMG_2120.jpg.0597afaa19a8abfb9ff40e9d6e397c29.jpg

Thanks guy!  

On 1/23/2020 at 1:27 PM, cobraman said:

Very cool project. Any wild ideas for cargo ? Custom bike perhaps ?

Thank you!!!   I'm not 100% sure yet.... but thinking possibly a bare chromed out Showrod rolling chassis, maybe with a 348/409?    Or get another kit and chop it up to make a bubbletop 63 impala hot rod..     ideas are flowing, but i want to get this guy ironed out before heading down that road.

I was able to get the scratch-built chassis pan built over the weekend.... still away to go, but its shaping up into something odd... that's for sure.

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

Edited by Impalow