Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Henry J gasser

GoodbuildNY

Like many of you guys on here a lot of these models I either built or lusted after as a kid. Funny thing is as an adult builder having a chance to do them you realize some of these kits weren’t really that nice lol ... but for me that’s part of the challenge to make them right

10 minutes ago, GoodbuildNY said:

Like many of you guys on here a lot of these models I either built or lusted after as a kid. Funny thing is as an adult builder having a chance to do them you realize some of these kits weren’t really that nice lol ... but for me that’s part of the challenge to make them right

Do I ever hear you on that count. I built the Revell  Street Demon themed '54 Chevy Panel Wagon from the early 80's and did I find out just how true that statement of yours really is. Really tough to build and pull off with any kind of decent outcome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don’t know how I missed this one when you posted it. A very nice Henry J. I have a love/hate relationship with this kit. I found it to be a pain to build when I tried building one 50 years ago. But, with the recent re-release, I’m going to try it again. Despite what my friends in the MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota) have to say about the kit. (None of it good.) I hope it turns out half as good as yours did. 

That's a good looking Gasser.  This shows that a good looking model can be built from this kit.  I've read all the negitive posts about the Henry J and still want one.  I like Gassers and it's a Gasser.  Looking forward to the challenge when this one hits the local hobby shop.      

rmx854514.jpg

On 12/9/2021 at 11:17 PM, unclescott58 said:

I don’t know how I missed this one when you posted it. A very nice Henry J. I have a love/hate relationship with this kit. I found it to be a pain to build when I tried building one 50 years ago. But, with the recent re-release, I’m going to try it again. Despite what my friends in the MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota) have to say about the kit. (None of it good.) I hope it turns out half as good as yours did. 

Thank you for the compliment. It was basically same scenario for me. Built one back in early eighties when I was younger but wanted to build another now that My skills have gotten better some 30+ years later lol. Sure it’s a fiddly old Revell kit but I’ve certainly built worse and sometimes I enjoy the challenge of making it better. Definitely give it a shot

On 12/10/2021 at 7:10 AM, Zippi said:

That's a good looking Gasser.  This shows that a good looking model can be built from this kit.  I've read all the negitive posts about the Henry J and still want one.  I like Gassers and it's a Gasser.  Looking forward to the challenge when this one hits the local hobby shop.      

rmx854514.jpg

Thank you. I love gassers as well and felt I had to have a good looking Henry J gasser in the collection. Bad reviews/opinions aside, it can still present well. 

On 12/10/2021 at 10:43 AM, ewetwo said:

Really nice build.

Thank you 

On 12/10/2021 at 6:10 AM, Zippi said:

I've read all the negative posts about the Henry J and still want one...  Looking forward to the challenge when this one hits the local hobby shop.      

I've always preferred the old kits. More now than ever because technology and good company owners have cleaned up the notorious flash and poor registration. Sometimes I'm tickled to find how fresh and clean some of those tired old kits have become. Couldn't pay me to pick up an 80's vintage repop. Crossing my fingers on what they've done for this one.