Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bordinat Cobra concept

cobraman

First a bit of history . 1963 Shelby Bordinat Cobra concept roadster / CS 3001 .  Two concept cars were built . The Cougar ll , a coupe and this roadster called the Bordinat  Cobra . This car was also referred to as the XP Cobra . It had a 289 engine with a C4 auto . Body was vacuum formed of a new plastic called Royalex . Three bodies like this were made . One for the concept car and the other two just disappeared . Some reports say this car never ran . Both cars were discovered in a warehouse in Detroit and restored .                                                The model . Started with the Lindberg kit of the Cougar ll. Since I was going to remove a large section of the body I glued the doors shut . After the roof was removed I filled in the resulting hole with sheet plastic . From there it was puttied and sanded and primed . I painted it with Tamiya silver and was not really happy but I never seem to get a good finish with silver . It was also cleared . I had to use the stock tires and wheels which was another disappointment . I had some very nice wires and ww tires but it turned out they were just too tall to fit . I had some goofs and this project did not turn out as good as I had wanted and hoped but they seldom do . Overall for me this ain’t too bad . 

FD286E13-AEFD-4DAF-BEAB-9CBF237F22A2.jpeg

AF47237A-6B0A-4708-99BE-58FB87B7894A.jpeg

DC5703C8-C1D4-41AB-B673-DF8D05C2453C.jpeg

D4D97088-EDB3-494A-9B87-90354E6C1684.jpeg

89EC76D1-C688-4448-9896-55D59682C393.jpeg

BF1D6CAD-BB7F-4CC3-8CC4-B4236C1C2BF1.jpeg

27 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Thanks guys. I think I should have repainted it but I didn't know what would happen if I tried to strip it with the putty on the body.

Leave it like this Ray It's really nice!  Every time I have stripped the paint on one of my model, (using Easy-Off oven cleaner) the putty stipped off too and I had to start over.  Maybe someone knows a miracle product that can only remove the paint?