Model Cars Magazine Forum

40% off all model kits at HL

Just pulled their on line ad for the KC area and it lists all model kits at 40% off with out coupon. They may want to have an extra cashier or two on call with 40 % off across the board I might even buy some "parts" kits.  

I hit up the Canton, Georgia HL whilst out and about today. All models 40% off, no coupon needed. It was shockingly well stocked, I must say. Beaucoup Model Master stuff still on the shelves as well. I picked up the AMT ‘70 Galaxie for $17 and change and 3 cans each of MM white lacquer primer and ultragloss clear. Sale ends August 29. If you go, wear comfortable shoes as Christmas decorations are also 40% off. Or, you could not make the same mistake I made and leave your wives at home.

I hit 2 different Hobby Lobby stores, yesterday and today.  A weird thing happened today.  The checker had the weekly ad hanging right in front of her nose, but at first she said model kits were not discounted.  Maybe she was new or something.  She insisted my 2 model kits were "crafts" and not on discount.  I pointed to "HOBBY MODEL KITS" on the ad. She still wasn't convinced.

Luckily, a manager walked by and told her model kits were 40% off.  I got another '71 Duster, mostly for that nice engine.  And a 1/32 scale '60 T-Bird, in case I want to do a junkyard diorama with a 1/32 scale Hasegawa fork lift or something.

This store had no '67 Impala 4-doors, neither did the other store yesterday.  I found ONE of those kits a couple of weeks ago in HL and have not seen any since.  Both stores had the new Revell 1/24 Land Rover and the AMT Autocar dump truck.

Edited by Mike999
omit

My friend Tim was at HL and texted me about the 40% off. I was in the other day and picked up some rattle cans at 30% off. The model section was pretty well stocked but I already have pretty much everything I want. Besides, my hobby budget has taken quite a beatdown lately since I just  tooled up for airbrushing.

The 40% didn't excite me all that much. I don't need much right now and I have a HL about 15 minutes away and another in a part of town that isn't unusual for me to be in on Saturday. There are a few things there that I eventually want, but I can wait and get them one at a time with a coupon. I totally understand that this is huge for those of you who have to drive an hour or more to get to a HL. I was just at the closest one this afternoon and didn't come home with anything.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

The 40% didn't excite me all that much. I don't need much right now and I have a HL about 15 minutes away and another in a part of town that isn't unusual for me to be in on Saturday. There are a few things there that I eventually want, but I can wait and get them one at a time with a coupon. I totally understand that this is huge for those of you who have to drive an hour or more to get to a HL. I was just at the closest one this afternoon and didn't come home with anything.

Me either! I live within walking distance (okay a hearty walk!) from Hobby Lobby. I actually cut through the lot on my way to other shopping. 

I thought about stopping in on my way home from work, but couldn’t muster the enthusiasm!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Stopped in to see if anything caught my eye. Was planning in picking up the tamiya painting stand, which I saw there last time. Alas, they did not have it. I did see the land rover and the belvidere. I picked up the 55 Chevrolet Cameo and the 1961 Impala SS.

Hard to resist 40% off.

I also picked up supplies to try my hand at weathering one of my future pickup builds.

My closest Hobby Lobby seems to only stock muscle car kits and truck kits....not my thing....but I guess they know what is likely to sell to the locals.Wish they had more 40s 50s hot rod / gasser type stuff. Was really hoping they would stock that re release of the Revell '29 model A...havent seen it yet.

i got  3  models kits at hobby lobby  in niles ohio  today a  67 shelby gt-350  kit wich was now 17.99  though someone had opened the the kit   and stuck it back on the shelf  i checked it at the chas register in front of the cashier  to mke sures everything was there  before i bought it it was complete  and i got a  bandai  1/72 scale star wars tie fighter set  which was now 5.99   and a revell  ww2 waterline uss missouri kit which was 5.99 now 
i also met another model builder  in the model kit isle we had a nice talk about model kits  i never got to ask him his name  i mentioned i was   a member here and he mentioned he would  take a look at some some of my  builds and we would  talk  some more here in messages 

Edited by michelle

On 8/27/2020 at 9:44 PM, styromaniac said:

My closest Hobby Lobby seems to only stock muscle car kits and truck kits....not my thing....but I guess they know what is likely to sell to the locals.Wish they had more 40s 50s hot rod / gasser type stuff. Was really hoping they would stock that re release of the Revell '29 model A...havent seen it yet.

I know what you mean, mine keeps the same stock forever. If I want something I order it because it’s an old kit when my HL gets it..

29 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Why is Wet Look Clear going away? I thought it was just the Model Master paint that was being discontinued.

I don't think it's going away, I think it's just they changed the formula for some reason and it sucks now. Others might know more though.