Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

43 minutes ago, HomerS said:

The store closest to me......

See the hair on that lady there?  I'm looking for the color of blue for!

Funny thing.. I stopped there this afternoon and they had two lines open with a line at both. The not so attractive woman in front of me kept muttering her disgust aloud that the line was slow. 

She gets up to cashier and lays into the poor girl who tried to shrug it off. She asks the woman, “Do you have a coupon today?” Woman snarls NO! at her. Now if this was a nice lady I would’ve leaned forward and hold out my phone for cashier to scan the coupon... not today! 

Lady spent $129. She had some kind of decorative shelf thing that was $69 in her cart. Good for her!

On 1/28/2021 at 6:51 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Unless they are going to bring the shelf price of model kits down as part of their "discounting" initiative. then the rotating sale may reduce to 20 or 30%.

I'm thinking this might be the case.  I stopped at my nearby HL yesterday and they finally had a few new kits on their shelves: the MPC 1978 Dodge truck and the AMT 1966 Buick Wildcat. (OK I know these have been out for a while, but my HL never got them till now).  I was surprised to see the Buick priced at $24.99, which is probably about what my LHS charges.

Since Round 2 isn't marketing it as a "basic" or "budget" kit (like the '72 GTO, etc.), I was quite surprised to see that price. For the last several years they've been pricing the vast majority of their kits at $29.99.  Wondering if they're getting a head start on their new pricing method?

I didn't really need another of those Buicks , but I grabbed one along with a Pro Street '66 Nova $30.XX out the door for both thanks to the 40% sale.  If they really are going to adjust their pricing down a bit, I'm expecting we won't see 40% off sales anymore either.

(OT: Guts of the Nova are earmarked to go under a '63 wagon whenever I can get a hold of a couple of those.)

Edited by Robberbaron

"Travis" at the HL in Citrus Heights, CA confirmed that the coupons are going away. I got six kits this afternoon at the sale price. Revell Snap '57 Chevy was marked at $22.99, the rest were "real" kits marked at $29.99.

Really nice kid. He was making comments about all of them as he was ringing me up and mentioned that the 40% off was a good deal. I agreed, and mentioned that I wanted to stock up during the sale because of the demise of the coupon. Told him that I wanted to add to the "stash" now instead of waiting for another sale, if they were still going to do that. If he knew what their pricing strategy is going forward, he didn't divulge it.

Wanted to get a Foose truck or two, but they didn't have any. Will probably check another HL across town tomorrow, just for fun.

They had the 007 Galaxie and the 66 Wildcat, but I left both of them there. Still haven't seen the Galaxie at the LHS, which is sad.

Edited by Rodent

One benefit for me was that when a Hobby Lobby opened five years ago near a hobby shop that I frequent, within two weeks every automotive kit was marked down by 20%, some more, along with most military kits.  I asked the owner Thursday last year how his sales of kits went in the years since cutting his prices, and he said that kits sales actually doubled over the previous five years when he opened.  His prices on most paint and supplies are now down 15-20% below "retail" as well.  Needless to say, about the only thing I've bought from Hobby Lobby were Alumilite products with 40% off coupons.  FYI - The local hobby shop moved to a larger 10,000 square foot store four years ago now, about double the size of his old location.

A.J.

Hobby Lobby is my only source (other than online of course) for my modeling products and kits so yeah the discontinuation of the 40% deal is a downer. 

I don't know how many folks here on the forum live in larger metropolitan areas but in my case (40 miles from Nashville) there is not one single actual hobby shop like the old days.

5 hours ago, maxwell48098 said:

Needless to say, about the only thing I've bought from Hobby Lobby were Alumilite products with 40% off coupons.

Those are now listed as "Your Price" so the coupon no longer applies <_<. Michael's still allows their coupon on Alumilite, albeit 20% off instead of 40%.

I have a feeling that Hobby Lobby has lowered the price on the Alumilite products that they sell because they are changing the name of the retailers versions of their products to the "Amazing" brand.  Looking at Alumilite's web pages shows that the smaller quantity molding and casting products, and kits, now have the "Amazing" brand name and new packaging.  My local Hobby lobby has already started selling Amazing casting resin in the model section.  They sold Amazing Clear resin in the jewelery for years. Some of the silicone casting kits, like those sold at Hobby Lobby have already changed their branding and packaging.  The larger size resin and silicone products seem to still have the Alumilite brand, but with updated labeling.

A.J.

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Alumilite is a poor name for resin since it makes you think “aluminum”. Makes sense to change it

Not sure why the name is changing, but since 2018 Alumilite has been owned by Polytek. Polytek resins have been used for many years by resin casters out there.
https://www.mcall.com/business/mc-biz-easton-plastics-company-polytek-acquisition-20180712-story.html

I went to my local store today and they finally did a big re-stock after almost a year of diminishing inventory. I saw that they are carrying Mr. Surfacer 1000 now and grabbed the last can as I've only heard good things about it. Also saw the AMT Bulldozer, MPC Dodge D-100 and AMT Diamonds are Forever police car. for the first time at a Hobby Lobby. 

download.jpg.2f017fdf671fe51c3f2b35822c64e591.jpg

7 minutes ago, av405 said:

I went to my local store today and they finally did a big re-stock after almost a year of diminishing inventory. I saw that they are carrying Mr. Surfacer 1000 now and grabbed the last can as I've only heard good things about it. Also saw the AMT Bulldozer, MPC Dodge D-100 and AMT Diamonds are Forever police car. for the first time at a Hobby Lobby. 

download.jpg.2f017fdf671fe51c3f2b35822c64e591.jpg

My 2 local HL's seem to be abandoning Tamiya in favor of Mr. Hobby stuff. Had Mr. Hobby Liquid Cement on the shelf with the last 3 bottles of Extra Thin(which I grabbed), Mr. Hobby Surfacer, Mr. Hobby Clear.  The other HL had exclusively Mr. Hobby stuff, not even any Tamiya putty!  Makes one wonder if they will be carrying the Mr. Paint line once they clear out the Model Master.

There was also a can of Tamiya grey primer and a lot of Testors/Model Master paint jars. That told me that they also received new inventory of those. At least as far as the Tamiya primer goes, I wonder if they will be selling both together or simply sending out the remaining stock of Tamiya. 

Went to my HL for the first time in four or five months. All model kits are 40% off, but their stock was way down; many, MANY empty slots. Ended up buying a Revell '29 Ford, even though I already have 3 of the first issue. Will be interesting to see the SBC in the new issue. 

I stopped by the local HL a bit ago to see if anything new had been stocked. There was boxes of merch to be stocked on the shelf sitting in the aisle. No one around so I took a plunder through the boxes, lots of Model Master acrylic paint(their main warehouse must have a pretty good stock of it since it's been discontinued), Testors glue, Vallejo but no Tamiya or Mr. Paint stuff. The usual kits

Bought a couple Corvette kits and some paint. Probably the last time I'll be able to use a coupon!

I went today, nothing new but they get shipments on Monday and boxes hadn’t been opened yet.

I used my coupon to buy a Molotow pen as mine has gone dry.

Swung by Pep Boys for some Duplicolor primer.  Funny thing, they’ve never been out of gray before. I was going to get a can of gray and a can of white primer, so two cans of white it is!

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I grabbed a can of Mr. Hobby Mr. Surfacer 1000. Anybody tried this stuff? How does it compare with the Tamiya primer that it replaced?

Anything that starts as Mr from Japan is a great product  As good as Tamiya and better in some cases.