Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevrolet 3100

Just a little something I've been working on the prep for paint before weather turns to cold to paint. Started with AMT 1950 3100 Chevy Pickup. Grabbed my Revell 1937 Ford Coupe and took the front suspension, small block Chevy and taillight housings to use on this. I grabbed an extra AMT 1979 Superbee kit for the 4 link bars and center section for the rear. I hopped on Ebay for an extra set of rear fenders and cut them for tubs in the bed. Wheels are Pegasus. Rear tires are front the AMT WagonRod kit. Need to look at the interior yet, need to decide what I want to do with it. 

20201011_131604.jpg

20201011_131615.jpg

20201011_131629.jpg

20201011_131643.jpg

20201011_131635.jpg

20201011_131742.jpg

20201011_131753.jpg

20201011_131757.jpg

Edited by jjsipes
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Zippi said:

jjsipes,

Did you ever finish your 50 pickup?

Not yet. Lost some interest in it right now but, it's just off to the side of my desk. Can pull it back on the desk at anytime when the right mood strikes. Just got in a mood to try and finish up some others I've had painted for a few years before anything happened to them. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/26/2023 at 7:47 PM, ctruss53 said:

PS-49???

PS paints are for lexan R/C car bodies. I wouldn't use those on plastic models. BUT, it appears to have turned out ok.

They are, but do just fine over a cured Tamiya primer. I have used them many times. And they have some cool colors. They are no different than automotive spray cans of your common Autozone variety or any of the paint you can buy from aftermarket vendors like Splash, Zero etc..

On 5/26/2023 at 1:42 PM, jjsipes said:

Kept looking at the paint on this and decided a color change. I stripped the Root Beer and Bronze and primed and painted with Tamiya PS-49 Sky Blue Anodized Aluminum. I'm liking this much better.

20230526-140205.jpg

I absolutely love it. In theoryI would have never thought painting that truck in this color, but in reality, looking at your picture it is a perfect choice. Looks killer. 

14 hours ago, Jonathan said:

That looks great.

Isn't the PS line of Tamiya paints designed for their R/C bodies?  I really like the color - do you have to clear or anything?

Yes I have shot one coat of clear but with it drying flat gonna take some more clear I believe.