Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!


gbdolfans

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

What stores stock Atlantis models? I don't shop online. 

Both Model Land and PM Hobbycraft up here in Calgary both carry Atlantis kits, so maybe check around your area.  It would be unusual if your local hobby shops didn't have their own websites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I check all the stores that carry model kits around here, none have Atlantis kits on the shelf. I have a hobby shop that I'm pretty sure could order them for me, the "problem" is that they usually have $200 in kits that I want on the shelf. Since I don't allow myself to spend $200 every time I go there I choose from the shelf. I don't ever get the opportunity to choose an Atlantis kit because there aren't any on the shelf and I'm still leaving things behind I want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I check all the stores that carry model kits around here, none have Atlantis kits on the shelf. I have a hobby shop that I'm pretty sure could order them for me, the "problem" is that they usually have $200 in kits that I want on the shelf. Since I don't allow myself to spend $200 every time I go there I choose from the shelf. I don't ever get the opportunity to choose an Atlantis kit because there aren't any on the shelf and I'm still leaving things behind I want. 

Hey, things are available, but sometimes you have to make a little more effort than just showing up at some neighborhood shop and picking it off the shelf. Either order it yourself online (or perhaps over the phone, if you don't trust buying online), or have the shop order you what you want. If I limited myself to just what was available on the shelf at HL and Michaels--the only places in 40 miles of me that sell kits--I'd have probably grown bored with the hobby and quit several years ago.  You have to get in the game to play the game. B)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 10:02 PM, Casey said:

Why? Curious to hear your reasoning.

I don't *think* this retro F/C shares a chassis (THE chassis?) with the previous Monogram '80s F/Cs (Miller Warrior, 7-Eleven/Chief Auto Parts Mustang, etc,), but I honestly could see new Revel not having much interest in reissuing those anyway.

At any rate, I enjoy seeing Atlantis provide a monthly update, even of the info is limited in scope. I think the Unreal Roller is going to sell out quickly, but I suspect another run will happen if so. Crazy to think this kit would ever be reissued.

No particular reason other than it didn't seem like that terribly old of tool. That said, it will be that much more interesting to see what else Atlantis got their hands on. Who knows what else wasn't already in China. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So... nobody stocks Atlantis kits on the shelf. Unless they do. That clears things up. 

Snake, I think you missed the part where I said there are plenty of kits I want on the shelf of my local hobby shop, not just Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I buy things on the shelf. There is pretty much always something on the shelf that I want. No need to order anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Snake, I think you missed the part where I said there are plenty of kits I want on the shelf of my local hobby shop, not just Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I buy things on the shelf. There is pretty much always something on the shelf that I want. No need to order anything.

I didn't miss anything. You seemed interested in owning THIS kit. You don't want to order it online yourself. That means you're gonna have to let your LHS know about your desire, and perhaps have them order you in one. Have you tried that? Because I'm pretty sure Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny isn't just gonna drop one on your doorstep. :unsure:;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was weird.  Last night I was on the Atlantis website.  I wanted to get their ex-Aurora 1/72 scale kit of the AH-56 Cheyenne helicopter, which has been out for a while now.  It hasn't been available since the Aurora release in the 1960s.  Thought I would just order it directly from Atlantis.

But the AH-56 was not in the Atlantis web pages for "Helicopter Kits" or "Aircraft Kits."  I closed the Atlantis site, went to Google and did a search. That returned a link for the AH-56 kit...on the Atlantis website.  When I clicked that link, it went to a "404 Not Found" page.

So it looks like that kit is already discontinued.  Or something.  On the website, it's like it never existed.  If anybody else wants one, there are plenty on eBay for reasonable prices.  Some online vendors also still have it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I didn't miss anything. You seemed interested in owning THIS kit. You don't want to order it online yourself. That means you're gonna have to let your LHS know about your desire, and perhaps have them order you in one. Have you tried that? Because I'm pretty sure Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny isn't just gonna drop one on your doorstep. :unsure:;)

I didn't say I wanted any particular kit, so you did miss something. I asked who stocks Atlantis kits on the shelf. By the way, Santa Claus has brought me many a kit. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I didn't say I wanted any particular kit, so you did miss something. I asked who stocks Atlantis kits on the shelf. By the way, Santa Claus has brought me many a kit. :D

Check your local Hobby Lobby.  The one near me stocks Atlantis kits.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

This was weird.  Last night I was on the Atlantis website.  I wanted to get their ex-Aurora 1/72 scale kit of the AH-56 Cheyenne helicopter, which has been out for a while now.  It hasn't been available since the Aurora release in the 1960s.  Thought I would just order it directly from Atlantis.

But the AH-56 was not in the Atlantis web pages for "Helicopter Kits" or "Aircraft Kits."  I closed the Atlantis site, went to Google and did a search. That returned a link for the AH-56 kit...on the Atlantis website.  When I clicked that link, it went to a "404 Not Found" page.

So it looks like that kit is already discontinued.  Or something.  On the website, it's like it never existed.  If anybody else wants one, there are plenty on eBay for reasonable prices.  Some online vendors also still have it.

I would contact Atlantis directly and ask them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I didn't say I wanted any particular kit, so you did miss something. I asked who stocks Atlantis kits on the shelf. By the way, Santa Claus has brought me many a kit. :D

I thought this was the Dragster thread, so my bad on that. But if you're not interested in some Atlantis kit(s), why are you worried about where they're sold? :wacko:

Santa hasn't brought me a kit since I was about 13. I haven't trusted him to get it right; would prefer to buy it myself. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I thought this was the Dragster thread, so my bad on that. But if you're not interested in some Atlantis kit(s), why are you worried about where they're sold? :wacko:

Santa hasn't brought me a kit since I was about 13. I haven't trusted him to get it right; would prefer to buy it myself. :lol:

I said I wasn't looking for a particular kit, not that I wasn't interested in kits from Atlantis. Thanks for being so helpful though. Maybe somehow you accidentally got put on Santa's naughty list. I would try writing him a letter. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I didn't say I wanted any particular kit, so you did miss something. I asked who stocks Atlantis kits on the shelf. By the way, Santa Claus has brought me many a kit. :D

My wife makes sure I get at kit or 2 for Christmas..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Unreal Roller will arrive at dealers this week. Got notice from my seller they were on the way.....EARLY!!!! Thanks Atlantis! 

That’s good news..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I said I wasn't looking for a particular kit, not that I wasn't interested in kits from Atlantis. Thanks for being so helpful though. Maybe somehow you accidentally got put on Santa's naughty list. I would try writing him a letter. :D

If Snake wrote Santa a letter it would definitely get him on the 'naughty list" ,, and possibly the "naughty list" of several agencies that have a string of letters for names.  😉🤣😈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

If Snake wrote Santa a letter it would definitely get him on the 'naughty list" ,, and possibly the "naughty list" of several agencies that have a string of letters for names.  😉🤣😈

You know me so well, old friend. B):lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 11:32 AM, Dave Darby said:

No particular reason other than it didn't seem like that terribly old of tool. That said, it will be that much more interesting to see what else Atlantis got their hands on. Who knows what else wasn't already in China. 

I see. The original Monogram F/Cs are close to 40 years old, so, I think some might consider that old. 😁

I don't see the McEwen '57 having a huge following, and it seemed like a one-off luxury for Revell even when new, but having the chassis already designed to put under the new body surely made it much more viable.

The 7-Eleven Mustang F/C was an SSP release, so things should be relatively good to go for Atlantis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmmmm, thinking out loud - if the successor to old Revell has the tire molds, we'll see new tires in the Atlantis McEwen kit... might be a good thing.  The old tires were good, but kind of dated for the funny car kits.  if they are better, I  hope Atlantis is planning some new parts packs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I disagree about the '57 having a limited market. Tom McEwen's name on an iconic body (57 Chevy) seems like a great way to test out the market for smaller scale funny cars. This combo has more built in sells potential than the Olds (either Miller or Force) Tempo (Bud King) Mustang (Meyer) or Avenger. The best alternative would be the Prudhomme Pontiac (although he seems tied to Round 2 at the moment). I doubt we'll ever see the War Eagle again. 

If the '57 sells reasonably, I'd be getting drawings of the Pepsi Challenger yellow and white car done hoping Pepsi would allow it. Other options would be Blue Max livery for the Mustang. I just don't see the other bodies ever being re-released. It's hard to name any one car using those bodies that are iconic enough to sell. The 1/16 Green Elephant seems to be doing well but is that because of it being the Green Elephant or is it the scale?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No more talk of Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny please. Lets put this train back on the track and discuss Atlantis Models.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

I disagree about the '57 having a limited market. Tom McEwen's name on an iconic body (57 Chevy) seems like a great way to test out the market for smaller scale funny cars. This combo has more built in sells potential than the Olds (either Miller or Force) Tempo (Bud King) Mustang (Meyer) or Avenger. The best alternative would be the Prudhomme Pontiac (although he seems tied to Round 2 at the moment). I doubt we'll ever see the War Eagle again. 

If the '57 sells reasonably, I'd be getting drawings of the Pepsi Challenger yellow and white car done hoping Pepsi would allow it. Other options would be Blue Max livery for the Mustang. I just don't see the other bodies ever being re-released. It's hard to name any one car using those bodies that are iconic enough to sell. The 1/16 Green Elephant seems to be doing well but is that because of it being the Green Elephant or is it the scale?

 

The issue with the '57 Funny is that it is a '57 funny! Only a couple of folks had that body, and only McEwen was the big name that ran it. Otherwise, it is a chassis donor type kit. I only see folks who missed out on the last issue getting it. I know I'm not, as I already have a few and have yet to finish even one! 

And yes, I think the Green Elephant is selling mostly for the new decals and then secondary would be the scale. The Jungle Jim will sell at first, and again, for most of us 1/16th types, as a donor kit for different decals. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Xingu said:

No more talk of Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny please. Lets put this train back on the track and discuss Atlantis Models.

Thanks.

The subject's a little close to home, is it Michael? 🤨🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...