Model Cars Magazine Forum

Canyonlands junk cars - diorama idea

9 hours ago, von Zipper said:

I spy with my blood shot eye...a pale blue first generation Ford Falcon

I think you're right.

As a matter of fact, I think that there are 2 light blue first gen Falcons in that group of photos.

Directly above the bottom Falcon is a turquoise '61 Impala, then what appears to be a yellow '59 Chrysler judging by the rear bumper.

Right above that is another light blue Falcon.

Above that appears to be a red mid 60s Buick, followed by a tan '63 Ford?

Top man on the totem pole is a gray '66 Olds.

Looks like the car on it's side on the bottom is a Corvair.

Hard to tell what the turquoise one on the top with the rock on the roof is, but if I were to guess, I would say a '60-'61 Studebaker Lark.

Steve

I’ve worked in the “woods” for over 30 years and I am always surprised where I find old cars - wish I had photos of all of them over the years. 
What is amazing is what parts actually hold up to years of exposure. I found a 1940s Dodge at the bottom of an old road fill and the gauges were intact and as clear as new. I’ve found 1930s cars with chrome bumpers still plated and shiny. 

One I did photograph (locked in Bucket world):

Edited by Erik Smith

My home town had a lot of abandoned cars from the late '60s to the mid-'70s; my dad and I used to go out and salvage parts off them. I took a few pictures... 

Me with my brothers, and a derelict '58 Plymouth - I still have the wheelcover:

aban7.jpg.c84f4efd26f8e3cdbc9f43a6acc0998e.jpg

Today this would be a viable project:

aban2.jpg.3701af46bcde1a8da8e31f5b32464c84.jpg

aban3.jpg.c3b73415efa91c83085c300cdb3fe764.jpg

A totaled three-year-old black-over-red Charger; someone pulled the drivetrain and interior, then dumped what was left:

aban4.jpg.991260b2478c9267202c1ed64e9968cf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, Chuckyg1 said:

2 more pics to ponder. How many of these can you I.D.?

stack cars.jpg

junkyardUSA_1000.jpg

If I missed it, I wonder when the pictures were taken and what is the current status of that stack.   Oh those poor '57's.

Edited by TransAmMike

I always wanted to built this a as diorama. I took this pic about 15 years ago at a friends junkyard. The bigger tree is actually coming through the floor & out the windshield. Unfortunately when the junk prices got high it all went to the crusher, over 1,000 cars.

Curry's junkyard & more 00015.jpg

On 2/25/2021 at 9:24 AM, Casey said:

The up side down yellow sedan looks to be a '68 year model Chevrolet. The shape of the rear bumper and fender where the meet as well as the front fender and bumper shapes look more '68 than '67. The body of the two years is almost identical but the ends of the fenders and the bumpers were different between the years. My question would be had this always been a Taxi or a decommissioned PD car retired and then became a Taxi ?