Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Gaggle of Box Art Replicas

Dave Darby

As a guy who's appreciated good box art from a tender age (knee high to a grasshopper, you might say) it's not terribly surprising that as a model builder, I might try and duplicate some of those vintage illustrations in Plastic.

Artists like Jack Leynwood for Revell, and Al Borst for AMT have lived rent free (with an open invitation) in my brain since I was a tot. On top of that, I had the privilege of building box art models for both AMT, and later, Revell. So without further ado, here are some of my box art art replicas.

This pair comprises my first two. The second issue AMT 32 Sport Roadster Street Rod and Drag versions. Built over 20 years ago.

FB IMG 1548898672031

FB IMG 1548898020321

IMG 9241rt

FB IMG 1548898652572

This one was started shortly after the other two, and was redone last year, with new paint, front tires, and a set of those fragile 1964 decals, supplemented with dry transfers for the class lettering. Believe it of not, the decals for the older (pre 1962) kits always seem to work flawlessly for me.

20201023 203206

20201023 203042

Next up I did this original issue 25 T Chopped coupe, built from a couple of basket case originals I picked up off of eBay and swap meets.

20190321 203551

No, you're not seeing double. The nearest one was a commission build I did last year from a re-issue (albeit with original issue firewall and taillights). I'm extremely happy with the paint on this one, but I should have massaged the fit of the fenders to compensate for the smaller diameter of the re-issue wheels.

20200131 225107

20200131 211250

20200131 211309

20200131 210311

This one is still in mock-up stage, as I still have a few details I want figure out, plus mount some headlights that will match the box art. This one is where I deviated the most from box stock, in order to better duplicate the box art. 

20190101 203854

Build process for this coupe can be viewed here... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/135813-amt-trophy-series-deuce-5-window-box-art-replica-updated-112019/

Here is one more replica. I didn't have a box to pose it with when I owned it.. This one is built from a 2009 Revell re-issue (Monogram) 30 Woody, with rolling stock from the Blue Bandito as an homage to the 1965 issue Monogram Woody Wagon.

20170517 223220

Last up, when is a box art replica not a box art replica? When it is the actual box art car. The last project I did for AMT/Ertl was this trio of Chevys in 1995. It only took 25 years, and a long chain of correspondence with the late "Viper Dave" McGaughey, and the also the late Ted "Chopper" Lear, who connected me with long time excellent care-taker Richard Geis, who kindly sold it back to me.

(BTW, thanks to Gary Seeds for giving me the box for the set, which actually happened before I knew I was getting the car back!) No, I didn't forget the window glass. AMT policy at the time was to leave it out, and retouch it in to eliminate glare and optic distortion on the box art.

20200601 175543

20200603 204949

20200603 204840

Thanks for indulging me, and I hope you enjoyed my box art replica collection (more to come!)  I'll close with a shot of my Vintage Workbench...  Maybe someday I'll post a tour. (Would that be on Under Glass, or On the bench?)

20210224 194105

Edited by Dave Darby

Love this topic ( box art ) box stock ?  I’m not sure what you’ll call it but I dig it, those builds are just Awesome Dave, when ever I pick up a model kit I’m thinking of just how I’m I going to build this one ? But now you got me really studying the box art, especially the older kits, because of your builds I’m going to build my own collection of box art cars for the display case, thanks for sharing! 

Edited by gseeds

What a blast it was to see your collection of hotrods! Just seeing that scoop on the red 32 roadster takes me right back to when I was a little kid watching my big brother Wally working on his models. Very fond memories. Thankyou!!