Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevelle SS396

Dragonhawk1066

Here's my 1968 Chevelle that I just completed along with a little back story.

The owner bought her back in 1997 before the prices of Muscle Cars started going crazy with the intention of doing a complete restoration. Life and other things got in the way so it sat until a few years ago when he finally had time and resources to get working on it. The goal was to have a "triple threat" vehicle that looks and runs like a winner. He wanted it to be right at home at the strip, on the streets as a cruiser, and on the show grounds. After 3 years (actually weeks, lol) he feels like he accomplished his goal. Oh yeah, never mind the boxes on the seat, he just got back from the auto parts store when he took the pics, lol.  He kept the 396 badges on the car to keep up the "wolf in sheep's clothing" façade, lol. The owner also kept all of the original parts in case he ever wanted to put it back to factory stock.

He pulled the original 396 and replaced it with a 454 bored up to 496 cubic inches (not really, but who can tell in 1/25 scale plastic, lol), and topped it off with an Edelbrock intake and a Holley Carb (from Fireball Modelworks). The air cleaner is a machined unit from Off The Sprue.

The paint is Tamiya TS-11 Maroon and is cleared with Tamiya TS-13. The lower panels are painted in Tamiya TS-14 Black and the trim is done with BMF. The interior is done in Black craft paint with some satin varnish mixed in for a little sheen. A column mounted tach was added and a triple gauge pod on the console behind the shifter. The exhaust is custom made with scratch built mufflers and 3/8 inch styrene tubing for the pipes, and the headers came from the AMT '67 Chevelle Pro Street kit.

The wheels are custom made deep dish Rally's in the rear and the kit rally's in the front, while the front tires are also from the kit and the rears from Fireball Modelworks. I added Battery Cables, ignition wires, heater hoses, valve stems and door locks for extra details. This is a fantastic kit and was a joy to build. Thanks for looking!

DSCN7156.JPG

DSCN7157.JPG

DSCN7159.JPG

DSCN7220.JPG

DSCN7222.JPG

DSCN7224.JPG

DSCN7227.JPG

DSCN7230.JPG

DSCN7232.JPG

DSCN7151.JPG

DSCN7129.JPG

DSCN7173.JPG

DSCN7176.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 1

Great job. Very well done. I graduated HS in '79. My 1st car was a '68 Malibu. The first carburetor I ever rebuilt was for a '69 Chevelle. Two of my friends in HS had SS396 4-speed Chevelles. One was a red '69 and the other was a red '70. We laid a lot of rubber in those days!

23 hours ago, espo said:

Build turned out great. There were more than a few cars like this rooming the street back in the day just as you described. 

23 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Really sweet Chevelle. Does bring back memories of my youth.

21 hours ago, michelle said:

nice work i also like the story  

20 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Real nice chevelle!

19 hours ago, iSewen said:

Very nice Chevelle 👍

18 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Sweet

17 hours ago, charger74 said:

Very Nice 

16 hours ago, Metalmad said:

Nice Build !

15 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

😎👍

13 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Great job. Very well done. I graduated HS in '79. My 1st car was a '68 Malibu. The first carburetor I ever rebuilt was for a '69 Chevelle. Two of my friends in HS had SS396 4-speed Chevelles. One was a red '69 and the other was a red '70. We laid a lot of rubber in those days!

8 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Nice build!

6 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Nice looking Chevelle Craig! That Tamiya Maroon is a nice looking color on it! Also like the wider Ralley wheels on the rear.

47 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Clean looking build, very nice. I love the styling of the late 60's early 70's Chevelle's.

Thanks everyone! Much Appreciated!

Your work is always impeccable and very well detailed.

I followed your WIP on this one and have a question. I noticed you foiled prior to clear coating and wondered if it were to "lock in" the foil or perhaps to change it's appearance with respect to brightness or shine?

16 hours ago, slusher said:

beautiful Chevelle and very clean!

12 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Great looking Chevelle!

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Really nice looking. Love the colors.

5 hours ago, Hi-Po said:

Simply beautiful.  Well done.

5 hours ago, larman said:

Nice work! I like the "day 2" modifications, very much likemany of the real ones are done.....

2 hours ago, echo said:

This is a nice looking model, the details you added make it stand out . It looks like the cars I used to see in that era. Exceptional model.

Thanks guys!! This one went immediately into one of my top 5 faves. The end result looks pretty much like how I envisioned, which is usually not the case for me, lol.

3 minutes ago, AMT68 said:

Your work is always impeccable and very well detailed.

I followed your WIP on this one and have a question. I noticed you foiled prior to clear coating and wondered if it were to "lock in" the foil or perhaps to change it's appearance with respect to brightness or shine?

Thank you Tom! My mindset is that the clear seals in the foil so it can be handled without freaking out about it "sliding around" on the surface, not that I overly handle or play with them, but I do pick them up by the roof edges often. I have noticed that clearing over the BMF does dull it just a little bit. Not too noticeable, but not quite as shiny so there is that pro and con for the individual to weigh.

That color looks absolutely perfect for that body style. Your gauge detailing really brings the interior alive. If I may pick a nit (since your build is so nicely detailed), on the rear of the floor pan, you have taken the silver of your gas tank to far, and painted a strip of the trunk floor at the rear. See where the "straps" on the gas tank "attach"? That should be floor pan color. I only mention because this is a beautifully detailed build otherwise, and I really like the realism of the chassis. Well done!