Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using one of my buddy's started projects as a jumping off point for my next project. There was some nice work done here but it has a crack and a damaged paint area in the roof above the driver's rear door. There is also a boogered area in the clear coat on the hood. Upon further inspection the bottom line of the tailgate is not scribed level. It rises a bit on the passenger side.

I sat for a bit and did some sanding on the hood and roof in order to see what the extent of damage was. I think I may need to grind out the crack in the roof a bit in order to fill it with some super glue and microballoons.

Here is what I started with and where I am so far. 

Later-

20210520_091718.jpg

20210520_091723.jpg

20210612_210855.jpg

20210612_211030.jpg

20210612_211156.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest guys! I like the work he did on this too. I just wish he would have finished it.

I remember when these came out too. I had a co worker who got one. I saw him drive it only a few times.  Seems strange to me that you never see them around nowadays.

Funny story- Just recently I while driving around town I had the thought that I never see the new (2000 ish) Tbirds. Within the next couple of hours I had four drive by me at different times.

Later-

One of my customers won An SSR, a giveaway through a parts distributor he did (does?) business with. I haven't seen him in awhile, but last I saw it, he was using his SSR as a work truck and it was pretty clapped out. He said overall the fit and finish was poor quality and it was a real rattletrap (good ole GM).... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

• 2 weeks later...

Been extremely busy lately and this morning before work was the first opportunity in a long while to do any model work. I sat down and carved a shallow trench where the crack in the roof was. Then I filled it with Microballons and super glue. Lastly I sanded it to rough shape. May need a thin coat of filler to reshape the roof.

Pretty exciting, I know. But it is progress. Hopefully this will keep it from cracking.

Later-

20210624_060612.jpg

20210624_061543.jpg

20210624_062455.jpg

20210624_062517.jpg

It just dawned on me as I was sitting here working on this tonight that I managed, yet again, to.put a WIP in the wrong section. This really should be in the pickup section. 

Anywho, doing some more work on this tonight. I got the roof sanded out and looking fairly smooth and even again. We will see how it looks with primer on it.

I also began straightening out the lower tailgate line. It rose slightly from left.to right. I started by taking measurements down from the top of the gate at each corner and fount that it rose about 1/32. Not much, but definitely noticeable over such a short distance. I used a metal ruler as a guide and scribed a new line with my panel scriber. Then, using the scriber and a sanding stick I cleaned paint out of the old line and roughed up the area for the putty to stick better. As I did this I thought to myself that I should have filled the old line with .010 styrene first. Oh well, if this doesn't work I'll try that next.

I also sanded a bit in the center of the tailgate as I saw a ghosting of a lock cylinder. 

Later-

20210701_222215.jpg

20210701_222304.jpg

20210701_222157.jpg

20210701_222910.jpg

20210701_225027.jpg

1 hour ago, David G. said:

I didn't realize that there was such a rake to the roofline, stretching the roof seems to accentuate it.

Looks like it's going to have an interesting roof line, more like a custom chop.

David G.

Yeah, the windshield is raked quite a bit on a stock SSR. I'm not sure if he raked it any more. I'll have to check it against the stock body I have.

35 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

I want to know why the picture of two Willys are in here.😎

Lol. I was repairing the door hinge and looking at trying to make the hood hinge work on the pickup. It is one of Mike's builds that Dorothy wanted to keep and I am trying to repair it for her. The coupe is just a painted body and chassis with nothing else. I was looking through some boxes for some shoes for it.

Later-

4 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Lol. I was repairing the door hinge and looking at trying to make the hood hinge work on the pickup. It is one of Mike's builds that Dorothy wanted to keep and I am trying to repair it for her. The coupe is just a painted body and chassis with nothing else. I was looking through some boxes for some shoes for it.

Later-

Make sure and thank her for giving me the opportunity to purchase all those models, I really appreciate it.  

• Like 1