Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Now in Under Glass Section

mustang1989

Thanks Carl, Jerry, Monty and Joe for the very flattering and encouraging comments.

BMF ing this was dang near impossible. I tried chrome silver paint which looked good initially and then over time it did some weird stuff. Set up wrong or something. Anyway it looked terrible.

7UJ1iL.jpg

This is where drastic measures are called for. Some may call me crazy for this but hey......ya gotta do what you've gotta do in modeling. I had a spare dash sooooooo. I cut it in half and cut the dash pad/ cover off of it to gain easy access to the outline of the passengers side of the dash for being able to cut a template out of BMF in which to place a perfectly cut BMF piece on that side.

injFLd.jpg

After creating an outline onto the BMF I cut it out to the exact shape and laid 'er into place. Not perfect....but I can live with this alot better than that other job.

uluwey.jpg

Still gotta do the column and steering wheel and will have to fabricate a turn signal lever for it as I cut the drumstick for a lever off of the column.

I ended up going over the left side of the dash with Molotow chrome and because of its flow properties it made its way into the nooks and crannys of the gauge clusters corners. After the Molotow had dried I shot a uniform coat of MM Acrylic Flat Coat over both sides of the dash trim bringing everything to a uniform finish. I then applied the Mustang medallion to the right side of the dash. Then the decals for the instruments went on and I painted the radio up, applied the chrome to the radio and light switch knobs. Ignition cylinder bezel went on and I inserted the keys into the ignition switch. PE pedal faces went onto the pedals and I picked out the chrome trim around the pedals.

I'm mostly content with this dash despite the difficulties presented with it but....I've had better.

iO6kXn.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2021 at 6:40 PM, Mopar - D said:

Nice looking dash Joe!  

On 10/11/2021 at 4:07 AM, slusher said:

Nice work and techniche on your dash. I use a punch or cut the dash decals out and glue them in place with the paper backs and the look nice and smooth on the dash..

Thanks Dan and Carl!! 

Alright gang. I'm sure some of you have wondered just what in the world has happened to me as far as being around in the last couple of months. Yesterday was the FIRST day in around 2 months that I've had any free time at all just because it was a Thanksgiving Holiday here in the states. I'm also off till Monday so I get a few more days off. Guys it been tough to say the least. Things at work have changed to the point that I don't even recognize where I work anymore. I ran that place for 6 + years and it was going good and then within the course of a year I found myself out on the floor turning wrenches. The lady that took my place as shop supervisor.....man....what a story. The saving grace in all of this is that they haven't changed my pay from supervisor pay to technician pay so I definitely have that to be thankful for. Couple that with the fact that I've been terribly sick twice now in the last two months and had to miss out on 2-1/2 weeks of work because of it and then our sons truck getting hit by a hit and run driver last month. Frickin' whirlwind of busyness & setbacks and jacks with one's mental state and ability to enjoy anything that they love doing like....modeling for instance. 

I'm starting to come to terms with work and the truck wreck issues are getting sorted out and my son is now back on the road again. Hang with me fellas if you will. I'm finding that there are limits to what one human being is capable of with everything going on in the back ground and that something had to give but I'm making my comeback slowly.

Updates coming soon.................

Alright gang. Update time....

I made an attempt at a wood grain steering wheel a while back and just wasn’t happy with it. Just looked all plain Jane and all. Plus I had used the stock Mustang steering wheel with that big ol’ bonker pad on there and I never could stand that thing in my car so I replaced it on the real car with a woodgrain wheel with a normal horn button. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I did the same thing here too.

First attempt:

I knew this was going to be alot of work so I stayed up late at night laying the groundwork for the steering column and wheel completion today. I woke up the next day and managed to get it to a point to where I’m going to be okay with it.

I used some scale PE rivets that I have from the Model Car Garage that I inserted into each one of the cavities once I had everything painted up.

Take II…which I am MUCH happier with.

• Like 1

I frequently haunt the WIP section so I don't know how I managed to miss this one but I'm glad I found it.

Now that I'm all caught up all I can say is:

Amazing Work!

I love all the detail you've added, all of it extremely well done too. There's just too much great stuff going on to comment on any specific thing.

David G.

I'm glad to see you back buddy and like my peers I hope things will turn around for the better, time fixes everything but sometimes traces remain...   You are one of the first on this forum with whom I have been in contact and your taste for precision matches mine, you always put impressive efforts to recreate certain details and your steering wheel is still a good example!  It's a good job my friend, the whole dash is awesome! 👌

23 hours ago, slusher said:

Sterling wheel looks great Joe..

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers and for following along Carl. 

14 hours ago, David G. said:

I frequently haunt the WIP section so I don't know how I managed to miss this one but I'm glad I found it.

Now that I'm all caught up all I can say is:

Amazing Work!

I love all the detail you've added, all of it extremely well done too. There's just too much great stuff going on to comment on any specific thing.

David G.

Thanks Dave!! Always glad to have you on board bud.

14 hours ago, TooOld said:

That dash and steering wheel look terrific !  I like the PE rivets added to the steering wheel .

'Preciate it Bob!! Yeah that was a pretty trying feat to get all those dang rivets in there. lol 

11 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I'm glad to see you back buddy and like my peers I hope things will turn around for the better, time fixes everything but sometimes traces remain...   You are one of the first on this forum with whom I have been in contact and your taste for precision matches mine, you always put impressive efforts to recreate certain details and your steering wheel is still a good example!  It's a good job my friend, the whole dash is awesome! 👌

Francis!!!! Thank you for your words of encouragement pal. Glad you dropped in and looking forward to more work on that awesome Dodge truck that you're working on.

Here's the results of the work on the console, seats and seat belts.

spacer.png

The back seat, front floor mats and shifter coming up in the next update

spacer.png

I got my license plates in the mail today...juuuuuust like the one's on my old car......

spacer.png

Even got the "Have you chased a Mustang lately" tag frame on it.

spacer.png

On 12/2/2021 at 5:37 AM, David G. said:

The interior is finishing up nicely. The plates will be a nice touch.

David G.

Thanks Dave! I was really stoked about them plates man.

On 12/2/2021 at 5:55 AM, afx said:

Clean work as always Joe.

Thanks JC!! Man....I really need to get over to Motorsports dude. I'll be gandering that way today.

20 hours ago, Dominik said:

excellent work Joe! i just dropped in and read all the pages from your work - great!

keep modeling 😉

Thanks for following and for the comments Dominik.

Progress is still ongoing. Finished the center console and shifter finally. This shifter is meant to replicate the Hurst shifter that was in my Car #2 and #3. It was a great short throw shifter.

bEm39h.jpg

I replicated it using a push pin and started by smoothing out the mold lines in the white plastic ball and then etching out the shift pattern with my X-Acto knife and then going over the etching with a dark wash to bring out the gear pattern. Don't worry about those nasty ejector pin marks in the front corners of the flooring. They'll be covered up by the AM floor mats I'll be using. 

spacer.png

Hi Joe! Well, I had somehow missed this one. Just got caught up. First, I hope all is well with you and your family, sorry to hear you have had some difficult times. It sounds like you have a good attitude about it and are on the upswing. 
Now the Mustang, what a fantastic looking build. Great details throughout on the engine, interior and chassis. You do beautiful work my friend, I’ll be watching as you finish this one up.

• Thanks 1

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Now in Under Glass Section