Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, don't forget that this was recently released as well. All they have to do is basically change the wheels and delete the Monster suspension and wheels. 

Datsun Monster Pickup - MPC | Car-model-kit.com

They could. But, I honestly don't know why they would. Unless they have two different molds for the cab. I can't see them going to the trouble of reverting the last issue back to a flip front end. If they do the stock/custom version, I'll get one. If it's the gasser version, I won't. 

Edited by Plowboy

8 hours ago, larman said:

That's not the original issue. The original issues were 2 separate kits: Issued around 1965

1158178-26866-54-720.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Actually it's exactly the other way around.  The Wild Ones ki came first.  Then the tool was run with the individual bodies as two separate kits around 1966.    Note that the individual version boxes reflect the MPC box art layout as also seen in their 1966 annual kits....TB 

• Thanks 1

How sweet would a multiple offering of the Datsun pickup be! A big ol' box with both cabs (stock, and flip front), step side bed, custom chassis/frame, "fleet" side bed, 240-Z wheel covers (Scavenger version of the tow truck), etc., etc.,
That way one can build, say, a Weber Side Draft four banger version, with the flip front (fill-in the cutout), 240-Z wheel covers, lowered, etc. 
Or how about an SBC powered, stock cab with tow truck rig, off road tyres wrapped around stock 6 lug wheels.

FWIW, it's nice to see the return of the Monkeemobile. The only assembly issue I'd encountered with the c.1990 Blueprinter release I'd built earlier this year, was the trumpets for the exhaust (four fiddly trumpets collected in a tiny "[|" shaped housing). Not one for us with arthritis! 

I didn't realise that the '29 Ford pickup/woodie was originally an MPC kit. Even as far back as 1988 when I read Tim Boyd's SAE article/ build-up of that kit, I didn't make the connection (even if Herr Boyd mentioned this fact, and it slipped past me). He'd mentioned the Hot Curl figure, the Schwinn bike (still included), and a cardboard hut, and bemoaned the exclusion of the former and the latter.

I wonder if the roof was corrected for the Aqua Man version of the G-20 van?

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

They could. But, I honestly don't know why they would. Unless they have two different molds for the cab. I can't see them going to the trouble of reverting the last issue back to a flip front end. If they do the stock/custom version, I'll get one. If it's the gasser version, I won't. 

There are two different cabs (stock and separate front end) as well as two interior buckets, and two beds (stock and stepside).  Only one chassis (drag version has stock front suspension).  MPC issued the Datsun pickup with every combination of parts anyone could dream up.  But the flip-front version always had the Chevy engine, the stock cab versions always had the stock engine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

There are two different cabs (stock and separate front end) as well as two interior buckets, and two beds (stock and stepside).  Only one chassis (drag version has stock front suspension).  MPC issued the Datsun pickup with every combination of parts anyone could dream up.  But the flip-front version always had the Chevy engine, the stock cab versions always had the stock engine.

Thanx for that info Mark! I was in a discussion years ago about the stock Datsun pickup and someone commented that it couldn't be brought back to stock because it was modified into the gasser. Then later into the monster truck. 

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Actually it's exactly the other way around.  The Wild Ones ki came first.  Then the tool was run with the individual bodies as two separate kits around 1966.    Note that the individual version boxes reflect the MPC box art layout as also seen in their 1966 annual kits....TB 

Oh. My info said the separate kits were 1965 and the Wild One was 1966. I saw it on the internet, so it must be true... 😉 Well, serves me right for trying to be a know it all, when it doesn't really matter anyway!😁

4 hours ago, keyser said:

Original Aquarod van was the issue with flat roof, fixed side panels, and portholes. Doubt they’d change it as that’s in active tool bank. 

Thanks much for that info. I didn't pay attention to the earlier --optional side lights/ filler panels, separate hood, etc.-- iterations of the AMT G30 vans, as I was too young (first glue kit was in 1975, 1976; age 6 for me).
IIRC, my first AMT G30 was the Candy Van, c.1976 or 1977. The earlier vans --c.1972-c.1975-- had the correct roof? I know that the A-TEAM 'GMC' had a different roof (including the requisite sunroof opening and crescent cutouts for the roof lamps [among other compulsory items]), but that's where I've lost track of the changes. 

I did a search of the forum but didn’t come up with much…does anyone know about the truck included in this release?:

4E2390E7-2EDD-43F3-A805-96B7A65C30CC.jpeg.a03cfe9a992a913057d2ee955394e0a7.jpeg

I assume it isn’t meant to represent anything that actually existed, and probably doesn’t include an engine or anything much in terms of suspension and drivetrain?  

28 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I did a search of the forum but didn’t come up with much…does anyone know about the truck included in this release?:

4E2390E7-2EDD-43F3-A805-96B7A65C30CC.jpeg.a03cfe9a992a913057d2ee955394e0a7.jpeg

I assume it isn’t meant to represent anything that actually existed, and probably doesn’t include an engine or anything much in terms of suspension and drivetrain?  

I think it was just based on the futuristic trend going on at the time. But if someone has real info on it, I would like to hear it as well 

1966 Chevrolet Turbo Titan III Was Powered by a Gas Turbine Engine -  autoevolution

@CabDriver
Just a showcar vision. 
The dual kit truck has promo style engine insert, no glass roof. Also does not have the pivot dampeners for chassis. 
The Daytona Transport kit a few years back had a TH425 behind a chrome Pontiac OHC six, which was a weird choice but useable elsewhere. The cab articulation had dampeners too, actually would operate. 
Roof over bed, and a clear+ plastic fairing that covered rear cab fairing also on DT kit. 
Neither has tailgate hinge or ramps. 
Cool, had both as kid, collected over years, surprised they came back. 

Edited by keyser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keyser said:

@CabDriver
Just a showcar vision. 
The dual kit truck has promo style engine insert, no glass roof. Also does not have the pivot dampeners for chassis. 
The Daytona Transport kit a few years back had a TH425 behind a chrome Pontiac OHC six, which was a weird choice but useable elsewhere. The cab articulation had dampeners too, actually would operate. 
Roof over bed, and a clear+ plastic fairing that covered rear cab fairing also on DT kit. 
Neither has tailgate hinge or ramps. 
Cool, had both as kid, collected over years, surprised they came back. 

I alway thought this and the Daytona Transport were the same truck, just without the clear bed cover. Does this one pivot?

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I alway thought this and the Daytona Transport were the same truck, just without the clear bed cover. Does this one pivot?

Yes. Both do. Odd, one is like a promo-ish/Craftsman, other has the glass, engine, etc. 

On 8/18/2022 at 8:49 AM, Fabrux said:

Meanwhile, back at Topicville...

AMT-1333 1/25 Coke 1929 Ford Woody Pickup Truck

AMT-1338 1/25 Aqua Rod Race Team 1975 Chevy Van, Race Boat & Trailer

AMT-1339 1/25 Alaskan Hauler Kenworth Tractor Cab

AMT-1352 1/25 Lennie Pond 1974 Chevy Malibu Stock Car

AMT-1365 1/25 1967 Oldsmobile 442

MPC-982 1/25 Li'l Hustler 1975 Datsun Pickup Truck

MPC-984 1/24 Space 1999: Moonbuggy/Amphicat

MPC-996 1/25 Monkeemobile from TV Series

So, I'm guessing that none of these is the "mystery" kit eluded to months ago? 

24 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

AMT-1365  1967 Oldsmobile 442. 

????

I have the AMT-6268  1966 Olds 442.

So is this a typo; actually being the 1966 that AMT indeed did make, or is it actually the LINDBERG 1967 Olds 442?

I'd be very happy if it is indeed the LINDBERG 1967!

The Lindberg ‘67 was last out 6 years ago, they probably are reissuing it with AMT retro style box art like they are doing with the ‘66 Chevelle. 

AMT-1365 1/25 1967 Oldsmobile 442 is the Lindberg kit in new AMT packaging and made in the USA. 

MPC-982 1/25 Li'l Hustler 1975 Datsun is a Flip Front Drag version.  Unfortunately, there's no way to run the Stock parts and the Drag parts at the same time the way the inserts are designed.  

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The Lindberg ‘67 was last out 6 years ago, they probably are reissuing it with AMT retro style box art like they are doing with the ‘66 Chevelle. 

5 hours ago, SteveG said:

AMT-1365 1/25 1967 Oldsmobile 442 is the Lindberg kit in new AMT packaging and made in the USA. 

MPC-982 1/25 Li'l Hustler 1975 Datsun is a Flip Front Drag version.  Unfortunately, there's no way to run the Stock parts and the Drag parts at the same time the way the inserts are designed.  

-Steve

A bit surprised but also not surprised by the '67 Olds 442.  Since it was out more recently, I would expect there to be more demand for the AMT '66.  Notwithstanding the '66 vs '67 model year differences, I and many others would argue that the '66 is superior to the '67.

On the other hand, maybe the fact that the tooling is here in the states and ready to run is a big factor?  I'm sure with current conditions, they can get these cranked out and on the shelves in a fraction of the time it would take for production/shipping from China and then getting them through the ports.

I am glad to hear that this tooling is remaining in the USA (at least keep a couple of eggs in a separate basket).  Smart move also to rebrand as AMT, the Lindberg name is just too associated with the junk they made pre-1990s.

Edited by Robberbaron