Model Cars Magazine Forum

The evil twin...mid 1960's type BB/SR drag racing street roadster...

tim boyd

This is the other drag racing street roadster I built at the same time as the A/SR model also shown in this section of the MCM Forum.  It was also featured in the two-part story in the other model car mag showing the concurrent buildup of both models.  

The basic buildup used the AMT Trophy Series 1929 Model A Roadster body, and the blown 283 along with wheels and tires from the old (and at the time, recently reissued) MPC 1960 Corvette kit.  The paint was (IIRC) Tamiya Pearl White aerosol with decanted/airbrushed Tamiya Clear Blue heavy panel fogged accents.  The headers were from the MPC 1932 Chevy Cabriolet kit if I am recalling correctly.  Suspensions were kitbashed to an appropriate BB/SR configuration.  The "Panella Brothers" livery and the quarter eliptic sprung quick change rear axle setups were from the most recent reissue (at the time of the build) of the Revell Austin Gasser kit.  As the build was for a magazine article, I kept the parts sourcing to a minimum number of kits (reader feedback over time had indicated some level of frustration when I used parts from too many other kits for magazine projects).  

Happy to try to answer any questions you might have....and thanks for checking this one out. 

DSC 0615

DSC 0606

DSC 0605

DSC 0612

DSC 0611

DSC 0607

DSC 0613

DSC 0614

DSC 0619

DSC 0618

DSC 0448

DSC 0461

And finally, here's a look at this one along with the A/SR model (in its first form, before the updates shown in my thread below) beside it.  Thanks again for looking....TIM

DSC 0521

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 6

Outstanding; beautiful paint and great overall look.  Now, my ocd kicks in.  Please call it a AA/SR, as there was no BB/SR, only B/SR (unsupercharged).  Did you put a small clear windshield on later, as you did on the A/SR?  And, that pesky fuel hose fell off the tank in one of the photos.  

8F4F8518-B91C-452B-97F6-D8DB281E68F6.png

9 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Outstanding; beautiful paint and great overall look.  Now, my ocd kicks in.  Please call it a AA/SR, as there was no BB/SR, only B/SR (unsupercharged).  Did you put a small clear windshield on later, as you did on the A/SR?  And, that pesky fuel hose fell off the tank in one of the photos.  

8F4F8518-B91C-452B-97F6-D8DB281E68F6.png

Ron....my research at the time confirmed BB/SR class designation for what I would characterize as blown small block racecars, so either my research was faulty or...???    Perhaps both situations are correct, depending on the specific year of the rulebooks being consulted?  

Unlike the A/SR model, I didn't go back and add detail after completion, so no, no windshield on this one.  This model was always intended to be the compliment or accent to the other one; that was more fully kitbashed and detailed from the very start, whereas this one was the companion model built at the same time to show the differences in the /SR drag racing genre.  This one was also intended to be a little earlier in the decade (such as the wheel/tire configuration).   

Thanks for the compliment on the paint and such.  Much appreciated.  

As for the fuel line, thanks for catching that.  I've been frustrated at times about photographing my models, then finding something wrong in looking the photos that I did not see in real life.  Fortunately, this one is a two-minute fix.  Other ones, not always the case. 

Thanks again, and I do appreciate you fly-specking my photos.  Gives us more to talk about!  :)   Best......TIM 

8 hours ago, James2 said:

Inspiring as always Tim, thanks for sharing. The link is the build I did after reading the original story you posted.

Thanks James....I recall your project very well.   For a model car author, nothing beats knowing that one of your articles inspired a project by another talented model car builder! 

For others reading this thread, be sure to click on James' link as there are three pages of drag racing Street Roadster models from a variety of very talented builders, as well as additional images of James' car.  Cool, cool stuff. 

Best....TB  

• Like 1

What a beautiful blue fade paint job! This one as well as your previously posted altered roadster is inspiring me to pull my AMT ‘29 roadster out of my stash and take a stab at a similar vintage drag roadster. The cycle fenders and stance on both of these roadsters are particularly appealing to me. Love both of them Tim, thanks for posting!

8 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

What a beautiful blue fade paint job! This one as well as your previously posted altered roadster is inspiring me to pull my AMT ‘29 roadster out of my stash and take a stab at a similar vintage drag roadster. The cycle fenders and stance on both of these roadsters are particularly appealing to me. Love both of them Tim, thanks for posting!

John....tanks for your comments, and really enthused to hear your plans.  One idea here would be to use the front cycle fenders in the Revell Rat Roaster Deuce kit ....these were not available when I built my drag racing Street Roadsters and i suspect these Rat Roaster parts would fit well and save a bunch of building time....   Of course, if the updated Revell Deuce Highboy Roadster kit hits the market in the next month or two, presumably that will still have the fenders you need (hope, hope!).  

Best of luck with your build and please share your progress with us here if you are so inclined.....TIM 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is killer, Tim! Very authentic looking and I especially like the fade paint. Also dig that last 3/4 rear shot with the headers coming down and quick change poking out. Looks ready to conduct business! 

(I also had a laugh that you got complaints for using too many sources for your kit-bash projects. Sorry folks, that’s the name of the game! 🤣)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

This is killer, Tim! Very authentic looking and I especially like the fade paint. Also dig that last 3/4 rear shot with the headers coming down and quick change poking out. Looks ready to conduct business! 

(I also had a laugh that you got complaints for using too many sources for your kit-bash projects. Sorry folks, that’s the name of the game! 🤣)

Thanks Dennis, Dave, Gary, Scott....and....Scott!      '

Dennis....yes, that was my reaction too. 

But when you are writing for the mags, and the mag reader feedback is.....well, I had to keep that in mind for future projects.   Surprisingly enough, it came not only from more mainstream/less advanced builders, but also from a name or two I think a number of you would recognize and who I still, to this day, highly respect for their modeling talent, and in once case, for his personal friendship.  

I think also today people are more aware of the outcome down the road (when trying to sell a kit) of having sourced just a part or two from that box when building their latest project.  And there is so much good stuff in the aftermarket that you don't really need to raid the kit inventory like we used to do.  (Yep, I am rationalizing here....smile.)  

Of course, back in the MPC national contest days we could have cared less.  It was always (at least for me), look through your entire kit inventory and choose the single part that was the most detailed and best application for the future contest winner taking shape on your desk...!   

Best to you all....TIM 

• 2 weeks later...