Model Cars Magazine Forum

A different view on posting hot rod pickups, El Caminos, Rancheros etc.

alan barton

Hi guys,

First off, with all due respect to the moderators on this forum , I think you do a great job and can't begin to imagine the work involved to make it such a fun place to visit.

But  I do have a suggestion that perhaps could suit the interests and passions of modellers on this board.

Recently I posted a hot rod pickup  in Model Cars Under Glass and it got moved to Trucks, Light Commercials, Pickups, Vans. I always look at hot rod pickups as cars, not trucks, and I think there are some other hot rod modellers out there that think like me. I've done it before and had them moved before and it is simply because I forget that on this forum they don't fall under cars.

Rather than re-arrange the categories, which would force extra work on our moderators, could we consider doing this.

If a light commercial vehicle has passenger car front sheetmetal, it goes in Model Cars - ie - pre war Ford and Chevy pickups, Rancheros, El Caminos, Aussie utes and Panel Vans, Sedan Deliveries.

If a vehicle has truck front sheetmetal only, ie F-100s, Chevy C series, Dodge Sweptsides, Box Vans and the like, it goes in Light Commercials.

To my mind this would be more logical - I think of the above vehicles to have more car like qualities than truck-like. But if I am simply having a middle aged rant and everyone else thinks I am crazy, that's fine too and I will try to remember to put my utes and hot rod pickups in the correct place in future.

Anyone else got an opinion on this - let's discuss.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xingu said:

Ask 99 people and we will get 100 different ways to do it.

Right now, the rule is if it has a bed it is a truck.

OK, so, That USPS Pinto that's coming out, , If it's built exactly as shown on the box, does it go in the cars section or light commercial section?

I's not a private civilian vehicle, it's a light commercial vehicle that was used by the US Postal Service. Shouldn't that go in light commercial?  

I agree 100% - a 27T with a turtledeck really isn't very different to the exact same car but with a little pickup bed on back.  Not what I would consider a 'truck' - but technically ought to be in the truck section.  It would be cool for an exception to be made for hot-rod type trucks to be in with the other hot rods - but I don't disagree that it would be tricky to categorize sometimes exactly which thing goes where.  Not least because sometimes something could fit in two places.

As a compromise, I'd probably move the NASCAR and 'Other racing' categories down the sort order some, seeing as they're less popular than some of the categories currently below them - that would bump the trucks up somewhat and get more eyeballs on them (which is probably why people would like to be able to post trucks in the more popular 'cars' category in the first place):

Untitled-2.jpg.a589f9d4cb65296d6255e2ff791d6c0e.jpg

'Too long, didn't read version'; would be nice to be able to post hot rod trucks in with hot rod cars, even if it means having to loosen up the definitions somewhat

On 9/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, Can-Con said:

OK, so, That USPS Pinto that's coming out, , If it's built exactly as shown on the box, does it go in the cars section or light commercial section?

I's not a private civilian vehicle, it's a light commercial vehicle that was used by the US Postal Service. Shouldn't that go in light commercial?  

What if it is a privately owned tribute to a USPS Pinto?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Nice non-answer.

Seriously though. I'd like a strait answer please.

Will have to see when one gets posted. Lots of cars remain in the car section even if they have lettering on the side. If it has a bed, it will go in the truck section with the Rancheros and El Caminos. Like I mentioned in my original post, the rule as it stands now is that if it has a truck bed, it goes in trucks. We may revisit it later.

As many already do, you can post it wherever you want, we will move it if we feel you posted in the wrong section.

As most people know, there is usually not a single solution for every possibility. We do the best we can to keep the forum running smoothly.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Xingu said:

Will have to see when one gets posted. Lots of cars remain in the car section even if they have lettering on the side. If it has a bed, it will go in the truck section with the Rancheros and El Caminos. Like I mentioned in my original post, the rule as it stands now is that if it has a truck bed, it goes in trucks. We may revisit it later.

As many already do, you can post it wherever you want, we will move it if we feel you posted in the wrong section.

As most people know, there is usually not a single solution for every possibility. We do the best we can to keep the forum running smoothly.

OK, cool. 

This discussion is getting to the point of nit picking and splitting hairs over descriptions.

I would suggest remove the words ' Model Trucks' from both of the WIP headings.

Replace with just 'Light Commercial Vehicles. Pickup Trucks and Vans'

'Heavy Commercial Vehicles, Big Rigs and Equipment.    Changing those two headings alone may clarify things a bit.

SUV's (sport utility vehicles) and MPV's (multi purpose vehicles) in reality are just another form of car to most of us, so I feel should really be in WIP Model Cars.

Personally I would like to see Custom Vehicles in a separate slot as well as Motor Cycles, but unlikely as it would create new headings.    But maybe the headings do need to be expanded a bit?

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2022 at 5:20 AM, alan barton said:

Hi guys

Anyone else got an opinion on this - let's discuss.

Cheers

Alan

I think I have a simpler idea most people will like and less work for all. Let the trucks go where they will. If it is a truck like vehicle, let it go into any forum that has trucks. If it is a car like vehicle (Camino, etc) let the owner put it in trucks or cars forum. What is the big deal. If they want to put it in Hot Rod trucks, so what if it is not quite like a traditional rod. Why go to such trouble to move them around when it is not a serious placement problem. Where can I put my Corvetruck (soon to be displayed)? Why cant i put it in any reasonable forum (Trucks, Cars, Hotrod trucks, etc)? Take it easy and dont sweat the little stuff. Plenty of bigger problems to go after.

Edited by JPL-ACE

14 hours ago, KWT said:

No disrespect intended... but seems if it's a "hot rod pickup", then it's a pickup...

It is, yes. The point I am clumsily trying to male is that my Corvetruck (for example) is arguably a truck and a car so I should be able to put it in either category (or both). The movement is a waste of time for all. It is debatable and therefore a choice and I dont see it as requiring a debate as it is of little consequence. Just trying to reduce the load on administrators in the end, actually.

• 2 months later...