Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roger Hayes

slusher

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 7:59 AM, slusher said:

Have not received a return answer from 2 pms from Roger Hayes..

Hi  Carl, I’ve been missing his contributions here as well. Roger is one of my favourite builders. I have sent a PM with no reply yet either. Hope he is well, and back here soon. 

On 2/22/2023 at 8:59 PM, Steve H said:

Hi  Carl, I’ve been missing his contributions here as well. Roger is one of my favourite builders. I have sent a PM with no reply yet either. Hope he is well, and back here soon. 

Mailed him a card to see how he is doing.  No word back yet…

• Like 2

I have also been wondering about Roger.  After reading the posts here I did some checking on line, it doesn’t look good…

Check this link.  https://www.lakesfuneralhomemckee.com/obituaries/Roger-Dale-Hayes?obId=26835242  .  While I’m not 100% sure it’s him, it definitely appears that this is our friend, in one of his last posts he mentioned he had COVID.   While it all seems to fit together…I hope I’m wrong.

5 hours ago, Flatout said:

I have also been wondering about Roger.  After reading the posts here I did some checking on line, it doesn’t look good…

Check this link.  https://www.lakesfuneralhomemckee.com/obituaries/Roger-Dale-Hayes?obId=26835242  .  While I’m not 100% sure it’s him, it definitely appears that this is our friend, in one of his last posts he mentioned he had COVID.   While it all seems to fit together…I hope I’m wrong.

Man I hope this is not him. With his avatar name “Plowboy” the farmer part seems to fit. This would be absolutely terrible. His last post was the day before…  His profile shows he visited on the 17th, so I hope that was indeed him. I’ve never met met him, but I know we would get along. I sure hope you’re wrong Pete.

7 hours ago, Steve H said:

Man I hope this is not him. With his avatar name “Plowboy” the farmer part seems to fit. This would be absolutely terrible. His last post was the day before…  His profile shows he visited on the 17th, so I hope that was indeed him. I’ve never met met him, but I know we would get along. I sure hope you’re wrong Pete.

I agree, man do I ever hope that's not him, but have a bad feeling it is.  He's such an accomplished builder and I've learned quite a bit from him over the years.  We traded some parts last year that went into his 62 Galaxie.  

Guys, found some info and it’s not looking good.  The obituary at the link I posted is for Roger D. Hayes from Tyner Kentucky.  A few years ago I sent Roger some parts and still have his address, sadly it matches the address listed here…

https://www.yellowbook.com/people/roger-hayes/kentucky/

Rest in peace Plowboy, you will be missed.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Steve H said:

His last post if he left it on the forum any one turning the computer on would show he signed in.  His last post to what I can find out. Is when he died. I had found the obituary but never said anything yet hoping I was wrong. I have been sad for a couple of weeks over Roger. I am a year older than him . 

• Sad 1

Wow!

Talk about unexpected!

Just another example of why we should all live our lives like today could be our last.

Roger was a truly talented builder, and his presence will be missed greatly on this forum.

I for one was always interested in, and following along with whatever project he was working on.

I would have never guessed in a million years that something like this was coming, especially at such an early age.

Being 4 years older than Roger, it really gets you thinking about your own mortality.

Rest in peace Roger.

We’re really going to miss you around here!

Steve

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 10:45 PM, slusher said:

I was going to Ky to my grandmothers gave and was going by to see Roger on my way back. I have known him tru the forums since 05…

Sorry you lost a friend Carl. We've all lost a very talented model builder. I feel quite fortunate to have learned from his experiences. 

• Like 1

I haven’t been posting on the board, or have been at the bench much, but, I posted a video from YouTube that was about the passing of Chris Cortel. I’ve never spoke to him personally, but, I watched his videos frequently. 
Then I found out that Roger passed also. He was always kind, and would be happy to share his knowledge of kits, and his building. His builds were very inspiring. Recently turning 57 myself, and Roger being 56 is WAY TOO YOUNG, to be leaving this world. I’d like to send thoughts to his family, and to the other members on here, that called him a friend, and that knew him better than I did. Life is short. Live it to the fullest. 

• Like 1

Sadly I can now confirm Roger passed on Jan. 4th. I received a reply to a PM I had sent to him from his wife. Even with the information Pete posted above I was hopeful that it was somehow incorrect. This news hit me pretty hard. Like Carl, I didn’t want to believe it. Anyone that follows my builds,  knows that I loved Rogers work.  He was an extremely talented builder, I absolutely loved his “style”, and he was definitely one of my favourite people on this forum. He was always more than happy to share with all of us. As mentioned above he definitely leaves a hole here in the forum. I wish I’d had the opportunity to meet him in person. After reading his obituary, I realized I had much more in common with him than just model cars. I’m 2 years younger than him, but as Steve G mentioned above, it certainly makes you realize that life is short, enjoy it!!  

RIP Roger, you will be missed my friend…

• Sad 1