Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 minute ago, Renegade said:

Mine didn't have one yet. Seriously thinking of getting one just for the go cart.

I was surprised to see it here, I grabbed the only one I saw. It wasn't on the shelves with the other kits, but on one of the smaller shelves in the aisle near the model section. I went in for a can of paint, but couldn't resist it. It's a nice kit, and the go kart looks cool.

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

My local Hobby Lobby told me they won’t be in till the end of January. I don’t know if that covers all their store. It’s January inventory time. 

I think they might get one kit early, and I just happened to get this one this time. A month or so ago I noticed a big box of stuff on the floor in the model section, and in it were the AMT 70 Chevelle, and the Old Pro Nova. They were apparently sold, and I haven't seen either one since then.

14 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Quite common to see one at the side of the road with broken trunions, if you didn't keep them greased the brass screw used to snap off.

That reminds me of a comment about another British car: "Triumph Stag owners stood by their cars. Usually because they couldn't get the doors open."

Back on-topic, thanks for letting us know the R2 '60 Chevy Pickup is out.  I've been haunting Hobby Lobby looking for that one. Just last week I was in the closest HL and it had the '70 Chevelle and Old Pro Nova, so the new stuff is showing up. The Michael's closest to me seems to be re-stocking the model shelves, too.  On my last visit Michael's also had more Testors paint and accessories than I'd seen previously.  Stuff like the Weathering Markers, etc.

13 hours ago, ewetwo said:

My local Hobby Lobby told me they won’t be in till the end of January. I don’t know if that covers all their store. It’s January inventory time. 

Went to Vernon Hills yesterday and it wasn't there yet; they did have some papers taped to the shelves that I think were for inventory. Will check Deerfield later this week.

3 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Looks to be a very nice kit.

The Monogram Macks are nice kits. Also easy to find and not very expensive.  I've seen that Tank Truck painted in camouflage as a WWI military vehicle.  The Monograms are 1926 trucks but the real thing doesn't seem to have changed much from 1918.

You'll sometimes see this old double Mack kit, released many years ago.  It was a special run Monogram did for Depot G Hobbies, a model train company.  I think Depot G is out of business now. The kit included the Monogram Stake and Tank trucks.  Like the regular Monogram kits, it seems to go for reasonable prices, even at Famous Auction Site.

depotg.jpg

6 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The Monogram Macks are nice kits. Also easy to find and not very expensive.  I've seen that Tank Truck painted in camouflage as a WWI military vehicle.  The Monograms are 1926 trucks but the real thing doesn't seem to have changed much from 1918.

You'll sometimes see this old double Mack kit, released many years ago.  It was a special run Monogram did for Depot G Hobbies, a model train company.  I think Depot G is out of business now. The kit included the Monogram Stake and Tank trucks.  Like the regular Monogram kits, it seems to go for reasonable prices, even at Famous Auction Site.

depotg.jpg

Thank you for the info, I’ll have to keep a look out for more. As I’ve already been doing:lol:

On 1/12/2019 at 8:21 PM, martinfan5 said:

Its a decal try,  you put the decal on the blue sponge piece, then dip in the water and the bring it back up till the decal comes free of the backing paper, I am working on a review video for it . 

Jonathan, where did you find that? Looks handy....

I got this 1957 Chevy in the mail today for $8.00 including shipping. I think it's an early kit? But an easy one to mess around with. I bought the Lincoln because I have a 1962 annual model. I've located an original front bumper piece. And hopefully the hood. But the red tail lights are hard to find. I bid on a pair on eBay and I stopped at $10.50 plus $5.00 shipping. This kit was $19 and change with a discount coupon at HL. I figure it's a better way to get the tail lights I need and I'll build this kit custom. Yes. You heard me right. And use the taillights in my annual. The monster truck I picked up thinking someone in the club might want it. I know all kits are not availible to everyone nationwide. I also used my new paint booth this past weekend and it worked out fine. I primed a 62 Chevy 409. A Christine Plymouth. A 55 Chevy Stepside. A 64 CHevy SS. And a 56 Ford Victoria. Next comes painting them in a few weeks after the primer airs out. All but the Christine model were started kits that I bought at garage sales to play and learn more about the art of painting. Maybe even get my air brush going. 

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

On 1/13/2019 at 3:52 AM, RichCostello said:

I think they might get one kit early, and I just happened to get this one this time. A month or so ago I noticed a big box of stuff on the floor in the model section, and in it were the AMT 70 Chevelle, and the Old Pro Nova. They were apparently sold, and I haven't seen either one since then.

I was at the Hobby Lobby today and they are doing inventory. Like 70 people there doing it. Here in NYS. If you own a business. You have to pay tax on the inventory in your store during the month of January. Reason there are so many big sales during this month be it automobiles, furniture, or what ever. Might be why the manager told me the new models will be released at the end of the month. Easier inventory of its sealed in a huge box and not on the shelves. It might also mean mark downs in February if certain kits didn't move. 

Edited by ewetwo

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I believe your '57 Chevy is a recent snap kit done by Revell.  It's got great proportions and finishes well.

For $8.00 I had to buy it. No opening doors, trunk or hood. LOL I have one I bought from the store last year that is molded all in red and has sportier wheels. That's why I thought it might be older. But none the leas an easy build right? :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I bought the Lincoln because I have a 1962 annual model. I've located an original front bumper piece. And hopefully the hood. But the red tail lights are hard to find. I bid on a pair on eBay and I stopped at $10.50 plus $5.00 shipping. This kit was $19 and change with a discount coupon at HL. I figure it's a better way to get the tail lights I need and I'll build this kit custom. Yes. You heard me right. And use the taillights in my annual.

image2.jpeg

David, I'm afraid you have some work ahead of you. The '65 tail light lenses are smaller than the '62s, plus the '62 doesn't have the ribs that the '65 does. You can fix this by gluing a piece of clear red (I used a number tab from the red sprue) to the bottom of the lens, shape it to match, then file off the ribs and carefully polish it smooth. You'll have to reshape the back slightly at the top to fit the '62 bezels. I've done this a couple times with some kits I've rebuilt. Good luck!

8 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

David, I'm afraid you have some work ahead of you. The '65 tail light lenses are smaller than the '62s, plus the '62 doesn't have the ribs that the '65 does. You can fix this by gluing a piece of clear red (I used a number tab from the red sprue) to the bottom of the lens, shape it to match, then file off the ribs and carefully polish it smooth. You'll have to reshape the back slightly at the top to fit the '62 bezels. I've done this a couple times with some kits I've rebuilt. Good luck!

Well. I've never done this before so it will be a challenge seeing I have Renaud's disease. I can't feel anything with my finger tips so I have a very difficult time with the tiny parts like mirrors, door handles, lenses and such. And tweezers don't help because I can't tell how much pressure I'm squeezing so most time they pop out of the tweezers and I end up spending a hour looking for what ever it was that took flight. :) I'll keep looking for them online. I wish someone could make resin copies as there seems to be a high demand for them.

Edited by ewetwo

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Well. I've never done this before so it will be a challenge seeing I have Renaud's disease. I can't feel anything with my finger tips so I have a very difficult time with the tiny parts like mirrors, door handles, lenses and such. And tweezers don't help because I can't tell how much pressure I'm squeezing so most time they pop out of the tweezers and I end up spending a hour looking for what ever it was that took flight. :) I'll keep looking for them online. I wish someone could make resin copies as there seems to be a high demand for them.

I dont know if it will help you, but when using tweezers try wrapping the end with double sided tape. My granny did this when she was sewing and it may help you too

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...