Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

2 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

I can recall it in more colourful packaging, but I can't remember the manufacturer (Otaki, maybe?)

Probably. All the original Otaki airplane kits were eventually marketed under the ARII label. (Some of them would also appear in Airfix and AMT boxes.) 

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes, it can.

This is the same kit that I had as a kid.

I don't believe that I ever finished it but I was in the process of building it stock at the time.

Couldn't tell you whatever happened to it.

Steve

image.png.049620d4704fc516e363a673b45ee6e4.png

Darn, I'd love to find that one!

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Probably. All the original Otaki airplane kits were eventually marketed under the ARII label. (Some of them would also appear in Airfix and AMT boxes.) 

Those old Otaki wheel and tire sets later became Arii, too, as I recall. Those were pretty nice! Surprised someone hasn't picked them up,and re-marketed them.

That classic Abarth looks like a nice kit, 1/12 scale so lots of detailing will be required.  I have a Meng Cougar, tons of detail in those kits, really amazing.

I didn't get all these in one day, just this month.  I told myself that I don't need any more models (famous last words).  The modern Abarth with Ferrari name seems to be a rare kit, it came in a bag with damage to the box, I was pissed, so opened and found no damage, so now I'll have to build it.  Got the VW Beetle just for the hood script, which is only a decal, but I didn't wish to spend over a $100 for the high-tech kit.  A guy I've known before he joined the model club, asked if I wanted the Cobra kit, I said heck yes, since I was thinking about Gumball Rally.

IMG_9215_Fotor.jpg

After seeing Superbird McMonte's excellent video on making your own redlines/whitewalls, I went and ordered this and it came in the mail...............

P1016592.thumb.JPG.5dbfa6623a681825f93e595b6268c608.JPG

I have some projects pending where this will come in real handy. ;)

Last week I saw this on the 'Bay and decided to follow the auction......I decided to bid and won! I built one of these many years ago (mid '80's) and while it wasn't bad, there were some fit issues that I could fix today.

P1016593.thumb.JPG.6f20d3eeaf2ba47a4428b172d5d0328e.JPG
P1016594.thumb.jpg.dd3b947bc8cb0657c6cc97a4a90a1c07.jpg
P1016595.thumb.jpg.257e6c9be3c339e70853cd7850a8539e.jpg

I can already see some body changes I'll need to do to cure some of the fit issues and those door hinges are tricky at best, but I have a cure in mind for those also.

Anyone have an idea what year this is supposed to represent? I'm thinking a '63, but I don't remember what year IMC originally released this one.

1 minute ago, MrObsessive said:

After seeing Superbird McMonte's excellent video on making your own redlines/whitewalls, I went and ordered this and it came in the mail.............

I can already see some body changes I'll need to do to cure some of the fit issues and those door hinges are tricky at best, but I have a cure in mind for those also.

Anyone have an idea what year this is supposed to represent? I'm thinking a '63, but I don't remember what year IMC originally released this one.

I have to think 63 to 65 as most of those IMC kits came out around 1965.

13 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

After seeing Superbird McMonte's excellent video on making your own redlines/whitewalls, I went and ordered this and it came in the mail...............

P1016592.thumb.JPG.5dbfa6623a681825f93e595b6268c608.JPG

I have some projects pending where this will come in real handy. ;)

Last week I saw this on the 'Bay and decided to follow the auction......I decided to bid and won! I built one of these many years ago (mid '80's) and while it wasn't bad, there were some fit issues that I could fix today.

P1016594.thumb.jpg.dd3b947bc8cb0657c6cc97a4a90a1c07.jpg
P1016595.thumb.jpg.257e6c9be3c339e70853cd7850a8539e.jpg

You're a man after my own heart, I ordered a compass too after the recent post

28 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I always thought it was somewhere in the '64-'66 area. 

Late last year I finally finished up one of these (an original IMC) that I started in the late '60s. Every time I got it out, I got reminded of why I'd never finished it. I have no desire to build another one. If I ever want to do another Beetle in 1/25, I'll track down a Revell kit--it couldn't be much worse. (I have a Revell in the stash but it's a '70s issue with flared fenders, which is cool too. That one might rise to the top of my To-Do list this year.)

45 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Haven't seen that one before. Is that a new boxing, or old? Haven't seen those wheels in the coupe kit, just the purple roadster. Is it molded in orange? 

For any one who builds that version of the coupe be aware the grilles in the hood are very shallow so mask them before you paint and paint them after the body color.  I learned this the hard way.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:54 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Just ordered this goodie from eBay:

5c4015f1d58d9_eiscovacuumpump.jpg.e9157b2e54a8e071d6cdc6dee6f00582.jpg

Eisco hand operated vacuum pump; works with a bell jar and got it for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I'm going to experiment with it to see if it will pull bubbles out of my resin castings. Wish me luck...

You guys should have wished me more luck! :rolleyes: It arrived yesterday and I set it up to find the threads on the round table were stripped out where it screws onto the valve, so while it pulled some vacuum, it wasn't enough to pop bubbles. "Tested" my azz... So, lacking a Helicoil, I covered the threads and base with silicone, stuck the table on, and we'll see what happens tonight when it's fully cured. Fingers crossed again...

40 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

For any one who builds that version of the coupe be aware the grilles in the hood are very shallow so mask them before you paint and paint them after the body color.  I learned this the hard way.

I've never painted one, just done four in polished plastic. I foiled them with kitchen foil, no problem. For painting, I guess I'd foil them, then just mask off the foil. B)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...