Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 12/25/2018 at 11:24 AM, Casey said:

?? These arrived yesterday. ?

IMG_20181225_081949.thumb.jpg.02b42ab147da8938b2cc96a100eef257.jpg

Got my Green Camaro today. Can hardly wait to start polishing up that lovely green plastic! I might use the decals too--they look pretty sharp and would set it apart from my polished silver and red ones. B)

The rear greenhouse is not shaped correctly. The lower window bottom to top line is more parallel as is the upper window. Looks like most of the issue is in the rear roofline shape, seems to rise at the rear. Hard to tell from the photo but the bodyline over the rear wheel looks wonky too. Appears to extend into the rear door too far. The door handles also appear to be almost level on the real car while there's a distinct difference on the resin kit.

Who's the caster?

EthIOYu.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter

1 hour ago, 64Comet404 said:

The wagon may be a touch too short (IIRC, the Vista wheelbase was 6 inches longer than the regular wagons), but it's still a nice looking piece. Much easier than scratch building your own version, too.

Five, I think? 116 for sedans, wagons, and Elkys vs 121 for the Vista Snoozer and Buick Sportwagon I think. 

8 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

If you got it at Walmart, it's probably Purple Power, in which case, it will not work as well as we say. ;)

Believe me, you would be much happier with Super Clean.

Steve

Well it says Super Clean right on the label. :wacko:

29 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

How long does "a soak in the pond" take? I'm used to Easy Off working its nasty magic in about 20 minutes, though repeated scrubs and re-applications are often (usually) necessary. 

Depends a lot on what type of paint you're removing.

Enamel is pretty quick.

I will usually just drop in my parts and let them soak overnight if I'm removing enamel.

No re-applications or scrubbing should be necessary.

The next day, you will most likely be able to remove the parts, give them a rinse and light scrub, and they should be clean as new.

Remember to give the parts a good cleaning with dish detergent and warm water before repainting.

Mind you, there are some paints that are resistant to a lot of these degreasers.

Lacquer can take a while.

A good rule of thumb is to put some scratches into the paint down to the primer in a few spots to help the solution to get under the paint.

Super Clean will not dissolve the lacquer itself.

It works by getting under the paint and dissolving the primer, loosening the paint.

The paint will then peel off in sheets.

I've had entire sections of paint, like a roof, fender or door lift off in one piece.

Most times, I will drop in a body painted with multiple coats of lacquer and just forget about it for a week.

That period of time is probably not necessary in most cases, but the longer you let it work, the easier it will be to remove the paint, so I figure, let the Super Clean do the work for me and leave it alone.

Chrome will usually dissolve in a matter of 10 or 20 minutes, but the base coat could take a bit longer.

Some flat paints and primers can be mostly unaffected by Super Clean.

If I have stubborn primer left after the paint is gone, I usually remove it with alcohol.

Sometimes a once over with an alcohol wipe is all that's needed.

You have probably seen these photos before, but this is what an overnight soak in Super Clean will generally net you with enamel paint.

Steve

2v2JKyCPCxwUbWP.jpg

2v2JKyCkixwUbWP.jpg

2v2uKSZzFxwUbWP.jpg

2v2JGujf5xwUbWP.jpg

2v2ueBLWVxwUbWP.jpg

2v2ueBLdWxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Lacquer can take a while.

A good rule of thumb is to put some scratches into the paint down to the primer in a few spots to help the solution to get under the paint.

Super Clean will not dissolve the lacquer itself.

I second that. All it’ll do is get sticky if the paint isn’t scuffed.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...