Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I went to Hobby Lobby for the Chevy pickup with the Go cart. Not this weekend. Walked out with another Foose pickup.  Not a wasted trip.  I did see a couple of guys in their 60's looking at kits and one of them was straightening out some the Military kits. It drives me crazy when they are messed up also.  

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Another grail that I'd kinda forgotten about until one came up on the auction place everybody hates but uses addictively anyway.

Almost virgin. No glue, no parts bodged from being twisted off trees, everything present and correct, and a very good box. I scored a red promo a few years back, but I wanted the original-style kit with the stock guts (not the racecar version). Really impressed with the quality of the engine in this too (as I was with the engine in the "70 Eldo). Lots nicer than the blobular engines in earlier Johan offerings (well, except for the hole through the block for the wire axle).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The engine is very well done, however it is a '56-'66 engine (tooled for the Marlin kit).  AMC introduced a new engine series during '66 in the compacts, and put it in the bigger cars in '67.  The old engines have the distributor at the back, the newer ones in front.  The SC/Rambler kit has the newer style cylinder heads, valve covers, oil pan, front cover, water pump, and intake.  The coke-bottle Javelin/AMX kits have some of those parts too, but still have the old style cylinder heads.  Jo-Han never did a later block or exhaust manifolds.  The AMT Gremlin and Matador kits have some good newer V8 parts, and they interchange fairly well with the Jo-Han stuff even though Jo-Han's post-1960 AMC kits are 1/24 scale and AMT's are 1/25.  I'm working on building a composite of the best engine parts to cast, if only I wouldn't set it aside every time I see something shiny.

Some of the annual kits (Marlin, Ambassadors) have a Man-A-Fre type four-carb intake as an option, as well as chrome valve covers and oil pan (still for the '56-'66 engine).  It would make a neat rod engine, in something with an open engine compartment.

The reissue AMX kits have a 1970 interior bucket with the high-back seats, also the shifter is from a later kit.  But the instrument panel is the right one.  Yes, those Oldies series kits are cobbed together from various years' parts...but I'd still grab more of them if they ever came back, and still pick them up from time to time when the price is right...

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The engine is very well done, however it is a '56-'66 engine...those Oldies series kits are cobbed together from various years' parts...

Thanks, Mark. I'm quite ignorant when it comes to most Johan kits, so your info is much appreciated. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 27/01/2019 at 4:39 PM, MrObsessive said:

After seeing Superbird McMonte's excellent video on making your own redlines/whitewalls, I went and ordered this and it came in the mail...............

P1016592.thumb.JPG.5dbfa6623a681825f93e595b6268c608.JPG

I have some projects pending where this will come in real handy. ;)

Last week I saw this on the 'Bay and decided to follow the auction......I decided to bid and won! I built one of these many years ago (mid '80's) and while it wasn't bad, there were some fit issues that I could fix today.

P1016593.thumb.JPG.6f20d3eeaf2ba47a4428b172d5d0328e.JPG
P1016594.thumb.jpg.dd3b947bc8cb0657c6cc97a4a90a1c07.jpg
P1016595.thumb.jpg.257e6c9be3c339e70853cd7850a8539e.jpg

I can already see some body changes I'll need to do to cure some of the fit issues and those door hinges are tricky at best, but I have a cure in mind for those also.

Anyone have an idea what year this is supposed to represent? I'm thinking a '63, but I don't remember what year IMC originally released this one.

Yes I bought one of these kits about 20 years ago. As it has a small rear window we're talking the early 60's, my road going 1965 had the larger rear window.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:39 AM, MrObsessive said:

[...]   Last week I saw this on the 'Bay and decided to follow the auction......I decided to bid and won! I built one of these many years ago (mid '80's) and while it wasn't bad, there were some fit issues that I could fix today.

P1016593.thumb.JPG.6f20d3eeaf2ba47a4428b172d5d0328e.JPG
P1016594.thumb.jpg.dd3b947bc8cb0657c6cc97a4a90a1c07.jpg
P1016595.thumb.jpg.257e6c9be3c339e70853cd7850a8539e.jpg

I can already see some body changes I'll need to do to cure some of the fit issues and those door hinges are tricky at best, but I have a cure in mind for those also.

Anyone have an idea what year this is supposed to represent? I'm thinking a '63, but I don't remember what year IMC originally released this one.

That's funny, now that I'm working on backdating the Tamiya '66 to my parents '60.  I would say 1960, it has the smaller windows all around.  But the quality, yikes!

1 hour ago, disabled modeler said:

Nice haul there Tommy...!  I have been after that Johan Grand Torino for years.

Thanks Mark. Although I have had much too many kits already, I wouldn't want to miss any of these 13, all of which were on my wishlist. The Gran Torino certainly is the "rare gem" of the lot, but all the others are quite hard to find over here either. Will try to deliver myself now, if you know what I mean... :rolleyes:

I've had a mini buying binge lately. Over the last week I bought an AMT  '50 Ford, '65 Grand Prix, and '40 Ford sedan. Then I bought the Tamiya Ford GT, a Hasegawa Zakspeed( "lacks speed) 891,and a Hasegawa Mazda 767B. I'm done for a while ( maybe).

Tony( member of Styrene Junkies Anonymous)

22 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Thanks Mark. Although I have had much too many kits already, I wouldn't want to miss any of these 13, all of which were on my wishlist. The Gran Torino certainly is the "rare gem" of the lot, but all the others are quite hard to find over here either. Will try to deliver myself now, if you know what I mean... :rolleyes:

Yep...I have many on my wish/bucket list too...maybe someday..huh..???

Today I collected my ‘used’ revell Cobra 427 s/c, with its ‘slightly tired box. 

Inside I  found all the parts still in their trees, some painted by hand. Thankfully the body was only roughly painted silver on the inside.

I took a little time to tweak all of the openings at the front end, and modify the front lower corners, as it was looking a bit too chubby. 

Another one to distract me from my 3 or 4 other models on the bench.

no harm done:

9EB5F3A9-4FC7-4148-BEAC-D9DF16E661AE.jpeg.3e5f0d97c0dfdc1566677c963eb3d71a.jpeg

stock on the left, trimmed on the right:

A5C003B7-386B-48F6-8D9B-51AD2A1793E6.jpeg.6f837d66522101cf8b659a6a218f9c83.jpeg

Better now:

A511FCC1-4847-46F8-96D4-098A73DC94FD.jpeg.e5ab3d1cb376146de64a24b69340419d.jpeg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...