Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Was not today but last week at the NNL West. Art Laski has great products at his booth. Bought a bunch of items that I needed and didn’t need. Oh it was funny as I’m not a good airplane builder but bought a 1/24 trumpeter me109 at the NNL West. 

On 2/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

I got me a Chrysler, it looks a bit crummy

But, at least, it didn't cost too much money!

On 2/1/2019 at 6:03 PM, ewetwo said:

I saw this and look forward to what you do with it.

David, it turns out I may do nothing with it - PM me.

Thanks to Bob Deneen of the LMMCC, today I got a set of Olds Fiestas (probably the custom ones from the '58 T-bird), a couple custom parts trees from the Revell '62 Valiant (nice tri-bar knockoffs, lots of chrome bullets and some SoCal-area car club plaques) ...AND a set of stock 1/32 '56 Chrysler wheelcovers and grille, just in case the eBay one doesn't pan out. Will be casting soon...

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:38 PM, NOBLNG said:

Picked these all up at the flea markets today. 

IMG_5995.JPG

The Aurora Jaguar hasn't been reissued as the convertible.  Since Monogram got the Aurora tools in the mid-Seventies, they have only reissued the coupe.  Since the merger with Revell, this has continued because Revell has its own XK-E convertible kit, leaving no need to issue the ex-Aurora kit as a convertible.

42 minutes ago, Mark said:

The Aurora Jaguar hasn't been reissued as the convertible.  Since Monogram got the Aurora tools in the mid-Seventies, they have only reissued the coupe.  Since the merger with Revell, this has continued because Revell has its own XK-E convertible kit, leaving no need to issue the ex-Aurora kit as a convertible.

These kits are not valuable to collectors though, correct?  I want to build these even if they aren't the best quality.

I'd go ahead and build them if you want to.  The AMT and Revell kits aren't valuable.  Same for the Monogram Cord even if it's an original issue; if it is, you might even consider polishing the body pieces and not painting them.  The XK-E might be the "most valuable" of the group, but there are other kits of it out there.

While we're talking about Aurora, this past weekend I bought a couple of boxes of built kits and parts at an automotive swap meet.  In there was an Aurora stock version '34 Ford coupe, looks like it is missing the front bumper and one headlight.  The rod version wasn't there, but parts of it were: a few engine and suspension bits, and one of the chrome fenders.  There was only one fender, but it turned out to be the right rear which was the only one I needed for the growing pile of parts for that particular car.  I'm pretty certain that the fender itself is symmetrical and could be made to fit the opposite side by cutting off the mounting pins and switching them...but it happened to be the one I needed.

I also found one of those early AMT '36 Ford stock wheels with the slots around the perimeter...it's unused, and looks like it has all of the detail intact. 

I got these today. The garage diorama tool kits were purchased at a local hobby store. The last ones and he didn’t know if he could order more. The 1955 Ford F100 was purchased at Micheal’s using an AC Moore 60% off 1 item coupon. That was $9.00 and change. And a jar of flat black paint.

1AD9EEBA-772E-44CF-B9C8-BA6586272059.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo
Spelling

Haunting Hobby Lobby, impatiently waiting for the '60 Chevy pickup (like everybody else).  No luck again today. But I noticed the Round 2 '69 Olds 4-4-2 was priced at $26.99, instead of $29.99 like almost every other HL kit.  With the 40% off coupon, $16.19.  So I picked up one of those. I have a much older release of it, but I know that chassis is great to update some older AMT kits.

This HL did have several Revell "Greased Lightning" '48 Fords.  So if there's a shortage of that kit, it must be local in certain areas.  FWIW, my closest HL is in a small town of about 8,000 people.

I just ordered this. It should be on a slow boat from China, at some point. I like the idea of having a seam scraper for round objects. It also has hex shaped openings in the middle area that they are call a "nut maker". I am guessing that they are to be used as a draw plate, to shape round stock. Has anybody tried one of these? It looks like it can be useful (the seam scraper has positive reviews).

scraper.jpg

12 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Also bought a builtup Johan 1969 AMX , wanted it strictly for the body glass and chrome

s-l1600.jpg

How did a purple glue bomb NOT follow me home? I thought ALL the purple glue bombs found their way to me sooner or later! :lol:

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...