Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Add another great deal to the list. It'll bookend the Maserati 3500 GT I picked up a while ago. Not bad for 25 bucks:

image.jpeg.9b4ccc5c9ece417ea7196146868b475b.jpeg

image.jpeg.3e61c9cdd07f80a569c18bac338e553a.jpeg

image.jpeg.5917463db3c9e0e5e2ccb117cdbfaf6c.jpeg

Should be right hand drive though! No whatever you want. Brilliant to see a good old British sports car, well done, and look forward to the build.

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Add another great deal to the list. It'll bookend the Maserati 3500 GT I picked up a while ago. Not bad for 25 bucks:

image.jpeg.5917463db3c9e0e5e2ccb117cdbfaf6c.jpeg

Cool! I did a cleanup and light restoration on  a survivor of one of those a couple years ago. I'm sure yours will look better. B) Have a survivor Ferrari GTO rising to the top of the To-Do List. 

AstonMartin09.jpg.3a07f75edd0d911760210e610df75061.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:38 AM, Ron Hamilton said:

I got this in trade with Scott8950.

0217191539_Film3_zpsrj3pe6cf.jpg

0217191538c_Film3_zpsn2mzdlqg.jpg

This is an AMT annual 1965 Corvette Coupe. It's missing a few parts, but I have a deep parts box, and I have what I need to build it the way I want to. The body is pretty  clean, having never been sanded, nor cut. I'm going to leave it as a wire axle car. I gave it a little bath, and installed a set of good tires. I have to go to the parts department for the rest of the car. The paint on the interior is pretty good. originally I was going to go with a different interior color, but I like the red, so I am just going to detail it out. The body will painted a coordinating color to the interior, It will be a while before it is built, but I am happy with the transaction.

Last night' I was rooting through my Corvette Parts Boxes. While there is some junk in there, I was able to find 98% of what I need for this one. I found the hood, wheel covers and backs, an engine, radiator and core support, firewall, front bumper and grille, rear bumperettes, tail lamps and bezels with exhaust tips. I plan to do this one as a nice 60's car, using mostly kit parts.

While I was in the box, I found several still born, yet viable future Corvette projects, most notably:

An original annual AMT 1963 Corvette Convertible with the rotating headlamps. When I got it, it was a total gluebomb with all kinds of custom accessories glued to it. It was unpainted, and I was able to repair most of the failed customization and glue residue. The windshield header is busted, and the rocker panels are not salvageable due to glue burn. I am going to salvage those parts from one of the several 1963 kits I bought for this purpose. This one is going to be a 1964 roadster, with a matching hardtop. I have a 1964 hood and wheelcovers for the project.

An original AMT 64 Coupe. It was originally built as a custom. I am having a tough time removing the paint from it, as I believe it is lacquer, as my normal stripper barely budged it. I have most of that I need to bring it back from the dead zone. I'm tempted to do it as a period custom, as I have a lot of unused custom parts.

An original AMT 1966 Roadster. I stripped the hideous paint from the body and got the glued on hardtop and luggage rack off of it. The windshield frame is busted, and there is some nasty glue burn on the tonneau cover and deck lid. I can repair those problems, and I have an appropriate engine I can install in it. The interior and chassis need to be stripped of the hideous red and black paint the previous builder used. I have the rest of the parts including the hardtop and the unique wheelcovers to do the car.

An original AMT 1967 Coupe. This one may be built as a race car, as I do not have the original interior tub, hood or wheels. The body is clean, and I have several ideas for this one.

In my collection, I have an original unbuilt AMT 63 Convertible with the rotating headlamps, a 65 Convertible, and a 67 Coupe. Also I have an MPC '67 "Streaker Vette" Kit, which is one of my all time favorites, and A Monogram 65, and Revell 67 Coupes and Roadsters, if I wanted to do something a little more detailed.

Somewhere in the basement, there is an original 1963 Coupe Rebuilder with the rear wheelwells hogged out for gasser duty by the previous owner, and a 1966 Coupe, where I spliced in body parts to repair the rear wheelwells back to stock.

Yes, I admit to going a little overboard with these kits from my past, and yes, I am a fool for Corvettes for most years.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

1 hour ago, Ron Hamilton said:

An original annual AMT 1963 Corvette Convertible with the rotating headlamps. When I got it, it was a total gluebomb with all kinds of custom accessories glued to it. It was unpainted, and I was able to repair most of the failed customization and glue residue. The windshield header is busted, and the rocker panels are not salvageable due to glue burn. I am going to salvage those parts from one of the several 1963 kits I bought for this purpose. This one is going to be a 1964 roadster, with a matching hardtop. I have a 1964 hood and wheelcovers for the project.

An original AMT 64 Coupe. It was originally built as a custom. I am having a tough time removing the paint from it, as I believe it is lacquer, as my normal stripper barely budged it. I have most of that I need to bring it back from the dead zone. I'm tempted to do it as a period custom, as I have a lot of unused custom parts.

'63 and '64 rocker panels are different. (They are different for all five years of Sting Rays.) The gas cap is different, too, which might not bother you. Also, the interior upholstery pattern will be different. Again, this might not bother you, and it might be possible to rework the '63 rocker panels to resemble '64s. All in all, though, it would be easier to leave it a '63. 

If your body is resisting your normal stripper and you think it's lacquer, drop it in 92% isopropyl alcohol for 24 hours. It should come right off. If it resists that, you'll have to move up to brake fluid. I'd leave that one as a '64 and use the custom parts on a common reissue '63. 

I have spare '65 and '66 roadster bodies with broken windshield headers. I'm doing one as a road racer, and the other as a custom with chopped, frameless windshield--both using nothing but authentic, vintage parts from a '66 roadster kit. B)

It sounds like you've got almost as many vintage Corvette parts and projects as I do. If there's anything you need, let me know--we might be able to do some swapping. 

Edited by Snake45

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

'63 and '64 rocker panels are different. (They are different for all five years of Sting Rays.) The gas cap is different, too, which might not bother you. Also, the interior upholstery pattern will be different. Again, this might not bother you, and it might be possible to rework the '63 rocker panels to resemble '64s. All in all, though, it would be easier to leave it a '63. 

I compared the 63 and 64 rocker panels, and they are very similar. The 63 annual does not have the gas cap detail at all, so I will use my 65 or 66 as a guide, and use the appropriate MCG photo etch fuel cap. I may do the car with the luggage rack, as I may do the car up as the last "Route 66" TV show car, or at least something similar. I also can do it with side exhausts.  The interior is not going to make much of a difference to me, as the AMT interior is so devoid of detail anyway.

If your body is resisting your normal stripper and you think it's lacquer, drop it in 92% isopropyl alcohol for 24 hours. It should come right off. If it resists that, you'll have to move up to brake fluid. I'd leave that one as a '64 and use the custom parts on a common reissue '63. 

I haven't tried 91% alcohol yet, as the body developed a crack in the roof, where the plastic was injected, along with being weakened by the use of paint stripper and  plastic cement used in installing the glass by the previous owner. I do not like to use brake fluid. I'll get the paint off by hook or crook.

I have spare '65 and '66 roadster bodies with broken windshield headers. I'm doing one as a road racer, and the other as a custom with chopped, frameless windshield--both using nothing but authentic, vintage parts from a '66 roadster kit. B)

You know I like replica stock, or at best, a mild street machine.

It sounds like you've got almost as many vintage Corvette parts and projects as I do. If there's anything you need, let me know--we might be able to do some swapping. 

I have a 30 year old plus parts box, and I am not above buying a junker or scratch building a part I need. I want to build these models, using mostly the AMT kit parts. I don't build for contests or NNLs anymore. I need to only satisfy myself, and I am still very critical.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

18 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Snagged this minty Johan Caddy Fire Rescue Ambulance Gold Cup kit last night for literally almost nothing. If I mentioned how much I paid, you'd think I was making it up. :D

image.thumb.jpeg.b64efcc219b0a126a26366e1ed82e3ed.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b44aa0c9bf637a55453253d95b624bd0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.84d05faf7a69ce4326cbe20919dd7b26.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0ab901433f7556289a3e1d223762eacb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.57c946008944807c9c99781e7e6b8049.jpeg

Very nice...!!!    I use to have that one its a good kit like most Johans were.   I have a few Johans on my grail list myself.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...