Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

14 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Went to the DuPage show and got a piece of my childhood back - picked up a green '67 Chrysler 300 convertible promo for only $30, just like the one I had over 50 years ago. Top of the windshield frame is broken off but the pieces are there and the glass is OK.

"Well, the least you could do is post a picture!" :wacko:

5c744ac67f61c_67chrysler.thumb.JPG.eb0d299d97abb5f129c657a6add674d3.JPG

Edited by ChrisBcritter

16 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I got a bottle of Future to try out as a clear.

If you're building a kit and have a spare piece that you can paint. Use the Pledge on that first and let it sit a few weeks. I've had painted cars that were fine. And other that the polish crazed. Not the paint. But it has to be a reaction to the paint. Maybe I didn't wait long enough to let the paint air out? I haven't tried washing it off yet but I know your builds are better than mine and thought I'd give you a warning. I should wash mine just to see if it comes off as easy as I was told it would. It does make the color molded kits bodies pop. I've had some people say nice paint job and all it did was Pledge it. :-)

Oh. And it's now Pledge "Revive It" floor gloss. At least where I'm located.

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Can't believe it but this just arrived. I saw an email saying it was just delivered. Can't believe the mailman got out of his truck to put it between the doors in this storm. He should have waited until tomorrow. In fact. I can't believe he's delivering mail today. 

I bit the bullet and bought it online. I've been calling the local hobby shops and they keep saying they can't order it. Takes me back to when I built one as a kid.

59chrysler.jpeg

Glad to see this one back. Bought a Model King release several years ago, and built a convertible. This time I want to build a hardtop. 

17 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Glad to see this one back. Bought a Model King release several years ago, and built a convertible. This time I want to build a hardtop. 

If I see this at the local shops in the future. I’ll buy another but didn’t want to miss out just in case.  

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Isn't that a '67 Chrysler 300? 

Oops - yeah. Typo fixed. I did get a tan '68 hardtop the next year; Mom said I could have a new Chrysler 300 promo every year to make a nice collection. She must have known what was coming... (Hey Mom! You owe me a resin '69 300! :P)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I actually got these a couple of months back, but I finally got around to taking some pictures.

This, I picked up at my LHS.  It was cheaper than most of the Round 2 reissues.

Hondabox.jpg.fcaaadb408af37692b0ce78ba00b3818.jpg

I went home for Christmas for the first time in ages, and found most of my old models were still there, though in various states of repair, so I took a few boxes back with me.  I'm thinking just repair and cleanup for some.

models.jpg.cefef4fd401821475928facbb95d4f35.jpg

I think I have most of the parts for this Jo-Han Marlin, but I should be able to hunt them down one way or another.

Marlin.jpg.5fd139efbf29261dcb69a7829c90a558.jpg

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I went home for Christmas for the first time in ages, and found most of my old models were still there, though in various states of repair, so I took a few boxes back with me.  I'm thinking just repair and cleanup for some.

models.jpg.cefef4fd401821475928facbb95d4f35.jpg

I think I have most of the parts for this Jo-Han Marlin, but I should be able to hunt them down one way or another.

Marlin.jpg.5fd139efbf29261dcb69a7829c90a558.jpg

Clean 'em up, repair and touch up as necessary, and display 'em as proud survivors. B)

I've got a couple Marlins--one I started (it's completely painted) about 1969 that I can't figure out how I want to finish. The colors are nowhere near factory so stock is out. Could go mid-'70s street cruiser, or a modern sort of restomod look. Or maybe even drop in on a Pro Street chassis. The other one is a fairly clean glue bomb survivor from an estate sale in the early '90s. It might be molded in turquoise (I haven't seen it in a while)--if so, I might just polish out the plastic and two-tone it with white trim. 

Back in the day, I thought Marlins were almost as cool as Chargers and fastback Mustangs, but now, they just look kind of old and dated and dippy. Not that there's anything wrong with that! B)

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's times like this when I wish that I hadn't traded mine away! -_-

Steve

I don't want to think about what some of the ones I don't have are going for now.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Clean 'em up, repair and touch up as necessary, and display 'em as proud survivors. B)

I've got a couple Marlins--one I started (it's completely painted) about 1969 that I can't figure out how I want to finish. The colors are nowhere near factory so stock is out. Could go mid-'70s street cruiser, or a modern sort of restomod look. Or maybe even drop in on a Pro Street chassis. The other one is a fairly clean glue bomb survivor from an estate sale in the early '90s. It might be molded in turquoise (I haven't seen it in a while)--if so, I might just polish out the plastic and two-tone it with white trim. 

Back in the day, I thought Marlins were almost as cool as Chargers and fastback Mustangs, but now, they just look kind of old and dated and dippy. Not that there's anything wrong with that! B)

The paint and chrome are still good, and I did a decent job on them the first time, so that's the plan.  I also like building stock, so they're staying that way.  I think I might foil the trim on the T-Bird that I originally painted silver.

My absolute favourite American car designs from the '60s are the first gen Toronado and the second gen Riviera, but there's lots of good stuff in that decade.  I still like the Marlin, though I still think it would have looked better if they had based it on the Rambler American as originally intended.

11 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I don't want to think about what some of the ones I don't have are going for now.

The paint and chrome are still good, and I did a decent job on them the first time, so that's the plan.  I also like building stock, so they're staying that way.  I think I might foil the trim on the T-Bird that I originally painted silver.

My absolute favourite American car designs from the '60s are the first gen Toronado and the second gen Riviera, but there's lots of good stuff in that decade.  I still like the Marlin, though I still think it would have looked better if they had based it on the Rambler American as originally intended.

The 50’s and 60’s turned out a lot of wonderful looking cars. They all had their own distinct look. Now days a Hyundai looks like a Mercedes SUV or visa versa. 

4 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

The 50’s and 60’s turned out a lot of wonderful looking cars. They all had their own distinct look. Now days a Hyundai looks like a Mercedes SUV or visa versa. 

Oh, they followed tends back then, and there's no shortage of distinctive designs today that show distinctiveness is highly overrated.  I will say that while '50s designs weren't always pretty, you could never accuse them of being boring.

22 hours ago, martin9428 said:

That's awesome Chris. I just picked up a 64 1/2 Mustang that I started building 25 years ago and lost in a move. I wish I could find the Mako Trike from when I was a kid.

That is cool Scott.... I lost many from my childhood and some of my dads in the 2011 tornado here sadly...some had a huge sentimental value to me sadly.  Memories of building with my dad feel gone since they were lost.   been on a quest ever since to see if I can replace any of them.

Over the weekend I went to The Big Sit at Mainline Hobbies, as sponsored by the Philly Guys.

The owner of Mainline gives everyone a 25% discount on anything on this day. So each year I bulk up on supplies.  I bought:

2 cans Tamiya clear

1 can Tamiya white

Tamiya tape refills in 2 widths

Flexi File starter set - frame and one of each tape... to get an extra frame

Flexi File tapes - 1 pack each, 4 different grits

Flexi File sanding sticks - 1 each, 4 different grits

New set of paint brushes

New set of drill bits

Bare Metal Foil 

1 3 pack of Decal sheet for inkjet

After tax that was $86, but my annual supply order.  I do it for the discount and to say "Thank You" to Mainline Hobbies for allowing the event.

2 hours ago, HomerS said:

Picked up at a local auction....open and complete.  Likely to be traded off but may keep as I don't see this one being reissued anytime soon

IMG_2609.JPG

Somebody had a question about the blower drive setup on that kit up in the Questions section. Maybe you can help him. 

Scored a few more goodies. NOS original issue '62 Plymouth interior:

5c75fe792384f_62Plymouthcorrectinterior.jpg.aa58f44e014b3e92a71a9c5cc9b870d3.jpg

5c75fea9d9514_62Plymouthcorrectdashsteeringwheel.jpg.535ad218a6a479f38cafc7f051acd116.jpg

I have one USA Oldies '62 Fury left in my stash from the late '70s; now it's a builder.

Also got this '63 Ford pickup Y-block engine:

5c75ffc43997d_63Fordpickupcustomengine.thumb.jpg.fc4bd19dc2c024d8bb6173ced3896bdd.jpg

Been wanting one of these for a while since I'm very intrigued by that blower setup. One possible problem - it may be missing the blower drive belt; it's this piece:

5c7600f94dcab_blowerparts.jpg.12beccc53f2e9bd89c2b69400f81aed2.jpg

Sent a question to the seller to see if it can be found. Once I receive it, I'll figure out which project will get it - '59 Ranchero? '53/'56 Ford F-100 conversion? '40 Mercury convertible drag racer? Stay tuned... :)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...