Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Toy show day! Some cool scores! 

*Lindberg D-Jag, opened but seems to be complete, or at least enough of it to build something: $10. (Don't see these much anymore.)

*Diecast ERTL '69 Mustang Boss 302, Grabber Orange, 1/25 scale, perfect condition: $10. (Front end looks WAY better than the original Revell '69 Mustang, and probably as good as the new one if not better.)

*Original AMT '27 T/XR-6 kit including box, instructions, decals, all tires. Definitely missing the chrome tree but I see the XR-6 main body, nosepiece, and glass are here, and the '27 tub. Many trees with the parts still on them, just not the chrome tree. Took a chance I can make SOMETHING out of the rare remains: $20.

*Revell '56 Delray, AMT '67 Comet Cyclone, MPC Beretta, Testor Boyd Alumicoupe (quickbuild), all opened, some started (primed) but very possibly complete and definitely enough to make SOMETHING out of: $15 for all four. 

And two or three Snake-Fu-worthy, "rescuable" glue bombs--don't even remember what, gotta get them out of my trunk. 

First order of bidness will be to inventory the XR-6 parts and see if I have enough to build something with. 

Happy Happy Joy Joy! 

Oh, BTW, one vendor had an opened, started, seemed complete full-detail Testor Boyd Chezzoom for just $10, if anyone is looking for one. Another vendor had two JoHann S&M Superbirds, two JoHan S&M '71 Cudas, and at least one JoHan Torino, all brand new and still sealed. He said he checked "the internet" and thought he could get over $100 for each one of those. If he still has them next month, I could probably get him to budge a little on the price--he'll deal and he likes me. If you're looking for one of those, let me know what you're willing to pay and I'll try next month. 

Edited by Snake45
  • Like 1

Strange that XR-6 kit still had the '27 touring in it.  I haven't seen one in the last few years, the last one I picked up must have had the touring built stock.  The XR-6 was intact, as were the leftover rod parts from the touring (only the Frontenac engine setup was carried into later issues).  Just grab a more recent issue of the tub, and I've got the stuff to build that first issue rod version.

I already had a complete double kit (got that one in the early Seventies) but the box lid was split at one corner.  The second one had a mint box, like someone built the tub and buried the rest of the kit in a closet or attic.  

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

*Lindberg D-Jag, opened but seems to be complete, or at least enough of it to build something: $10. (Don't see these much anymore.)

*Diecast ERTL '69 Mustang Boss 302, Grabber Orange, 1/25 scale, perfect condition: $10. (Front end looks WAY better than the original Revell '69 Mustang, and probably as good as the new one if not better.)

*Original AMT '27 T/XR-6 kit including box, instructions, decals, all tires. Definitely missing the chrome tree but I see the XR-6 main body, nosepiece, and glass are here, and the '27 tub. Many trees with the parts still on them, just not the chrome tree. Took a chance I can make SOMETHING out of the rare remains: $20.

*Revell '56 Delray, AMT '67 Comet Cyclone, MPC Beretta, Testor Boyd Alumicoupe (quickbuild), all opened, some started (primed) but very possibly complete and definitely enough to make SOMETHING out of: $15 for all four. 

And two or three Snake-Fu-worthy, "rescuable" glue bombs--don't even remember what, gotta get them out of my trunk. 

First order of bidness will be to inventory the XR-6 parts and see if I have enough to build something with. 

Happy Happy Joy Joy! 

Oh, BTW, one vendor had an opened, started, seemed complete full-detail Testor Boyd Chezzoom for just $10, if anyone is looking for one. Another vendor had two JoHann S&M Superbirds, two JoHan S&M '71 Cudas, and at least one JoHan Torino, all brand new and still sealed. He said he checked "the internet" and thought he could get over $100 for each one of those. If he still has them next month, I could probably get him to budge a little on the price--he'll deal and he likes me. If you're looking for one of those, let me know what you're willing to pay and I'll try next month. 

Snake,

If you want another  glue bomb of the Lindbergh D Type, drop me a PM.

steve

Edited by Earl Marischal

3 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Snake,

If you want another  glue bomb of the Lindbergh D Type, drop me a PM.

steve

What a kind offer! I'll try to do a detailed inventory tomorrow and if I seem to be missing anything vital, I might take you up on it. Thanks so much! 

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Strange that XR-6 kit still had the '27 touring in it.  I haven't seen one in the last few years, the last one I picked up must have had the touring built stock.  The XR-6 was intact, as were the leftover rod parts from the touring (only the Frontenac engine setup was carried into later issues).  Just grab a more recent issue of the tub, and I've got the stuff to build that first issue rod version.

I already had a complete double kit (got that one in the early Seventies) but the box lid was split at one corner.  The second one had a mint box, like someone built the tub and buried the rest of the kit in a closet or attic.  

Cool! I had the chance to do a quick inventory and it looks like I do have everything but the chrome (found out there should have been two trees), including all the unique XR6 body panels, and its frame, and interior tub, and engine (less the chrome), and the rear axle. Shouldn't be too much trouble to fabricate missing rear suspension parts. For the front end, I could either pirate the VW front end out of a Tiger Shark or Manx, or come up with something more modern--maybe the Phantom Vicky, or the Revell Buterra T coupe (I have a glue bomb), or even a C2 Corvette (I have several Revell '67 parts cars). For an engine I can steal one from the Deora, or maybe a Pontiac OHC 6 will fit, or I could just drop a common V8 in there. I have no particular interest in trying to piece together an "authentic" XR6, but it might be fun to do a slightly updated version incorporating some of my own ideas (such as just going fenderless with it). 

Might not be interested in working on some build's at the moment, but that wont stop me from buying 😆

Chevelle kit will be donating its engine to another build, Camaro will be donating its engine and driveline to another build. And I think the Marauder will be done as the custom, but for now they will all be added to the stash.

UCewGIi.jpg

More display cases.

0LDE1vZ.jpg

KtnWclZ.jpg

4 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Awesome score on that Cosma ray !

Thanks.  Had it on my radar off and on for several years.  Sort of an iconic and unusual custom with an interesting history.  Need to source correct wheels and figure out how it was originally painted.  It was a candy metallic apricot color but trying to determine if fading or fogging of white pearl was done.  Lighting of the photos (that are color) really matters

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Have now inventoried the box. Seems to be 100% complete including rub-on "decals." It's molded in a nice and opaque dark blue. I found pics of what looks like a dark blue one on the net. I did a quick polish test on the plastic and it looks like it'll polish up great, so I might just build it straight OOB in polished plastic. Kinda looking forward to getting around to it! 

15 hours ago, WizPorsche944 said:

Today’s September Showdown Boyertown PA haul. 

FEFE6892-D017-47EB-89CE-E07824E44B86.jpeg

Walter I remember seeing that $ 10 Mercedes!   I was at the show too.  

kits.thumb.jpg.32f57e8c672b7238f35d59895104663e.jpg

And here's the two pieces I bought.  Nothing I didn't have...

The 30 Ford Coupe is sealed, and I grabbed it for $20 because I'm hooked on that Monogram Model A series.  I do have a few of them already, including a $5 built up that is becoming a Race of Gentlemen car.

I do have a big tub of those '53 Ford pickups, but I didn't have that box, so for $15 I bought it.  I'm planning on using the '53 chassis under some 1958-60 Ford pickups, so I can use the part too.

I could've bought more but I spent too much time talking!  It was great to see everyone after nearly 2 years!  In fact one dealer had two 71 Duster kits at $15 each. I use those for updating old Valiant chassis.  It was someone I knew so he engaged me in conversation, I forgot about the kits and walked away!   When I remembered and went back, they were gone!  Story of my life!

3 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Need to source correct wheels and figure out how it was originally painted.  It was a candy metallic apricot color but trying to determine if fading or fogging of white pearl was done.  Lighting of the photos (that are color) really matters

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Cosma_Ray
Changes made by Barris after original build. Wheels, can’t see where fade was done. Black and white pics seem to show fade. Prob need a new thread for this. 
https://www.motortrend.com/features/1811-cosma-ray-1964-corvette-built-darryl-starbird-george-barris/amp/

http://www.barris.com/carsgallery/kustomshotrods/cosmaray.php

Edited by keyser

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...