Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Flea Market Day!  Slim pickings today. I did find a very cheap LINDBERG #72776 Crown Vic, Illinois State Patrol, still shrink-wrapped.  A good find because the kit body is pre-painted, but it's painted plain white.  No stripping/re-painting necessary. (Unless I decide to add a second color.)

One guy had a whole box of car kits. He was asking $10 each, or a package deal on the whole box.  I must be getting old, turned them down.  The more I looked at the kits, the more I realized they were all from the big Ollie's blowout a few months ago - 1 REVELL 37 Ford Sedan, 1 LINDBERG Crown Vic, 2 LINDBERG '64 Dodges, etc.  etc. Already have multiples on many of those, including some bought from the Ollie's sale.  It just wasn't worth the aggravation of finding room for them.  I need that shelf space for new releases! 

I know that a lot of you guys buy old built-ups and actively look for them. Have you ever had one of your own come back to you, sort of like a boomerang?

Referencing the attached pix, a nearly 40 year old built-up of mine has come back to me. I had a friend and mentor named Sam who was a big part of my life until he passed away a while back at age 86. He was a true car nut, and I believe he had 30HD in his veins instead of blood. He was an expert mechanic and body man, and had restored several classic 1:1 to concours standards.

The big thing for me, though, was when he helped me buy my first car and fix it up, a rusty and beat-up '62 Corvair Monza coupe. Sometime later, I built this AMT 1/16 '57 Chevy as a birthday present for him, which replicated one of his trophy-winning beauties. It definitely leaves a lot to be desired, both by my current build standards and by those of this Forum, but as the saying goes, "it's the thought that counts." What really got me was the fact that he had kept it all these years. His family found it in a glass enclosed bookcase in his den, along with the original note that had accompanied it in June 1979, as they were dealing with his estate. They contacted me and told me about it, and offered it to me as a memento. 

Ah, the memories. R.I.P., Sam. I remember a bit of a poem I read somewhere - "If there's a loose brick on the streets of gold, he can fix it. If the hinges on one of the Pearly Gates are loose, don't worry Saint Peter, he can fix those, too. And now he has wings...."

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by ToyLvr
Photos

I know that a lot of you guys buy old built-ups and actively look for them. Have you ever had one of your own come back to you, sort of like a boomerang?

Referencing the attached pix, a nearly 40 year old built-up of mine has come back to me. I had a friend and mentor named Sam who was a big part of my life until he passed away a while back at age 86. He was a true car nut, and I believe he had 30HD in his veins instead of blood. He was an expert mechanic and body man, and had restored several classic 1:1 to concours standards.

The big thing for me, though, was when he helped me buy my first car and fix it up, a rusty and beat-up '62 Corvair Monza coupe. Sometime later, I built this AMT 1/16 '57 Chevy as a birthday present for him, which replicated one of his trophy-winning beauties. It definitely leaves a lot to be desired, both by my current build standards and by those of this Forum, but as the saying goes, "it's the thought that counts." What really got me was the fact that he had kept it all these years. His family found it in a glass enclosed bookcase in his den, along with the original note that had accompanied it in June 1979, as they were dealing with his estate. They contacted me and told me about it, and offered it to me as a memento. 

Ah, the memories. R.I.P., Sam. I remember a bit of a poem I read somewhere - "If there's a loose brick on the streets of gold, he can fix it. If the hinges on one of the Pearly Gates are loose, don't worry Saint Peter, he can fix those, too. And now he has wings...."

image.jpeg

Amazing and a wonderful memory!

Another possible T-Bucket project. Partially built chassis, but otherwise unmolested.

image.jpeg

That's a pretty cool Fad T kit, once you relocate the front spring hanger to lower the front end a little (as nearly all the real Fad Ts had). I've been playing with one (the most recent reissue) for a while now.

This AMT 1963 Buick Electra hard top just showed up today.

Got a pretty good deal on this one.

A very nice, easily restored example for $35.00.

Steve

photo DSCN5392_zpsvutz7rhu.jpg photo DSCN5393_zpsk3lpluug.jpg

Not my thing at all but that's a hella price for a VERY complete and restorable rarity. I know you'll do it justice. Congratulations!

Not my thing at all but that's a hella price for a VERY complete and restorable rarity. I know you'll do it justice. Congratulations!

Not really my thing either, but it was needed to bolster the "rare old kit" collection.

My enthusiasm for full sized Buicks really peeters out after about 1961.

The word "behemoth" comes to mind!

But I have been surprised before on how interested I could become on a car I had little interest in at the on set. ^_^

Steve

Great story Mike. I'm glad the family remembered you. And I'm sure you will always cherish the memories!

I had a boomerang model once.  It was a 1978 Volare back when they were cheap. It was brush painted black, thick and awful. The builder put the glass in with too much glue and it had sink marks on the roof.  I gave it to a guy named Jim from NY who wanted one badly.  A few years later someone else from a different part of the country offered it to me in a trade. He had no idea it was once mine!

MVC-010S

Just remembered this story.  Many years ago before people had cameras handy, and way before the Opel GT got reissued,  a guy sends me an Opel GT in the mail.  I open it and my first thought was, "Hey that's mine. I didn't remember getting rid of it."  So I checked my stash and there was an almost twin! I still have both.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Not really my thing either, but it was needed to bolster the "rare old kit" collection.

My enthusiasm for full sized Buicks really peeters out after about 1961.

The word "behemoth" comes to mind!

But I have been surprised before on how interested I could become on a car I had little interest in at the on set. ^_^

Steve

Steve...LOL...that is when my love for the Buicks come into life...1961 to 1975 body styles...bigger the car the better.

This AMT 1963 Buick Electra hard top just showed up today.

Got a pretty good deal on this one.

A very nice, easily restored example for $35.00.

Steve

photo DSCN5393_zpsk3lpluug.jpg

Good deal there,one of my favorites,this and the 64 full size line up. The color there dont do it justice at all,but i`m sure you will. 

Spotted this and it does deserve another color,but still an lovely barge.

Got two more eBay Rescue AMT original annual C2 Vettes yesterday. The ’65 Roadster has a complete body with unbroken windshield frame (a relative rarity), and the box seems to have most if not all the original parts including the desirable hard top and the rare cut-down wraparound windshield.  Body and top are painted kind of a puky shade of lilac purple, but fairly cleanly, and all interior parts are still virgin white styrene, so I might just try polishing the purple and seeing what it looks like and setting the thing together as a “survivor resto,” at least until I get some other projects finished and/or the mood strikes me to strip it and paint it some factory color.

The other one is an original annual ’63 Coupe. This was a pleasant surprise. The black-painted body didn’t look like anything special in the eBay pic and I bought the kit mainly because it looked like most if not all of the original custom parts were included. The black paint on the body turns out to be AMAZING. It seems to be one coat of some kind of enamel (Testors, probably) but is smooth, shiny, and about as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen from a rattlecan. The builder even did a nice job with the chrome trim, as well. Hadn’t planned to paint this one black, but I’m so impressed with the way it is that I’m gonna leave it and restore this one as a survivor, too. The interior parts are painted some kind of green-gray metallic, but I can find something that works better with the black. (I’m tempted to just “borrow” the virginal white interior from a Prestige roadster reissue.) You might be seeing this one “Under Glass” here in the near future.

Both kits (from same seller) came with the boxes FILLED with hundreds—thousands?—of what looks like foam or Styrofoam disks about the size of a nickel. Will take me a while to laboriously pick all these out without accidentally tossing some rare tiny loose part, but that’s the ONLY (minor) glitch in this whole deal.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...