Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

3 hours ago, youpey said:

he said he never threatened the guy, just that he was holding the gun when the guy was there.

I'd say, and I think the average judge would say, that if you are holding a gun while making a demand from someone, that you are threatening said person.

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

I'd say, and I think the average judge would say, that if you are holding a gun while making a demand from someone, that you are threatening said person.

yeah, i agree with you. i also thought it was odd he thought he could sue when he pled guilty to the crime they accused him of

Metalhead (Ryan). at least you are working....

I had retina surgery in late March. I'm still at home, healing. I've been away from my new job, for 5 weeks. I have only been with them for 7 weeks. I'm not sure they'll even take me back. (Yeah, I know that it would be illegal for them to do that, but try to fight it)

Good Luck!

Had the day planned to do some model painting (supposed to be sunny, no rain until Thursday) and its RAINING!!   The reason its a problem is I have to pull my "garage queen" TransAm out  of the garage to paint.  Ya know, it just can't  get rained on.😅

11 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Had the day planned to do some model painting (supposed to be sunny, no rain until Thursday) and its RAINING!!   The reason its a problem is I have to pull my "garage queen" TransAm out  of the garage to paint.  Ya know, it just can't  get rained on.😅

I noticed this morning they change today to rain...

Insurance company, and the Ugly Teller (who remembers the ads for the first ATMs?).  My statement to the insurance company has K W Design, nowhere did it say "drafting service" to put on the check, so the ATM kicked out the check.  Good thing the bank was open, walked in without a mask, with an attitude, worked out but now I'm spoiled on the receipt having the check image on it, the human teller can't do that.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, peteski said:

I think MeTV broadcasts Matlock at 11am EDT.

Matlock is on at 10 AM here, on MeTV. But I don't pay anything for MeTV, as you said, it's broadcast. I just use old fashioned rabbit ears connected to my digital TV and the reception is perfect. 

I've been trying to talk myself into a new air rifle for basement and backyard shooting for several months now. Last week I decided to pull the trigger on the buy (no pun intended) but wanted a question answered based on some problems I'd read about in online reviews. Emailed the vendor's customer service the question. It took them a week to get back to me with the answer I wanted to hear. So I go on their site to order one and of course they're sold out. :angry: Oh of course they had the "deluxe" model available, which is $100 more, but I didn't want it $300 worth.  The one I want won't be available until September!  :blink:

Several other vendors didn't have it, either. Finally tonight I found it at a vendor I've never heard of but decided to take a chance. Price was right, too. Everything went smoothly until checkout, when it said it couldn't match my billing address to my credit card. Entered it several different ways, no joy. Finally I gave up and paid by PayPal (which is paid by the same credit card anyway) and it finally went through. Been trying to avoid using PayPal for various reasons.

I hope this thing turns out to be worth all the headaches and hassles. :unsure:

9 minutes ago, cobraman said:

There is a Ruger 10/22 style air rifle I have been thinking about buying. Good for plinking in the garage. I wish I had a basement.

I just read a writeup on that--hadn't heard of it before. It performed pretty well from what I recall of the review. 

The one I ordered is a replica of an M1 Carbine. I have one of the old Crosman M1 BB guns, which is cool and fun and nostalgic, but I'm expecting the new one to be way better. 

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

The M1 would be cool. I had a war surplus that the NRA was selling at 20 dollars ( this was years and years ago ). It was in perfect shape made by Rockola if I remember right. Sold it off years ago. How stupid was that ?

Very! :angry: Rock-Ola is one of the most sought-after M1 carbine manufacturers today (they made jukeboxes), along with Winchester (the only actual gunmaker who made carbines) and IBM (a name everyone knows and respects). I have two, an Inland (division of GM, the most prolific carbine manufacturer) and a Quality Hardware. Your $20 Rock-Ola in good condition would today likely bring on the high side of $1000. :blink:

About a month ago the turbocharger in my 6.5 suburban suddenly developed a horrible grinding noise when i was about 3 hours from home in the middle of the night.
I had 2 options, shutting it off at the side of the road on one of the major highways here (not a good idea) or keep driving it and hoping i would get home before something more catastrophic happend.
I.e. axle snapping and engine feeding itself with the engineoil and making it a runaway that will revv it self to death.
Since the damage already had already happend i choose to keep driving to get home and then park it untill i could fix it.

Yesterday i finally got the part i needed and started replacing it.
When looking at the old one the bearings in it must have had a serious failiure seeing the damage made to the impellers on the turbo.
Fortunatley the housings survived the damage and were okay to reuse.

The irk part of this is that the part i had to replace was only about 1500miles old...
I replaced it because the oem part had developed a odd sound at certain enginge revvs that i did not like so i wanted to replace it before something happend...
Found out later that the "new" part was made in china..
The new part i have now is made in USA and hopefully have better quality then the one i had to replace again..

The first pic is of the exhaust side where apparently most of the gringing came from.
Second is from the intakeside that also had some gringing going on.
The last 2 shows the play in the bearings + there is also some in and out play of the shaft.
(On a turbo in and out play is a big no no, upp and down play is okay but not severeal mm as this has)

IMG_20210501_184150.thumb.jpg.716e21cec78f8975ec08e1dc012a10b1.jpg
IMG_20210501_184226.thumb.jpg.55b448a2c931d0baa9ddf84b05468e05.jpg
IMG_20210501_184314.thumb.jpg.9e4e2ccddf8e78873c014c2e22a5b338.jpg
IMG_20210501_184328.thumb.jpg.82852228bf0f186c631518e0954db10e.jpg

A major irk today. The National weather service has us under a red flag warning from 11am today till 5pm tuesday. High winds, low humidity, and high temperatures. We got only 10 in of the normal 30 in we get in a normal rainy season. Too early for this. Its going to be a long summer.

On 5/1/2021 at 12:37 PM, PierreR89 said:

About a month ago the turbocharger in my 6.5 suburban suddenly developed a horrible grinding noise when i was about 3 hours from home in the middle of the night.
I had 2 options, shutting it off at the side of the road on one of the major highways here (not a good idea) or keep driving it and hoping i would get home before something more catastrophic happend.
I.e. axle snapping and engine feeding itself with the engineoil and making it a runaway that will revv it self to death.
Since the damage already had already happend i choose to keep driving to get home and then park it untill i could fix it.

Yesterday i finally got the part i needed and started replacing it.
When looking at the old one the bearings in it must have had a serious failiure seeing the damage made to the impellers on the turbo.
Fortunatley the housings survived the damage and were okay to reuse.

The irk part of this is that the part i had to replace was only about 1500miles old...
I replaced it because the oem part had developed a odd sound at certain enginge revvs that i did not like so i wanted to replace it before something happend...
Found out later that the "new" part was made in china..
The new part i have now is made in USA and hopefully have better quality then the one i had to replace again..

The first pic is of the exhaust side where apparently most of the gringing came from.
Second is from the intakeside that also had some gringing going on.
The last 2 shows the play in the bearings + there is also some in and out play of the shaft.
(On a turbo in and out play is a big no no, upp and down play is okay but not severeal mm as this has)

IMG_20210501_184150.thumb.jpg.716e21cec78f8975ec08e1dc012a10b1.jpg
IMG_20210501_184226.thumb.jpg.55b448a2c931d0baa9ddf84b05468e05.jpg
IMG_20210501_184314.thumb.jpg.9e4e2ccddf8e78873c014c2e22a5b338.jpg
IMG_20210501_184328.thumb.jpg.82852228bf0f186c631518e0954db10e.jpg

That looks "Toasted" as we say. 

17 hours ago, peteski said:

Didn't the metal shavings from the turbo's impeller get ingested into the cylinders?

Probably, but they were probably so small so they just flew out again with the exhaust.
The most damage was done on the exhaust side and any larger pieces from that are stuck somewhere in the exhaustsystem.

11 minutes ago, PierreR89 said:

Haha, yes it is toasted.
I think i am going to disassemble it to be able to see how the bearings looks like.

All of those bits and pieces going thru the engine can cause more damage than you can imagine. Think about a very small bit of the Turbo Blades as they pass thru the Intake manifold, passages in the heads to the intake valves to bouncing between the pistons and the heads in the combustion chamber and what ever is left or new bits it may pickup on it's way thru the exhaust valves. I would consider a good examination of the block for any unseen damage to the cylinder walls as well. This may cost you a lot of your lunch money for a while. 

On 4/29/2021 at 10:58 PM, Snake45 said:

I've been trying to talk myself into a new air rifle for basement and backyard shooting for several months now. Last week I decided to pull the trigger on the buy (no pun intended) but wanted a question answered based on some problems I'd read about in online reviews. Emailed the vendor's customer service the question. It took them a week to get back to me with the answer I wanted to hear. So I go on their site to order one and of course they're sold out. :angry: Oh of course they had the "deluxe" model available, which is $100 more, but I didn't want it $300 worth.  The one I want won't be available until September!  :blink:

Several other vendors didn't have it, either. Finally tonight I found it at a vendor I've never heard of but decided to take a chance. Price was right, too. Everything went smoothly until checkout, when it said it couldn't match my billing address to my credit card. Entered it several different ways, no joy. Finally I gave up and paid by PayPal (which is paid by the same credit card anyway) and it finally went through. Been trying to avoid using PayPal for various reasons.

I hope this thing turns out to be worth all the headaches and hassles. :unsure:

In the meantime, I talked myself into wanting and buying another air rifle from the original vendor I was trying to deal with. Ordered it Monday, it arrived today, YAY! Its a nice looking piece and very much what I expected, BUT it had a broken part right in the box, and the front sight was canted to one side to a noticeable and disturbing degree. :angry: Contacted their customer service immediately, haven't heard back yet. I plan to send it back for replacement unless they can tell me how to fix/adjust it to my satisfaction. Or unless they offer me at least a 25% discount as a "factory second" or damaged good. 

Still waiting for the first rifle I ordered, which is expected Monday. :unsure: