Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 5/10/2022 at 7:20 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Had a bad blow out on my Jeep.Shredded my tire and ripped off my fender flare.ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!

EFEE1D1F-F65B-45C4-95B1-FF64CA3654E0.jpeg

24A4703C-79B6-4462-86F8-A7766D965D2A.jpeg

That’s terrible,Ron! I’m sure it could have been worse.  Good looking Jeep friend…

On 5/10/2022 at 9:30 PM, jaymcminn said:

My buddy's dog used to love coming over to my house. If she was unsupervised for more than a minute she'd be in my cat's litter box "bobbing for apples". 

My neighbors dog 🐶 did that to their cats 🐱 litter box and tear thru the other garbage for dirty baby diapers.  

Came home early to get packages shown as "delivered" on the USPS tracking thingy, as the prevalence of porch pirates is on the rise as my neighborhood continues to ghetto-ize (local thieves took a big 'ol stainless propane-burning outdoor heater not long ago).

Packages not there. Nothing. Nada.

Hmmmmmmm....says I to myself.

Looked next door, all the packages hammered into their bigger mailbox....even though MY box has CLEAR BLACK NUMBERS on BOTH SIDES.

Most be the same moron back on the route who dropped one on the ground at the street BY my box and drove off as I watched...and about whom I complained in person.

Guess where I'll be going on the way to the shop tomorrow...though it looks like I'll need to have everything shipped directly to the shop in the future.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Got another red light ticket that cost me $85.Arrrrgggg.I was coming home from a funeral.

That stinks!  While the $85 hurts, what hurts even more is the higher car insurance rates for the next few years (unless you don't have mandatory insurance in your state and you drive without insurance).

But if you really ran a red light, you won't get sympathy from me. It seems that I see this happen almost daily.  What the heck is the *BIG* rush?!?!? Obey the damn traffic rules!  Same with stop signs. Nobody (but me) seems to actually come to complete stop anymore.

Actually today some yahoo who was behind me (in a huge hurry) saw me slow down for the yellow light and passed me on the right (using the bike lane), and blew through the clearly red (by then) light.  Of course the dweeb got stuck at the next lights (probably around 500 feet further).  When it turned green he did take off (turning right at that light). By the time I got to that light (also turning right) I lost sight of him. But guess what? Two streets later I saw him up ahead, pulling into a driveway.  As I passed by that driveway I stopped and shook my head.  All that crazy driving just to get to his driveway about 10 seconds sooner than if he stayed behind me in the first place.  Some people . . . :wacko:

2 hours ago, peteski said:

That stinks!  While the $85 hurts, what hurts even more is the higher car insurance rates for the next few years (unless you don't have mandatory insurance in your state and you drive without insurance).

But if you really ran a red light, you won't get sympathy from me. It seems that I see this happen almost daily.  What the heck is the *BIG* rush?!?!? Obey the damn traffic rules!  Same with stop signs. Nobody (but me) seems to actually come to complete stop anymore.

Actually today some yahoo who was behind me (in a huge hurry) saw me slow down for the yellow light and passed me on the right (using the bike lane), and blew through the clearly red (by then) light.  Of course the dweeb got stuck at the next lights (probably around 500 feet further).  When it turned green he did take off (turning right at that light). By the time I got to that light (also turning right) I lost sight of him. But guess what? Two streets later I saw him up ahead, pulling into a driveway.  As I passed by that driveway I stopped and shook my head.  All that crazy driving just to get to his driveway about 10 seconds sooner than if he stayed behind me in the first place.  Some people . . . :wacko:

No it was for not completely stopping to make a right turn,but i thought it was green and there was not any “No Turn on Red”sign.I never blow red lights,camera or no camera.And i hate when people run red lights,especially since a few years ago a buddy of mine riding his motorcycle got nailed hard by a guy who ran a red light.Thank God he wasn’t seriously hurt.And when i said another red ligh ticket,I mean the same thing happened about four years ago.I made a right on red by accident..I don’t speed,tailgate,or cut people off.I have a perfect driving record,except for the red light tickets.🤨😬.

Edited by NYLIBUD

13 hours ago, peteski said:

T  What the heck is the *BIG* rush?!?!? Obey the traffic rules!  Same with stop signs. Nobody (but me) seems to actually come to complete stop anymore.

I agree what is the big rush everyone in todays world. Where ever you going is going to be there why get killed getting there or kill or injure someone else..

17 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Got another red light ticket that cost me $85.Arrrrgggg.I was coming home from a funeral.

Consider yourself fortunate, it's much more expensive in California. A neighbor paid $545 a few weeks ago. 

23 minutes ago, slusher said:

I agree what is the big rush everyone in todays world. Where ever you going is going to be there why get killed getting there or kill or injure someone else..

Never enters their mind that injury or death can occur because it hasn't happened to them and they figure it won't. The mindset is "me first" and " me, me, I, I" as what I refer to it. Everything I need to do is more important than anyone else. The red light or speed limit isn't meant for me. And so on...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, peteski said:

I used to drive the Garden State Parkway to work every day with a car pool mate. There was a guy at our work who had a red Miata. The parkway is 3-4 lanes. Sometimes going fast and coming to an abrupt stop.  And it didn't matter which lane, each lane would slow down and or stop from time to time.  We realized it equalized. So we'd stay in our lane.  

The clown in the Miata was driving a road race!  He'd zoom from lane to lane, whichever one was fastest at the moment, then cutting someone off when his lane stopped.  In the end, we'd be side by side with him when he got off his exit.  For all the aggressive theatrics, he gained exactly zero ground! We'd just laugh!

• Like 1

Posted some kits for sale on a FB page specific for the type of models they are. A page member messages me " how much?" I respond with what I thought was a reasonable price that included shipping because it's a large box/kit. His response is "No kit is worth that money, I'll never pay more than $75 for a kit!". Okay, check the listings on eBay and you will see that I was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than there. Given the the type of model, if he knew what he was looking at he would know what the going prices are. And when this kit was new retail was about $20 more than his limit of $75.

Edited by mikemodeler

My irk.  Ebay clowns. I have been buying and selling on the bay since about 1999. Many transaction. I have started to reduce my collection due to getting older and just want to unload some stuff. Never had much of a problem but in the last few weeks I had two bidders that won an auction and then just go away. No communication and no payment. Can't leave negative comments for buyers anymore that I can see. Not a huge deal because you can recoup your fees but I wonder....... why bid if you have no intention of following through with your bid ? Games ?

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

My irk.  Ebay clowns. I have been buying and selling on the bay since about 1999. Many transaction. I have started to reduce my collection due to getting older and just want to unload some stuff. Never had much of a problem but in the last few weeks I had two bidders that won an auction and then just go away. No communication and no payment. Can't leave negative comments for buyers anymore that I can see. Not a huge deal because you can recoup your fees but I wonder....... why bid if you have no intention of following through with your bid ? Games ?

I believe you can ban them from ever bidding on your listings.

Mostly idiot drivers not paying attention. Does the double yellow line in the middle of the road mean anything anymore?  Poeple think it's completely acceptable to drive halfway in the oncoming lane nowadays. Where's a cop when you need one now? 🤬

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

I was standing on the step as my son unlocked the door . I just picked him up at high school.

I fell backward off the step on the concrete my head hit the lower fender on my van and dented 

it too where the driver door won’t open very much.  Went too my body shop and 250 people in line  because 

they can’t get parts.  The bill is approved by my insurance. No deductible 900.00.  , they fixed it till the door opens.

I am just starting too feel better..

I have heard and read about vehicles being totaled by insurance companies, instead of providing a rental while waiting for parts.  Insurance company saves the cost of the rental, meanwhile they auction the wreck for (probably) more money than they'd get for it in "normal" times...

12 hours ago, Mark said:

I have heard and read about vehicles being totaled by insurance companies, instead of providing a rental while waiting for parts.  Insurance company saves the cost of the rental, meanwhile they auction the wreck for (probably) more money than they'd get for it in "normal" times...

The body shop business is up against the wall due to 1) increasingly inept vehicle design 2) various other forms of meddling and ineptitude over the years that have forced unnecessary complexity into vehicles, raising repair costs dramatically 3) insurance companies completely out of control trying to run the show, forcing us to use second-rate or used parts on anything more than a year old; adjusters who know nothing about their jobs but are apparently hired for reasons that have NOTHING to do with ability or experience; rental refusal and early termination problems, and low-ball "total" thresholds  4) constant parts bottlenecks due to industry-wide backorders or new-vehicle parts just not being available from dealerships, and 5) the literal, almost total impossibility of hiring entry level or skilled shop or management personnel who CAN or WILL do decent work (the only competent, highly ethical people I know in the car biz are in their late 40s to their 70s...except for one young guy who is the exception, and is everything you'd want working on a machine you trust your life to). Skilled geezers are going away much faster than the ranks are being filled with puppies, and if you don't believe me, look it up for yourself.

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/local/decline-manual-skills-raises-concerns-for-future-work-force/sdLv4vI2WSpOjLeRJ73bYP/

https://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/repair-skills-decline-points-to-future-manufacturing-deficit-570065

The most capable body shops I know are leaving the business (selling their name, good will, and property/plant) because it's just not worth the hassle of trying to do high-quality repairs in this environment anymore...and I bet they'll fail within two years under new ownership. If the top-of-the-line old dinosaurs I know well and have much respect for are having a hard time with today's rampant irrationality, noobs who come in thinking they know everything are going to get their butts handed to them on a platter.

Idiots have the reins in much of the business world now, and Atlas is beginning to shrug.

image.jpeg.2fafc0086cdbba28fca1af78d69f9695.jpeg

EDIT: After proof-reading again, I removed everything that could possibly offend any PC whistleblowers, or be twisted into something "political".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
PC COMPLIANCE

9 hours ago, slusher said:

I was standing on the step as my son unlocked the door . I just picked him up at high school.

I fell backward off the step on the concrete my head hit the lower fender on my van and dented 

it too where the driver door won’t open very much.  Went too my body shop and 250 people in line  because 

they can’t get parts.  The bill is approved by my insurance. No deductible 900.00.  , they fixed it till the door opens.

I am just starting too feel better..

Sorry to hear this Carl. I hope you are better soon.