Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Starting the tracking when the label is created is probably just the most pragmatic way of doing it.  It isn't the PO's, or eBay's, fault that some people seem to take advantage of that by creating labels as soon as they know where to ship the item.

Earlier this year, I got a model of a nice built 57 Chrysler 300 from someone on E Bay who lives an hour from my house here in Massachusetts and was sent via the USPS. While tracking it, it ended up in New Orleans and it sat at the USPS facility for a few days before it was shipped to my house. I kept the seller updated on the delay and he was surprised as I was.

"Logistics"...someone is routing the items so as to keep every truck or plane full, or nearly so.

They don't look closely enough to see that they manage to accomplish that by keeping some items in transport longer than necessary.  Every load is a full load, that's what counts.

16 hours ago, Monty said:

By means of contrast, I ordered some items from Hiroboy in Great Britain on the same day and they're already processing through a facility in Chicago.

I'd be interested to hear how fast your goods move through the Chicago sorting center - I've had a parcel (a kit from the UK) that was mailed on April 23rd, arrived at Chicago on April 28th...and hasn't moved since.

Apparently the Postmaster General identified multiple problems at that hub that need addressing, including slow processing of mail, poor organization, garbage (and mail) all over the floors...and a rodent infestation. 

On 6/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, imarriedawitch said:

New Revell releases $59.99 CDN at the shop up the road. 

Most kits from Revell/AMT here in the west are between $39 and $49 CDN.

For those of you in the US, that's around $31-40 US.

Tamiya and other asian import kits range from $39 to $89 CDN. 

27 minutes ago, Mark said:

"Logistics"...someone is routing the items so as to keep every truck or plane full, or nearly so.

They don't look closely enough to see that they manage to accomplish that by keeping some items in transport longer than necessary.  Every load is a full load, that's what counts.

Exactly, again.

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I'd be interested to hear how fast your goods move through the Chicago sorting center - I've had a parcel (a kit from the UK) that was mailed on April 23rd, arrived at Chicago on April 28th...and hasn't moved since.

Apparently the Postmaster General identified multiple problems at that hub that need addressing, including slow processing of mail, poor organization, garbage (and mail) all over the floors...and a rodent infestation. 

You may be on to something.  Apparently nothing has happened since 6/5/22:

June 5, 2022, 5:34 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) 
Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 5:34 pm on June 5, 2022.

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

For what it's worth, USPS has an online contact / complaint page.    https://www.usps.com/help/contact-us.htm

I've used it once when I started having recurring mis-delivery problems, and packages left in the driveway, at the street on the ground next to the box, on cars, and in the yard in the rain.

They got back to me soon, I saw the route driver going around with (apparently) his supervisor in the truck, and for now, everything's working well enough.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

June 5, 2022, 5:34 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) 
Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 5:34 pm on June 5, 2022.

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Yep - same message I've had for 5 or 6 weeks now.

I miss living near the NY international sorting center - parcel would go in on say a Monday and almost always come back out by Wednesday at the latest.  Now, if I order anything from overseas and it routes through Chicago (which makes sense, seeing as we're right by Chicago now) it'll take 6-8 weeks MINIMUM.  I had a kit from Japan that took 3.5 MONTHS. 

I've been pondering that it would be a LOT quicker to have any overseas parcels sent to a friend in NY and have them forward them...but it would be better if the Chicago mail peeps would tidy up and move faster (and, optionally, get rid of the rodent infestation)...

1 minute ago, CabDriver said:

Yep - same message I've had for 5 or 6 weeks now.

I miss living near the NY international sorting center - parcel would go in on say a Monday and almost always come back out by Wednesday at the latest.  Now, if I order anything from overseas and it routes through Chicago (which makes sense, seeing as we're right by Chicago now) it'll take 6-8 weeks MINIMUM.  I had a kit from Japan that took 3.5 MONTHS. 

I've been pondering that it would be a LOT quicker to have any overseas parcels sent to a friend in NY and have them forward them...but it would be better if the Chicago mail peeps would tidy up and move faster (and, optionally, get rid of the rodent infestation)...

Here's what's sad:  It's a small package containing resin & P/E air cleaner components.  Not a whole lot to inspect, or whatever it is they do.

1:24 Triangular Air Cleaner 1

Hope they can figure out a way to get it out of there quickly, although now I don't have a lot of hope.

So, as I understand it, their job isn't even to INSPECT the mail...just sort it, then hand off to customs so THEY can inspect it (if they so wish).

Customs is actually relatively fast compared to the USPS side of things (at least, at this particular facility).

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Most kits from Revell/AMT here in the west are between $39 and $49 CDN.

For those of you in the US, that's around $31-40 US.

Tamiya and other asian import kits range from $39 to $89 CDN. 

That's typical of what the prices were here as well, until the new '70 GSX, '69 Camaro and '66 Malibu came in.

I'm sure that this has happened to each member of this forum at least once or twice but some inconsiderate jerk stormed straight to the counter of my local Dunkin Donuts that I stop my every morning on my way to work instead of waiting in line like everybody else. Everybody in line gave the dude so much heat that he ran out the door without so much as an apology. Totally unreal.

I've never seen that at a donut shop or fast food place.

But, the times I went to the DMV office downtown (on work business) the line would always be super long, winding back and forth, meaning you'd be in line an hour or so before being served.

It never failed...after half an hour or so, some joker would walk in claiming he just stepped out of line to get some piece of paperwork he'd forgotten.  Of course, he was just trying to cut the line.  When the line was that long, they gave everyone numbers like at the supermarket meat counter.  No number...hey guy, we saved you a spot in line right at the back.

I drive a school bus for a living and I often yelled at drivers who attempt to blow by the stop sign that I have out when I pick up the kids. When I do, they act more immature than the kids. They're the type of people who think they have a sense of entitlement as you pointed out. I'd rather see the feelings of adults get hurt than see the chance of the kids and their parents getting physically hurt when they cross the street to get to the bus.

And I'm as grumpy as a bear before I have my morning coffee.

1 hour ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Unfortunately it’s always harder to interpret sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek jokes over text. I apologize for not picking up on the joke.

It’s probably wise for us not to delve further . . .

Agreed.

• Like 1

On the subject of Dunkin Donuts....they left Oregon a long time ago and I miss them terribly. Grew up eating the best donuts ever and used to stop in for a coffee sometimes on the way to work. That irks me today still.

I'm not a fan of DD either, but not to run them down, just not the way I like my donuts done. This may have to do with the way the local DD's make them, but I think they use entirely too much grease for my taste anyway. 

I think Dunkin' Donuts has gone the way of most stuff...cheapened and de-contented to barely resemble the product they originally sold.

Their coffee used to be among the best back in the '70s, but it's insipid dishwater these days, and the bagged stuff just doesn't cut it anymore either...unless you like insipid dishwater.

Over by the federal park where I go hiking, there opened a biscuit/sandwich joint a few years back. Best biscuits I've ever had anywhere, bar none. Expensive but worth every nickel for their flaky, buttery goodness.

Last time I went in they'd fiddled with the recipe, and the new improved result is tasteless greasy cardboard.

Less is more

Dunkin Donuts…. BLEH! Dunkin’ Donuts aren’t what it used to be years ago. Never was a fan of their coffee either. It’s funny to see many folks in long lines of the drive thru for their iced coffee.

We have a local bakery (Holland Farms) that makes awesome donuts and coffee.