Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

26 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I read that a million people left the city since this covid stuff happened.  If our lease wasn’t coming up and we didn’t sit down and reevaluate what the next year of our life is going to look like we’d still be here sticking it out...but as timing would have it, we looked at how much we pay in rent for so little space here, what the job market’s like (poor - my wife lost her job and my work is steadily drying up) and whether it’s going to go back to normal anytime soon (probably not) it seemed like a good time to try somewhere else.  Always kinda talked about living somewhere more rural - so maybe now’s a good time for an adventure!

I HATE leaving though, so this is something we’re treating as year long vacation and then we’ll see how the city/country/world looks in 12 months.  Hopefully, much better!

I heard a story on the radio today that NYC is dying, and for a number of reasons, won't be coming back...it's in a death spiral. You're getting out at a good time. If you have a commercial driver license you shouldn't have much trouble finding work of some sort, somewhere. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes. B)

Just now, Snake45 said:

I heard a story on the radio today that NYC is dying, and for a number of reasons, won't be coming back...it's in a death spiral. You're getting out at a good time. If you have a commercial driver license you shouldn't have much trouble finding work of some sort, somewhere. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes. B)

I hope that’s wrong - but I guess we’ll see!  New Yorkers are pretty resilient, and proud of that...but I’m not so stubborn about living here that I won’t move my wife and I somewhere safer and with better prospects for a year or two and enjoy TEN TIMES the square footage for less rent ?

I’m mostly excited about having an actual hobby room!  Lots of positives!

10 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I hope that’s wrong - but I guess we’ll see!  New Yorkers are pretty resilient, and proud of that...but I’m not so stubborn about living here that I won’t move my wife and I somewhere safer and with better prospects for a year or two and enjoy TEN TIMES the square footage for less rent ?

I’m mostly excited about having an actual hobby room!  Lots of positives!

I really hope it works out for the wife and you Jim!  I don’t believe it will be worse...

Back to "What Irks You"

Searching for and applying for jobs in 2020. Last time I was out of work was 2011. There was a robust online job market, but it was pretty simple to navigate.

Not so much anymore!

Calcareers, Indeed.com, CalJobs, Monster.com, Ect. Ect. Bloody Ect!!!! Every one requires log ins, security questions, passwords. The EDD (California Un-employment Dept) requires proof of all the jobs you've applied for online.

Highlight, Cut'n'Paste, paste, argh!

I'm too old for this guff. Yet, I have to work for another 13 years, so I need to learn it. I AM learning it, but the air over the computer turns a glowing shade of blue, quite frequently. I'm blessed with a Tech Savvy Daughter who helps me. She is so patient with her old man. I hope I find work soon. Not even an Interview yet....

I am discouraged. Not Defeated, but definitely a "Humble Tigger", for those of you who have watched "Winnie the Pooh & the Blustery Day"

Well, at least I have a new job!  Looking for a New Job is a Job, all by itself............

On 8/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, Rodent said:

You don't get mailed registration notices in Styrenestan? Here at the other end of US 50, they mail out notices about 2-3 months in advance. And I kind of remember March, July, and January as our registration months anyway. CA DMV has also put kiosks in several retail locations so if you can't/won't/didn't renew online, you can renew at the grocery store.

The idea of renewal kiosks at grocery stores is brilliant. The Registry should do that here.

Charlie Larkin

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Back to "What Irks You"

Searching for and applying for jobs in 2020. Last time I was out of work was 2011. There was a robust online job market, but it was pretty simple to navigate.

Not so much anymore!

Calcareers, Indeed.com, CalJobs, Monster.com, Ect. Ect. Bloody Ect!!!! Every one requires log ins, security questions, passwords. The EDD (California Un-employment Dept) requires proof of all the jobs you've applied for online.

I'm too old for this guff. Yet, I have to work for another 13 years, so I need to learn it. I AM learning it, but the air over the computer turns a glowing shade of blue, quite frequently. I'm blessed with a Tech Savvy Daughter who helps me. She is so patient with her old man. I hope I find work soon. Not even an Interview yet....

I am discouraged. Not Defeated, but definitely a "Humble Tigger", for those of you who have watched "Winnie the Pooh & the Blustery Day"

Well, at least I have a new job!  Looking for a New Job is a Job, all by itself............

I hear all of this. The last ten years for me have been a disaster. I'm eyeing several different things, including buying an apartment building if I can find anyone willing to work with me. Whether it's my chosen field, or anything else that I find interesting, interviews are non-existent, and have been for the most part since c. 2009.

Charlie Larkin

8 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

The idea of renewal kiosks at grocery stores is brilliant. The Registry should do that here.

Yup. I got my last several tags renewed at the kiosk in Kroger. Never anybody seeming to use it...but the mask-wearing supplicants still line up faithfully at the county tag office.

On 8/17/2020 at 5:57 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

... I ordered enough 72" sticks of annealed stainless 304 5/8" and 1/2" hard line from a well known performance parts supplier to finish the fuel system on the '66 Chevelle, and put some back in stock, as they were the ONLY ones who showed it available any time soon.

Got a buzz from FedEx it was on my porch. Pulled up and saw a smallish square box instead of the normal big mailing tubes the stuff usually comes in.

...Opened the box, it's 6' of some blue rubber hose that I have exactly zero use for.

Happy ending...I got a great customer service guy on the horn at Jeg's who went well out of his way to get the mess resolved, even calling the warehouse while I was on hold to make sure a human was aware of the problem with the order, and then sent me a pre-paid FedEx label to ship the wrong stuff back. Everything's looking good...and two sticks of the right stuff came in yesterday, which lets me move forward with the build while I wait for the rest.

11 hours ago, alexis said:

Back to "What Irks You"

Not so much anymore!

Don't forget to register with temp agencies. MANY big companies do ALL initial hiring through temp agencies now, and then transition people to full-time if they work out. My next-to-last job started as a 9-month temp gig (small agency, HUGE multinational corporation) that turned into 18 months and then 4 more years as a direct-hire of the company. My last job started as a 3 to 5 week gig (from Manpower) that turned into 11 months and it was the best paying job I ever had. Few if any benefits with a temp job but that's how you get your foot in the door. 

A side benefit is that if you can establish a personal contact with someone at a temp agency--name, phone number, email--you can list them as one of your job search contacts every week--just give them a call or send them an email. You can register with several agencies--they don't demand exclusivity. 

Good luck to you, old friend. Courage! B)

19 hours ago, alexis said:

Not so much any more

Are you on LinkedIn?  Today it’s pretty much who you know.   If you need help with it, let me know!

Got an email that the '68 Cougar parts I bought on SUNDAY (four days ago) had just been sent, and I could expect them between Sept. 1 and Sept. 4, which is almost two weeks from now. :angry:  I've bought stuff from other people on eBay on Monday and had it in my mailbox on Thursday. Oh well, other people here have REAL problems, and I prolly won't be starting work on the Cougar before then anyway. Just irksome. B)

39 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Got an email that the '68 Cougar parts I bought on SUNDAY (four days ago) had just been sent, and I could expect them between Sept. 1 and Sept. 4, which is almost two weeks from now. :angry:  I've bought stuff from other people on eBay on Monday and had it in my mailbox on Thursday. Oh well, other people here have REAL problems, and I prolly won't be starting work on the Cougar before then anyway. Just irksome. B)

Oh cool your engines!

Back when eBay was more a collector to collector medium (rememberer it was originally conceived to sell Pez dispensers) I sold a lot of stuff. I shipped once a week and all my auctIons (which all ended on Sunday evening) stayed that I shipped every Saturday for payments received by Friday. That was back when payments came in the mail.

Today eBay has sellers trained like dancing poodles that they need to ship immediately. And buyers now expect it, which is one of the reasons I don’t sell anymore 

Good evening everyone,

I know that in the US, and indeed elsewhere, there are a lot of political happenings. But, for a lot of very good reasons, we don't allow political discussions, rants, slogans, dialectics, manifestos, policy statements, policy studies, issue white papers, or diatribes here. They generate a lot of heat, but very little light, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I get plenty of that elsewhere. Let's keep it that way.

Thanks,
Dave Ambrose

On 8/21/2020 at 9:29 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Today’s irk? The friggin Walmart “Back To School” commercial with kids wearing masks!  Enough!

Ah, the "new normal".  :(  Hey, even sports mascots are "wearing" masks.  We are living in interesting times.

Well, I can’t get into the remote worksite, won’t load this morning, everything else for work does, my email, the site we use to log into for a “time clock”, the site that tells us hour shifts and break/lunch times, my Corp email, and a department cheat sheet in case needed for a call!  The kicker, since I can’t work, I can’t remain on the clock until it does, so I only have logged 1 hour of work and that was the 1st hour of log in attempts, the rest is approved but unpaid absence due to computer problems, which I can use vacation time for......guess it’s a good thing this pandemic jacked up our vacation plans, I can use the time for things like this and that power outage 2 weeks ago instead<_<

At least I got the chance to order some RPM parts for one of my R/C projects, screwed up the ones on there trying to mod them and now have to get new ones:rolleyes:

17 hours ago, peteski said:

Ah, the "new normal".  :(  Hey, even sports mascots are "wearing" masks.  We are living in interesting times.

I honestly think that with the exceptions of those that lived through the Spanish Flu, both world wars and/or Great Depression and are still around, this could very well be the worst year most of the world’s population has experienced in our lives, with few exceptions, it sure has sucked for my family so far.

18 hours ago, peteski said:

Ah, the "new normal".  :( 

One of the local radio stations is running ads saying how advertising on their joint can help your business "get back to the new normal."  Something about that phrase just ain't right. :unsure:

A friend hasn’t had a car in a few years and has been looking at. 2013 Taurus SEL (3.5l V6, flex fuel, FWD) and the used car lot is asking just under $13k “w/tax” for a lease on the car, with his down payment will nearly cover 1/3 of that amount, they still want $360 a mo for 48mo, which should be just over $17k AND then a fee of nearly $2500 at the end of the lease to buy it outright. Just the monthly payments and end of lease purchase amount is nearly $20k before factoring his down payment into the purchase of the car! I don’t think that would be far from the car cost new, maybe more if it was a rental at the beginning of it’s life.

Edited by Joe Handley