Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do you build models?

Escapism. A little reprieve from the real world and some of the creatures that inhabit it.

I can relate to that. A hobby, it takes your mind away from the day-to-day (where you may not have much control) and puts you in charge of the project. I seem to enjoy the process more than the result as I rarely go back and look at the finished ones in the display case, it's all about the one on the bench now.

A hobby, it takes your mind away from the day-to-day (where you may not have much control) and puts you in charge of the project.

Amen. While I was out of work, I'd spend fruitless days at my computer and on the phone with no results. A job search isn't something you have control over. So every day at 4pm I'd head up to the model room and work until dinner. It was something I could control and bring to a successful finish on my terms and say. It would wipe away the day, and I got a lot of models done!

As of November I have 34 years active in law enforcement. Model building is still my way of decompressing. I have been at it now for 50 years.

Through model building I have the ability to create art in areas that interest me. Autos, tanks, figures and such come alive during a build.

My collection of Marine Corps armor keeps me in touch with the Corps, past and present, even though I've been gone for decades.

I build hotrods, musclecars and copcars that I either I drove, or wanted to drive.

There isn't much else I can relate as to why. My only comment to that question, regardless of the topic, is "Why not?"

G

I used to build when I was younger, then I stopped at age 18. I found hanging out with friends more fun. In January 2009, I got clean from a bad drug habit, found that I needed something to do to occupy my time and have not stopped since. I find now that it is more relaxing and an escape from everyday suckyness. Also, I am a huge gearhead!!!!!!!!!

Awesome. This was the same point I was making in my rather long rambling post earlier.

My motivations are a mixture of nearly all of the reasons listed already, but I'll add something more: I enjoy building during the actual building process, but I also get tremendous enjoyment from thinking through future builds. If I have trouble sleeping, I'll mentally take a kit off of my shelf and build it step by step in my mind. If I'm stuck on a spot in a real build or daunted by a new technique I need to learn, I'll be thinking it through when I'm at work or on a long drive, etc. It's almost like meditating.

I was introduced to the hobby by watching my older brother back in the "Golden Age" (1960s). I built a lot of models (cars, ships, planes) as a kid. Although I "graduated" to 1:1 cars as a teenager, I never lost my love of models. It's been a central part of my life since I built my first one at age 6. As Jordan191 noted, it helps to keep my mind occupied in a positive mode, even when I can't actually get to the workbench. Although there have been periods of time (months, years) that the real world kept me away from the bench, the projects kept on going in my head. I also like the fact that this is a good wholesome hobby that the whole family can get involved in if they choose to do so.

I build for the money. It is a nice part time endeavor and I can sit down anytime and work on something. No time clock, no dead lines. It is not a get rich hobby but it is a nice supplement to my income and I get to be the boss. It is also gratifying to know that my models are my legacy. My name is on them. When a customer sits down at his desk and looks at Maserati birdcage I built he's looking at an extension of me...my work, my art. I like to think it reminds him of the great times he had with the real car.

as an escape from boredom, stress, and time deadlines. I work as a flat-rate auto tech, so all day it's go, go, go.......need it yesterday type environment. when I get to my work bench at home, I can spend as much time as I want fiddling with a part to get it just right in my eyes, no rush, and if I get tired, or uninterested I can walk away.

I also love cars and trucks, I had 1:1 muscle cars and after awhile that got out of hand money-wise, so now I build [or am going to build] all the 1:1 cars I would love to have.

For Me ~ it's like a Time Machine

I'm fascinated with the past, particularly 1890s to 1970s. I Love Cars, Trucks, Planes, Trains, yep pretty much

anything from those years, and being born in 1984, gives me no personal memories to re-live in my mind from that era.

I'm very partial to the classic road races of Italy - Mille Miglia & Targa Florio, also Carrera Panamericana, something

about driving over long distances over harsh conditions just gets to me - adventure I guess. Also like those classic Grand Prix racers !

I have my favorites - as my screen name suggests :rolleyes:! But I do enjoy almost all cars from all makes, from those years. Today cars all look like trash cans with very few exceptions.

Sadly I don't have a 1:1 DeLorean Time Machine (my 1/24 will arrive in the mail on Monday :D) so the next best thing is creating a

3D replica, something real and not on a computer screen ! I enjoy the challenge of the build and improving my skills, and I also really enjoy displaying my collection and building small diorama scenes for the models :) It is an escape from the depressing state of the world which I find totally relaxing and fulfilling.

Edited by enzoferrari

Its pretty simple for me. I started when I was a child and have been hooked ever since. The more I build the more I learn, not just about the models but 1:1 as well. My obsession for cars increases daily and building the models gets me as close as I can to building real ones. Someday...

Ive been told I build and do things for the wrong reasons... I started buiding models because I wanted to paint things. I started out with nerf guns, and then xbox gaming consoles, and model cars.. My favorite part of building is when I paint the body, and watch the paint dazzle in the sunlight after that final coat of clear......... I still enjoy the building process, and the feeling of creating something, but Another reason, and the reason I try to make the models as perfect as I can ( this is where the wrong reason part comes in) is because I love to be able to say yeah I did that , and have people say oh thats awesome, that paint is flawless. Its almost like I'm subconciously searching for gratification... But I'm not mentally depraved or anything.

Not to mention Ive always been fasciinated with cars trucks boats and planes.... And being able to have one on a shelf seals the deal.. But Honestly once the model is done, I rarely think of it, unless Im showing it off..

I guess I strive to be good at things, to show other people I can.

it could be any of my hobbies, body work, mechanic, diesel mechanic, woodworking and furniture building, welding and metal work, custom painting........ I build things, fabricate things, fix and upgrade things, then move on to the next thing.. for example I painted my Xbox in 10th grade, to match a popular video game them, and i spent hours making the paint masks and painting it until it was perfect.. I had never even played the game, I just figured people would think it was cool....

Edited by Mrdarkmonkey96

There was a feature on the "Today" show this morning, which I think describes it pretty well. It was about the country's largest arts & crafts show in Anaheim; that's a $30 billion industry, with over 62 million crafters. The reasons? Here's what they said, and I think it applies very well to model car builders:

- Relaxation

- Personal accomplishment

- Creative outlet

Of course, there are exceptions to anything that can be inferred from research or experienced observation, but I think those are pretty good general conclusions.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/today-visits-the-country-s-biggest-arts-and-crafts-fair/17wlt26s9?q=viral&from=en-us_msnhpvidmod&rel=msn&cpkey=8762aa66-5129-46d6-bdb9-70d1c6026e40%7cviral%7cmsn%7c%7c

Edited by sjordan2

I think of my models as real cars. I am extremely wealthy with over 150 cars in my barn. They started out as toys but, became real at some point in my life. They take me down memory lane often times and other times take me to world where I can afford to have any car I want. I think of past friendships and other people's rides, often building them. Sometimes I just think, "Well if Jay Leno was on my budget!" He is my age by the way so, that makes us on the same playing field, sort of. My wife reads all the time and I sometimes tell her my models are like her books.

I second this

Hmmmmmm... I became interested in model building at around age 8. I was fascinated by fire trucks and police cars. We lived in a small town and every time the fire whistle would blow, we would run to see what was going on. There was just something cool about it! When I was in 4th grade, I had a teacher who was an avid modeler. He even formed an after school model club. I remember being summoned to his classroom one day after returning from lunch. I had gone home for lunch (we didn't have a cafeteria) and brought back some paint thinner in an empty prescription bottle. You guessed it - the thinner dissolved the bottle and the resulting odious goo looked like something out of "The Blob"! Needless to say, my first lesson in solvents! As time went on, I gathered a kit here and there. But, no one I knew built models. I didn't really have good skills. I became involved in Emergency Services (fire/EMS) in my teens. I again gathered kits, but none were quite like the apparatus that I rode on. The Internet did not yet exist and I wasn't aware of the different specialty groups around the world. My "engineering" skills were/are nill, so I immersed myself in the world of fire/EMS. One day I heard about the Fire Apparatus Model Builder's Association (FAMBA). I was hooked! I would drive three hours each way to attend meetings. I couldn't wait for the newsletter to arrive! Model Musters were frequent back then and a great opportunity to learn and share our work. I did find that my perfectionist tendencies often got in the way of actually completing models - a challenge that continues today! I have found that when I build fictitious models that they tend to get completed faster than 1:1 replicas. I do love the feeling that I get at FINALLY completing one. As many have shared, it definitely is my creative outlet. I can immerse myself in building for hours. I do appreciate models of all types, but emergency service models are near and dear to me heart. As most of what I build requires extensive modification, I have often shelved projects for lack of the skills or knowledge to successfully complete a model. Right now I am working on a project that has been over 30 years in the making. I have made good progress on it lately and hope to have it done soon. Fortunately, the truck is still in service. .. Sorry for rambling...

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

Great topic. I guess my beginnings came from my father who built various types of subjects. I recall him building a Cutty Sark, a USS Enterprise carrier, and a few military subjects and remember going to the hobby shop with him as a young boy. I still have the box top from the first model my parents got me to build, and have built various subjects including model rockets since childhood. I think I have continued to build for various reasons, as aside from appealing to my meticulous nature, as I have grown older nostalgia has become more of a motivator. I love the racing subjects from my youth, both drag and Indy, have rebuilt the model rockets of my youth, and now have the urge to do a few of my favorite military subjects.

I see from the thread that my reasons are mirrored by many others, and only hope that the hobby moves forward and is kept alive over time.

Simple, I'm a gear head , always have been and always will be ( it's in my genes )

I like cars,,,,, especially drag cars of my youth . And I can't afford to own the fullsize versions( at least not all of them ) so 1/25th scale will simply,,,,,,,,,,,,,have to suffice.

For me its the creative process. I LOVE custom built cars- hot rods , customs, and race cars. The design and engineering are both emotional and fascinating. It's been like that for me since I was a little kid. If I had the money, I would build 1:1 cars. I don't, so I take out my desires on scale models.

Scott

It's relaxing and I feel like I have accomplished something instead of just vegging out watching. I meet a lot of great people through model building, I love building miniatures of the cars I like, they take up a lot less space than the real thing, and hopefully I can pass on my collection in a very long time to someone that would enjoy them as much as I have. I've been building since I was a kid and just never stopped so I guess if you like something you stick with it. Nothing else better has come along that give so much enjoyment for so little investment.

I just questioned this to myself today when decals for a project turned to ######. And said "why am I even bothering with models?" As this hobby can get aggravating quick. I built models with my dad years ago. Stopped and forgot about them once I became a teenager and got my own real car. Just recently in mid 2013 got back into it. I just love cars. And with models you can build and have kits the majority of us will never own as a real car ever. I like the challenge and coming up with a nice finished product to admire. It's a nice constructive hobby that is fairly inexpensive and keeps me busy while the weather is bad outside. So far I'm not burnt out just yet :rolleyes:

Edited by Terminator-Fox