Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

What did I get? Well, on the weekend I got my new deck finished.

We build the original 15 years ago when we built the house. So it was time for a new one.

Wifey wanted a pergola and privacy screens on the one side.

Usually, my dad was the wood expert, so he would be in charge of all wood-related projects. But now that dad is gone, this is the first wood project I tackled myself.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And it hasn't fallen down yet, so that's a plus.

Now we need to go get some new deck furniture. Tables, chairs, etc. Plus some lighting, plus some bluetooth outdoor speakers.

20200524_163201.thumb.jpg.eb764b6220025d900ac60ea3e1fc6c92.jpg

20200524_163209.thumb.jpg.5a4525af0024102588f9f7e670bb21c1.jpg

1155053064_Woodwagonpass.jpg.302e8c3138882a512ea8ca228781fa21.jpg

Well, I'd call this "not model related" since it isn't a plastic model kit or a factory built die cast. I was the single winning bidder at $9.95 for it on eBay, the seller said it was "a display piece for Spring clothing at a large Department store in Cleveland," given to him in the 1990s as a gift. Apart from the bottom 1/3rd of the wheels/tires, I really can't spot any other seam lines, so it is possible that the entire body is a single chunk of easily carveable but moderately heavy wood. I don't think it's balsa wood unless that comes in heavier forms. A magnet sticks to the roof rack and the two straps holding the surfboard. It's just a bit over a foot long, scale size is maybe between 1/16 and 1/12. Whoever carved and painted it definitely was talented!

1249724780_Woodwagonfrdr.jpg.25cf33c70558c83d030909f0ee751303.jpg

319733218_Woodwagonpassfr.jpg.be87eae4b77b5278e9c7bd1bc46127ef.jpg

716366451_Woodwagondrr.JPG.6b82406cf1017be006848025cf66c291.JPG

664719280_Woodwagonbottom.jpg.05e8ceb7c7b71c5a5a3eb90b3bf2ec03.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Details! We need details! Show us something cool! B)

I seem to remember a prohibition here about getting too specific or showing photos along those lines on this board. I may remember that incorrectly, but suffice it to say I've acquired rather more firepower than a pea-shooter, but rather less than a star destroyer.   :D

Got an 8mm home movie of the Glenview Naval Air Station Open House day from May 1965. Ran it through the viewer and found not only great shots of aircraft, but a lot of views from the parking lot (hard to believe somebody still drove a Renault 4CV!). Other shots showed a new red '65 Impala on a viewing stand for a raffle (the display would make a good diorama), and most unusually, a '63 Ford Country Sedan in an attractive blue and white Chicago PD Canine Unit scheme. Would be a unique way to finish a Paul Hettick resin, now that the dog-dish (!) hubcaps are available.

I'll try to get it digitized soon and grab some stills for the 1:1 section.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

13 hours ago, Marko Nykänen said:

There's some info, not all though:

What engine does it have? I'm not into Fords but there are some interesting ones, like yours.

I had a friend with a Mk 2 that ran a Rover V8 (215 c.i. Buick by another name)on 51/2J steel wheels. Squirrelly, but would do a genuine 140 mph. It was a well-worn red and looked completely standard except for the big tailpipes. It was known as the Red Bomber.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:10 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I seem to remember a prohibition here about getting too specific or showing photos along those lines on this board. I may remember that incorrectly, but suffice it to say I've acquired rather more firepower than a pea-shooter, but rather less than a star destroyer.   :D

So you got a Tiger 1? Tiger 131 - Wikipedia

Just watch out for Oddball.image.jpeg.4b21ca19985b47e4179452c604f0497d.jpeg

11 hours ago, DonW said:

What engine does it have? I'm not into Fords but there are some interesting ones, like yours.

It's a Kent engine, came out of F-group rally car. Unfortunately the cylinder head was cracked so had to use the basic one. Also with only one carb, I have dual carb setup too, but I don't know if I'm ever going to put it in. Too lazy...

Click the pic to view one minute video, running first time in 9 years. Circuit breaker gap is way too small, so didn't fire properly, so sounds kind of rough.

_medium.jpg

Saw a yard sale on Craig's List for miscellaneous stuff and found some ECHL bobbleheads for the local team.  Of course it was after the time of the sale so with little hope I reached out to see if they are still available.....they were.  Loaded up this a.m. and arrived at the sale.  In talking with the home owners, the gentleman said there are some programs over in the book stack.  Fanning through them, the holy grails appear!  Programs from WHA and AHL teams of the early 70's to the early 80's.  Not mint but very fair prices!!

Vintage AHL Program.jpg