Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to do with instructions?

If you have multiples of the same kit,toss them or give them away or sell them.For an OOB build with liberal guidelines shoot clear lacquer on the pages to stiffen them then paint them and use them as spoilers or tonneau covers or ground effect pieces. 

Or you might check with Bob at Drastic Plastic, http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/    and see if he has an interest in them seeing as scaning isn't on your list of things to do.

I gave away a box full. I can't find the post or the messages where I did it, so I don't remember if it was Bob. I think I put them in the Trades section for free, and someone took them all. He said he was going to scan them to put online.

Or you might check with Bob at Drastic Plastic, http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/    and see if he has an interest in them seeing as scaning isn't on your list of things to do.

This is a big +1 for me. I found Bob's website extremely helpful in a pinch.  I have contributed several instruction scans and if we could get more modelers to do that, the online instructions library would be huge!

I toss them all in a file folder in my hobby file cabinet.  You never know... I referred to one I haven't touched in 20 years to answer a question here on the board the other day.  And when people request a certain one, it's much easier for me to just pop it in an envelope to mail, rather than having to scan it.  I mail a few out a year.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I toss them all in a file folder in my hobby file cabinet.  You never know... I referred to one I haven't touched in 20 years to answer a question here on the board the other day.  And when people request a certain one, it's much easier for me to just pop it in an envelope to mail, rather than having to scan it.  I mail a few out a year.

Me too...  They are great for reference and someone might need a copy of them. 

Have several file folders full of them in one of my file cabinets, instructions often going back to the mid '60's. I find it quite interesting from time to time to look through them they will remind me of models built back when...., models that I built that are now gone or as an interesting glimpse into the history of our hobby. I wouldn't think of throwing them out.

Even if you put them on eBay you could always scan them and send the scan to the Drastic Plastic site so they can get them online.  I've been helped in the past by the hosted instruction sheets so I'm a big proponent of helping the clubs who host them.

BTW In the tips section I have started a thread with links to Revell and Drastic Plastic's Instruction Sheets, so if you have any more links to clubs or manufacturers who have instructions online add them please.  

Edited by Skip

I throw them all away. I don't see the point in hording paper. As soon as the kit box is empty it goes in the recycle can, too.

I mean, I can see the point in keeping a super crisp instruction sheet from an original issue 50's or 60's kit because (for example) the AMT Trophy ones have the neat "Hints by Barris" customizing suggestions on the back. But, to me, there's absolutely no value in modern issue sheets.

I try and learn from people like my Dad who open a box after 40 years and ask, "Why did I keep all this BS?"

I always did keep all my Lego instruction books as a kid, though, because those actually get torn down and rebuilt.

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Drastic Plastic shut down a few years ago and the files were supposed to have been taken over by Alex Kustov at italianhorses.net, but that does not appear to have happened. The current incarnation of Drastic Plastic has a small fraction of what they used to have, so it looks like they need a lot of rebuilding. I don't know what the process for adding instructions there now might be, but the site needs a lot of people chipping in. 

Edited by sjordan2