Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster

Johnt671

Somebody explain to me why the door panel lines on this kit stick out from the surface instead of being recessed. The only possible "reason" I can come up with is a massive brain freeze on the part of the people who cut the tooling. Even back in the Stone Age when this kit was tooled, door panel lines didn't stick up from the surface!

Maybe they hired Airfix mold designers.

A couple of people have described how it's much easier to cut the tooling so that the resulting plastic part comes out of the mold with a raised panel line rather than with a correct recessed panel line. Well, of course it's easier! 

That's the point I was trying to make... they cut corners and took the easy way out.

No wonder Pyro kits have such a stellar reputation... :rolleyes:

A couple of people have described how it's much easier to cut the tooling so that the resulting plastic part comes out of the mold with a raised panel line rather than with a correct recessed panel line. Well, of course it's easier! 

That's the point I was trying to make... they cut corners and took the easy way out.

No wonder Pyro kits have such a stellar reputation... :rolleyes:

Um, I wouldn't be so hard on them. As others have also repeatedly mentioned, majority of companies making injection-molded styrene model kits used raised details to represent panel lines in their kits (cars, armor, airplanes, etc).  That was the de-facto way of doing things - not cutting corners.  Just like with everything, manufacturing methods and techniques improve with time. Actually automotive models were probably the first type of models to break that mold :D. Aircraft models continued to have raised panel lines for many years after all car models converted to engraved panel lines.  There are probably still some small manufacturers who still have raised panel lines on their models.

Edited by peteski

• 1 year later...

I started working on the Lindberg Auburn I got over the weekend. I'm much more impressed with this kit than I expected to be. My only complaint is the raised door lines. And even that is not as bad as it could be. I've seen a lot worst. I'll be leaving them be. The more I look at and play around with this kit, the more I like it. Shouldn't have stayed away from it for so long. Better than the old Pyro/Lindberg Cord. And I recently picked up the Cord. It's not as nice as the Monogram version. But, it's no where nearly as bad as a lot of people claim it is. I'm impressed enough with both the old Pyro/Lindberg Auburn and the Cord to have ordered the Pyro/Lindberg Lincoln. 

Scott

I still haven't one anything with this kit. I've learned more since I bought it, and I think I can do a good job on it now. Maybe I'll start on it in the spring so I can paint it. I still have the old school Hemi saved for it. I'd normally build cars from the 50's and 60's, but I've done a few old car builds over the winter, and I've enjoyed building the. No BMF = : ).

Edited by Johnt671

I started working on the Lindberg Auburn I got over the weekend. I'm much more impressed with this kit than I expected to be. My only complaint is the raised door lines. And even that is not as bad as it could be. I've seen a lot worst. I'll be leaving them be. The more I look at and play around with this kit, the more I like it. Shouldn't have stayed away from it for so long. Better than the old Pyro/Lindberg Cord. And I recently picked up the Cord. It's not as nice as the Monogram version. But, it's no where nearly as bad as a lot of people claim it is. I'm impressed enough with both the old Pyro/Lindberg Auburn and the Cord to have ordered the Pyro/Lindberg Lincoln. 

I agree with you entirely, Scott. All these kits can build up into nice models, and actually fit together pretty well.

The only thing I find really not to my liking is that I believe (I have NOT measured) that the scaling may be a little off here and there. The Cord has some odd lines that don't exactly match the real car, as does the Auburn (though not as noticeable) and both the Auburn and Lincoln seem to be a little small for 1/25...but again, I have NOT measured.

I bought that Auburn kit several years ago and considered building it. But just recently, after again looking over its flaws (mentioned above and also misshapen grille and few more things), I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. Instead, I went on eBay and found myself a slightly damaged Franklin Mint diecast rendition of that car for a really good price. What a huge difference in appearance. The Franklin Mint model looks so much better!

I have to watch the parking lot at my house. This car belongs to the local judge, and shows up every year to get his taxes done, I hope the weather is is nice this year so I can get more. pictures. I think it's a kit car but I'm not sure, but some more pictures would help.

I have to watch the parking lot at my house. This car belongs to the local judge, and shows up every year to get his taxes done, I hope the weather is is nice this year so I can get more. pictures. I think it's a kit car but I'm not sure, but some more pictures would help.

20160330_140002-11_zpspab2z418.jpg

It looks like one of the kit cars which used to be available. I had a neighbour who owned one of these cars, and put a lot of money into upgrading the engine and other bits. He ended up selling it, and his other collector car, when he and his wife moved back into the city.

This Is Most definately a kit car, and quite a nice one. Typically the wheel and tire combination are a dead give-away as are the external exhaust pipes on the drivers side. The same holds true for Duesenberg replicas. If you see pipes on the driver's side it ain't a real Auburn or Duesenberg.  The same is not true of Cords which were V8, not straight 8 powered. 

This Is Most definately a kit car, and quite a nice one. Typically the wheel and tire combination are a dead give-away as are the external exhaust pipes on the drivers side. The same holds true for Duesenberg replicas. If you see pipes on the driver's side it ain't a real Auburn or Duesenberg.  The same is not true of Cords which were V8, not straight 8 powered. 

Actually, the real Auburn speedsters have them on the driver's side, though an extra set on the passenger side is a dead giveaway that it's a replica. 

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Auburn/35_Auburn_851_Cabrio_KM-07_EC_e02.jpg

I bought that Auburn kit several years ago and considered building it. But just recently, after again looking over its flaws (mentioned above and also misshapen grille and few more things), I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. Instead, I went on eBay and found myself a slightly damaged Franklin Mint diecast rendition of that car for a really good price. What a huge difference in appearance. The Franklin Mint model looks so much better!

If I didn't say it before here, that Lindberg/Life-Like/Pyro Auburn 851 Speedster is a very good example of just how primitive model car kits (and the design/tooling process that brought them to market) was in 1954 when that kit was designed and tooled up (first introduced in 1055).

Art