Model Cars Magazine Forum

37/40 Ford Streamliner Custom

Impalow

So here is my next one...  I saw the Rob Ida 1939 Mercury custom at SEMA and I was completely amazed by it. 

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/11/06/rob-ida-built-1940-merc-takes-sema-best-of-show-trophy-from-ford/

To the point of spending quite awhile drooling over all the details, then instagram stalking the build photos.  The style, engineering and innovation on this thing amazed me.  If you haven't had a chance to check it out, please do...   a piece of art work, that just happens to be a car.

My plan is to build a vehicle inspired by this one... taking the performance up a notch while still having that art deco / streamliner style.

Starting with the revell 40 ford 5-window and giving it a laid back chop... im going to keep this a 5 window unlike the inspiration car.. (think matranga 40 merc or hirohata merc)

once the chop was flushed out i started on the fenders, i like the profile and style of the 37 ford fenders... plus the peak on the top plays perfectly into the vision in my head. So i adapted the 1/24 37 ford sedan front fenders, the extra width from the scale difference was a help.  This is going to have nice fat tires with wide whites all around, a little trick I have in store later.

Then the rear fender work started... using the 40 fenders as a base, cut down, then extended with my favorite scratch building tool  Wendy's Spoons!

Here it sits as of last night with some rough mockup skirts... lots of work to go..  but it feels like a solid start.