Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dieselpunk Alternate Reality Turbine Hybrid II: Design Adjustments

Ace-Garageguy

I got a rear body and fenders from a Johan 1934 Mercedes 500k Special Sports Roadster for about a buck in one of the junk bins at the last year's NNL South. The previous owner had started hacking and filling on the tail of it, making a fastback coupe, and I hated to see his work and vision end up in the trash. Though I didn't really know where he ultimately intended to go, there was something about it I found oddly inspiring. The previous work had some interesting ideas, but was very fragile and mostly carved out of lacquer putty, plastic scraps and some balsa. I thought about it in the back of my mind for over a year and finally got motivated to pull it out and do a hard mockup of the parts of the vision my imagination had filled in.

This is what I started with, the $1 rescue (minus the wheels, of course)

DSCN9803_zpsgpbxpdz3.jpg

There's a long way to go with this one, but I've about got the general theme, major proportions and stance where I like them.

DSCN9874_zpsdgxwddhq.jpg

DSCN9878_zpsuqkqyve6.jpg

DSCN9879_zpsr5oocjuk.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thank you all for your interest and kind comments.

Again, this was the $1 starting point. No frame, no wheels, no hood, nothing but what you see here. The fenders weren't attached when I got it, so I juggled the proportions to this point.

DSCN9803_zpsgpbxpdz3.jpg

Before I could do anything, I had to reinforce the previous work that had been done. It was VERY fragile, and began to disintegrate as I handled it. A layer of glass and epoxy inside should hold it together long enough to get a final shape, a finish, and molds made.

DSCN9884_zpsbhnev9fc.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Concept looks great, Bill... though it'll be a real labour of love to rework that plastic/balsa/putty hybrid. But I guess that's "sympathetic restoration" rather than a "replica" ;-P

Was your name Saoutchik in a previous life?

Some of the best looking automobiles ever created, IMHO... you're in great company!

bestest,

M.

Again, thank you all for your interest and comments. :D

Matt, I'm sure that Saoutchik, as well as Figoni et Falaschi, and even Capt. Nemo's car from "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" were all at least strong subconscious influences on the looks of this thing.

So now I know what you'll be doing with that Revell parts pack turbine engine thingy. 

You guessed it. This one will use a large turbine made up from the Revell kit, in the front, powering a generator that drives wheel-motors and charges a battery pack.

I have something somewhat similar going that uses two small turbines in the rear in a setup inspired by the Jag C-X75. 

... What color?

I've been experimenting with faux-bare-metal finishes for a while, and in keeping with the kinda dark tech-noir feel I'm after for this one, I'll probably be doing something like what finally worked out for my Challenger I a couple years back.

DSCN1204_zpseb9d9c2c.jpg

Great approach to something different - looking forward to seeing this come along, and thanks for sharing with the pics.

That may be a common tip with the fiberglass and epoxy, but I don't think I have ever seen that done before.  Could you elaborate a little more on the fiberglass fabric (where to get?) and maybe what set you used for the epoxy?  Also, do you just sand that out further after it sets or other?  Thanks,