Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dieselpunk Alternate Reality Turbine Hybrid II: Design Adjustments

Ace-Garageguy

This project has very good "bones"as a starting point.I would have paid a dollar for that stuff in a heartbeat.Unfortunately I am always the guy in line behind you when you find stuff like that hoping you will set it down so I can buy it.Always a day late and a dollar short!

Bill, if you can get your hands on the winter 2015 issue (#44) of Rod & Kulture, I think you might find some inspiration on page 24. 

Or just Google Jerry Wolfe Alward.

Thanks! The guy's brilliant. Here's the FB  link...        https://www.facebook.com/Jerry-Alward-Art-and-Color-169242459808635/

• 2 weeks later...

She's progressing, so I thought some of you may like the see where the thing began to take off. This was the first styling fiddle, with the front fender filler made from sheet styrene, and the rear skirt made up from card stock. I tried several hood treatments, and settled on using a part from a diecast model of Posies Extremeliner as a start.

DSCN9824_zpspl8enand.jpg

The next thing was to draw the front wheels on, to get a feel for the overall look.

DSCN9839_zpsyul5v9kv.jpg

Then I built a frame from rectangular styrene stock to hold the front fender modifications together, straight and parallel, and to give it all enough strength to hark on it.

DSCN9836_zpser6qrc4i.jpg

I started the filling-in process with rough lengths of styrene strip stock, stuck in place quickly with liquid cement.

DSCN9864_zpsixisz14l.jpg

I'd previously glassed the underside of the cabin (the part the previous owner / builder had started on) to hold it together, and now I've filled the backside of the new front fender pods with epoxy / cotton flock. I've also used the same material to reinforce the attachments of the fenders to the body shell. This structure has to be pretty tough, as I'll be carving and shaping the top side into a plug for molds. The whole thing needs to be able to stand up to some pretty rough handling, grinding and sanding.

DSCN9885_zps6x8yx9cs.jpg

The fronts of the fender pods, also rough-filled with the epoxy / cotton-flock slurry. The blocks under the leading edge of the grille were added to adjust the lines, when viewed from the side.

DSCN9886_zpsfxonfwkq.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This is intense! I like the concept, and I am partial to steam punk design. I feel a doc cranky vibe going on here. Got any watch parts?  I see so much to learn here. I will be watching this one carefully, to learn more scratch building techniques! Thanks for sharing your progress. 

Thanks again to everyone for your interest. :D

The engine will be based on the vintage Revell Dream-Car Turbine engine kit. It's shown built-up on the left. It doesn't really look like any real turbine I've been able to find, and my research and some input from somebody who ought to know (info from one of Revell's guys) confirmed this. It's kinda similar to some older APU turbines with external combustion chambers, but there are also nonsense parts on it that have no close analog in reality. So, it will be modified to look more like something that actually existed, with an appearance that would be consistent with the function of a real engine.

One of the things I snagged from a junk box at the last NNL event here was this chrome tree from the old Johan Chrysler Turbine, and some of it, probably the regenerators, will make its way into the engine bay on this thing.

i didn't mention it specifically earlier, but one mod I felt to be necessary was cutting the rear fender loose, spacing it outward a bit, raising it relative to the body a little, and rotating the rear upwards considerably. Also extended the lower edge down. Pix tell the story. The effect is to lighten the tail and make the lower fender lines echo those of the front better.

DSCN9819_zpsyine3dep.jpg

DSCN9877_zps99equjfe.jpg

DSCN9871_zpsmkqtvf38.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 5 years later...