Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

23 hours ago, bubbaman said:

went to OLLIES in ROCKINGHAM and they had an A.M.T. kit the  2 cars in 1 - it was the  t bucket 1925  - for  $7.99  - can`t beat that

Still can't figure that place out. I understand it is a clearing house store but why send 4 cases of the same kit to one store and not divide them up. I know money .

16 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Still can't figure that place out. I understand it is a clearing house store but why send 4 cases of the same kit to one store and not divide them up. I know money .

YEP! Time.......and time is money.  They get pallets of cased kits in from Hobbico, Break them down by case and ship them out. No rhyme or reason....just get them in stores so we can get some kind of ROI. What goes where is not much concern to a few warehouse workers.....it all looks the same. Pretty simple from a business point of view.  I think they figure they will sell them all Christmas time.....Grandma will buy the dogs we don't!

I have visited multiple stores looking for specificly the chase elliott kit. Hard to find. i have found 19 however.

Hamburg NY-2

Mansfield OH-10

Toledo OH-2

Columbus south OH-5

However i found none at the following stores.

Niagara falls NY

Buffalo NY

Dunkirk NY

Erie PA

Sandusky OH

I did get other kits at these stores. I dont understand how ollies operates but it seems unorganized as far as inventory.

They had bunches of those Chase Elliot and Havick cars in Quakertown, Pa. When I was there about a week ago there was probably a least a case of each. I have zero interest in the nascar stuff, and it doesn't look like they were moving very fast. I am guessing they will there for a while. -Larry

For those in or passing thru Upstate South Carolina:  Hit a huge Ollie's store today in Greenville, SC.  Unfortunately it had pretty much the same kits as the smaller store in Anderson, SC.  Two different Stroker McGurk kits, "Ghost of the Salt Flats" and the Hemi-powered surfboard. Piranhas, Danica Patrick and another NASCAR Ford Fusion.  And the Flintstones car! No '29 Fords or '57 Corvettes.

I'm starting to think Ollie's allots its kits by geographical region or something.  It's interesting to read this thread and see what kits are in stock where around the country, anyway.

Also stopped by a Hobby Lobby in Easley, SC.  It had ONE Revell '85 Olds 442/FX-3 kit left on the shelf and I grabbed it.  There are 2 other Hobby Lobbys near me and neither store has that kit in stock.  I didn't even see a shelf space marked for it in either store.  Maybe HL will refresh the kits as it gets closer to Christmas.   

5 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Also stopped by a Hobby Lobby in Easley, SC.  It had ONE Revell '85 Olds 442/FX-3 kit left on the shelf and I grabbed it.  There are 2 other Hobby Lobbys near me and neither store has that kit in stock.  I didn't even see a shelf space marked for it in either store.  Maybe HL will refresh the kits as it gets closer to Christmas.   

More likely they are waiting on replenishment stock from Revell, which sounds like it's coming soon.

• 11 months later...