Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

Was in the Ollies in Cherry Hill, NJ today. They had most of the automotive kits mentioned above, but no trucks. They did have something I’ve never seen before - Lindberg pre-painted police Crown Vic kits inside a display case (you have to build the Crown Vic.). They had fictitious markings, but for $9.99 not bad for a kit plus display case. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was at my local Ollie's today and they still had some kits available. I happened to stumble upon them; they were in a different aisle than they are usually located. Nothing all  that great; I got the only '05 Chrysler 300 and '55 Vette that they had .The rest of the stock was ( all AMT) the Camaro concept version  and the '09 and '10 Corvette Showroom Replica unassembled promo style kits. So check your local Ollie's. Your store's stash may be different and better.

Stopped by my Ollie's today before work and picked up

×1 MPC 72 GTO (need the body only)

×2 lindberg 32 ford roadsters (good wheels and engine

×1 AMT Datsun 280zx

×2 MPC Dodge Daytona (awsome deep dish torque thrusts with TERRIBLE chrome)

×1 MPC 49 Merc snap kit (looked cool)

All for about $50...

I love Ollies!!

Last time they had a big batch of the lindberg dodge B-bodys the color me gone and the Maverick 330's.

I didn't give anyone much of a chance on those, as I think I bought nearly everyone they had. For less than $150

I think I bought around 16 of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, Tom Geiger said:

It makes you wonder where they are getting this stuff!

This is a very small market.

Back when they had their first big sale, some 6 years ago it was all Lindberg.  We surmised that Frank had a warehouse full of slow movers and sold it off to finance the latest kit releases.  

Since then they've had a mix of all manufacturers.   People said it may have been from Hobbyco, again slow movers from their big warehouse.

And now they are gone...  where is there an entity  that would have quantities of these kits?   Remember Ollies is getting larger as a chain.   Their sale represents a huge load of models!   Intellectual curiosity is killing me!

On 10/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, kurth said:

This is a good question. I can not think of a store that carries model kits which would have such large quantities, with the exception of Hobby Lobby. But Hobby Lobby liquidates with clearance sales, as documented in many places, with car kits for $7.48.  Maybe Michaels, but they seem content to sell the same 5 revell kits at MSRP + 200% . 

I think these may be over stocks from Round2. Look at the kits which are offered...we see two Truck kits. These may be subjects of limited appeal, and Round 2 may have saturated the market for trucks with a bonanza of long awaited re-issues.  

Then the Daytona kits, If I recall correctly,  those are well known to be the least desirable Daytona kits with the plastic planks to add to the fenders to make the fenders large enough to match the nose. 

So these all may have been kits for which Round2 misjudged the market and got stuck with a large quantity of.

That is just my guess.  I love trying to solve a mystery like this, thanks for bringing it up, Tom.

Finally got around to cracking open the 2005 Chrysler kit that I picked up in October.  After checking it out I was looking at the box, curious about how long it had possibly been sitting around, as discussed above:

Surprise! It was manufactured in 2019!  Date under the UPC on the box bottom is 06/19/2019 to be exact.  Took a look at the '50 Mercury: UPC date is also 06/19/2019.  Stamping inside of the Merc body (on the inside of the roof) is also dated 2019.

Seems like at least some of these kits must have been manufactured specifically for Ollies, since that's only a few months before they actually started hitting their shelves in September.  Maybe that's also the reason for the $9.99 price compared to $7.99 previously - at least some of these are no longer overstock from other retailers anymore.

7 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Finally got around to cracking open the 2005 Chrysler kit that I picked up in October.  After checking it out I was looking at the box, curious about how long it had possibly been sitting around, as discussed above:

Surprise! It was manufactured in 2019!  Date under the UPC on the box bottom is 06/19/2019 to be exact.  Took a look at the '50 Mercury: UPC date is also 06/19/2019.  Stamping inside of the Merc body (on the inside of the roof) is also dated 2019.

Seems like at least some of these kits must have been manufactured specifically for Ollies, since that's only a few months before they actually started hitting their shelves in September.  Maybe that's also the reason for the $9.99 price compared to $7.99 previously - at least some of these are no longer overstock from other retailers anymore.

I have that same 05 Chrysler kit I just opened recently... and ironically I'm trying to fuse it together with the (horrible) Daytona. Also got the Merc Snapper...

Wonder if any of it had anything to do with Ollie's buying out all of Toys R Us inventory? I don't remember if they had kits or not but perhaps?

I also wonder if Round 2 had produced x number of these kits and didn't sell them immediately to regular retailers... so they just fire sold them to Ollies?

Or perhaps they just wanted them off their books before tax time?

I'm waiting on a restock at my Ollie's, now all that remains is the regular ships and planes and anatomy models... and a bunch of Corvette promo style kits.

8 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Interesting!  Sounds like Round 2 did a special run of less desirable kits for Ollies, rather than selling them overstock.

No real info here......just guessing......Could be that R2 needs to run let's say 5K kits to get a good price from vendor in China. They know they will sell 3K in normal channel and Ollie's will buy the overage at 40% of their retail of $10.....a wholesaler normal. R2 gets the price point from vendor, more kits into hands....a win win..........just sayin.....

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

No real info here......just guessing......Could be that R2 needs to run let's say 5K kits to get a good price from vendor in China. They know they will sell 3K in normal channel and Ollie's will buy the overage at 40% of their retail of $10.....a wholesaler normal. R2 gets the price point from vendor, more kits into hands....a win win..........just sayin.....

14 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

I like this theory...  Round two has a market for kits which might be hard to sell otherwise. If the Date is accurate, then it would seem to support the theory. A win for everyone, like Dave Van says.  

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

Could it be inventory that was slated for A.C. Moore?

Now that makes sense! I am guessing A.C. Moore probably had an inkling they were going to close shop a while ago and those kits were cancelled and that's how they ended up at Ollie's.

6 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Ollies currently has 345 stores.  I think it makes more sense that Round 2 produced the kits to order for them.  No different than when Model King would order a run of 2500 kits, but a bit less sophisticated..   more like "we need 10 different car kits" and Round 2 got to pick slow movers that wouldn't interfere with their normal distribution channels.

Edited by Tom Geiger

13 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ollies currently has 345 stores.  I think it makes more sense that Round 2 produced the kits to order for them.  No different than when Model King would order a run of 2500 kits, but a bit less sophisticated..   more like "we need 10 different car kits" and Round 2 got to pick slow movers that wouldn't interfere with their normal distribution channels.

That too makes sense...........but the all chrome tanker seems a odd pick for a private run. That and the tractor trucks seem like stock on hand that was not moving. So it ends up looking like a mix.......but we are all guessing unless Tom Lowe chimes in!! 

Earlier this week it was announced that the founder of Ollie's had passed away unexpectedly. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the Ollie's chain and if they continue to offer closeout merchandise or if they transition to more of a traditional retailer like Big Lots has done.

It's entirely possible that Ollie's cut a deal with Round 2 to run some model kits because if you look closely at the inventory at an Ollie's store, there are some things ALWAYS there in stock and not really "closeout" items. Could be a once/twice a year thing for them, could be that Round 2 knows they can always dump excess inventory if needed to clear the warehouse or free up some capital. Whatever the reason, us cheapskates in the hobby should be glad that we get the occasional "great deal" on some kits. Much like the Wal-Mart thread, maybe $19.99 isn't a great deal compared to a 50% off coupon at Michael's, but if it's the only game in town, then you do what you have to do.

• 8 months later...

Stopped by the Media, PA Ollie's today - for the first time in months they have a new batch of model kits.  In addition to some LARGE ships and a submarine, they had a case of the Lindberg 1938 Ford Sedan delivery street rods.  Unfortunately, nothing else of interest.