Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Oh geez - it’s a lot bigger ?. Wasn’t sure if it was maybe one of those “it’s 1/16 but it isn’t really” type of old kits ?. Thanks for the info buddy!

The horses can be used to backdate the MPC Christie pumper into horse drawn, even on of the calvary men fits being the driver.

1945630589_img266(2).jpg.03d0b9ad36272388feee9f7b97dc9650.jpg

greg

Just bought a Big Red Rod and opened it. It doesn't have the chrome on the tree for the chrome parts.The "chrome "tree is molded in a grey plastic. That's probably why they are 50.00.  Was  it was a mistake in production and the  previous retailer didn't want to eat the returns by customers? Or after J. Lloyd 's divorce they skipped the chrome plating step and just boxed them to sell ? Oh well I guess that's what Alcad or Molotov pens are for  !!

12 minutes ago, paul alflen said:

Just bought a Big Red Rod and opened it. It doesn't have the chrome on the tree for the chrome parts.The "chrome "tree is molded in a grey plastic. That's probably why they are 50.00.  Was  it was a mistake in production and the  previous retailer didn't want to eat the returns by customers? Or after J. Lloyd 's divorce they skipped the chrome plating step and just boxed them to sell ? Oh well I guess that's what Alcad or Molotov pens are for  !!

Thanks for that info!!! Wonder if they are all like that.....kinda makes it a $30 kit to me! 

Went to the one in Flint, Michigan this morning. They had lots of big Sea Witch boats and some I think they were Submarines. Also a bunch of Diesel Tugs, Testors Pagani and a red Chevy, some Scooby bi-planes (very tempted on that one) some small easy build airplanes, a nice looking jet-fighter (can't remember what it was called) the Stagecoach and a bunch of various 1/32 scale cars, and the Mack Firetruck snap-tite. I dug enough to find one Revell '48 Ford Coupe Police 2n1 alone behind everything else that I could barely reach (probably why it was still there). Since that was the the main target after reading what was available, I have to be pretty happy to have at least found one. I would have loved to have gotten two and maybe even a '66 Suburban, but will consider this trip a success.

I went today in Albany and they had military tanks, jeeps, personal carrier trucks, ships, planes, Scoobie Doo van and plane. 2 die cast kits. One of a 43 scale Subaru and a black sports car of which I can not remember the name. Ferrari maybe? That was it.

That’s the stock 48 Ford everyone screamed for back when? 
That’s getting blown out? 
So much for it has to be stock. 
Dave V has 1:1, I like the roof but chopped seems to sell. Stock roof  seems like it didn’t sell well. Came along in ‘15-16? 

Edited by keyser

7 hours ago, keyser said:

That’s the stock 48 Ford everyone screamed for back when? 
That’s getting blown out? 
So much for it has to be stock. 
Dave V has 1:1, I like the roof but chopped seems to sell. Stock roof  seems like it didn’t sell well. Came along in ‘15-16? 

And I think I own a dozen+  of those stock 48 kits.....I did my part!!!!

Finally had a chance to hit up my local Ollie's. Stacks of the Big Red Rod, Stagecoach and snapper modern cars. I picked these up even though I have them in the stash already. No other car kits to speak of.

20200830_140905.jpg

Edited by RSchnell
Forgot something.

Went to the store on Airport Road , Allentown, Pa. Had the BRR, some big boats, diecast Pagani, Scooby Doo Biplane and Van, smaller Testor's diecast/pre-paint military kits ( planes, Jeep, tanks). Lindberg military. A 1/32 Revell fire truck and 1/48 Focke Wulf 190 fighter . No cars. I also went to the  Tilghman St. store (also Allentown, Pa), they had a few left over C6 Corvettes from last time. The big Lindberg boats, BRR and the smaller Lindberg military stuff. They also had the '48 Ford Coupe and '66 Suburban. I picked up 2 Fords and 1 Suburban. 

Edited by larman