Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

I just got back from the Airport Road, Allentown, Pa store and they had everything that has been mentioned, '62 Tbird, Gremlin, Hurst Olds, '55 Corvette, Diamond Reo, KW CO, International, big rig trailers etc. Looks like they just put them out, nearly full cases. I got a Hurst Olds, a Diamond Reo and a KW. Might go back and get a Gremlin and another Hurst olds tomorrow, if they aren't all gone by then. This pile won't last, the vultures will pick it clean within days. 

34 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Funny. The Cutlass, T-bird, Gremlin and trucks are already up on different Facebook site for sale.  Didn't take long.

What do they ask for them? At Ollies prices, they are a good deal, but once a seller starts jacking the price back up, how is the buyer getting any better deal than if they just bought them on Ebay or Amazon, so why would they buy them? The trucks are $20 plus tax, if the seller is trying to make a profit they would have to ask at least $30 plus postage and even then, It really wouldn't pay to do this. I guess if they sat on them and the kit  got "hard to find" and you could get double or more what they paid it would start to be worth it, but you would have to store them until then (maybe years)......I don't get it.

I managed to grab these at the Ollie's in Flint, Michigan, that I bought for the LS motors. I was hoping to find the '69 Hurst/Olds, '55 Chevy Cameo, and/or the '62 Thunderbird, but all they had was a case of these Camaro's, a case of the Escalades, and a couple cases each of the 2009 and 2012 Showroom Replicas Corvettes. I'm glad I brought my wife because they were in a different spot in the front corner of the store next to the chocolate she was looking for, instead of down the main side aisle. I was there Wednesday morning and didn't see any, but may have missed them if they were in that same spot then too. I'll probably try to check in a few more times in the next week to see if more come in or get put out, but I usually don't have much luck finding the good kits there any more so I'll consider this trip a victory.

DSCN5305.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I believe that’s the T-Bird is the modern tool with a nice chassis. I’d grab a few since I have a bunch of 60-66 annuals to restore.  And it would be nice to have some spare Gremmies! 

You're correct Tom, it's the early 2000s kit with the custom parts and up top.

Okay! Funny story. I checked Waze from work and It sad there was an Ollie’s seven miles away! So I had to investigate. Waze takes me off on a route I’ve never seen. Okay because I got to see more Pennsylvania backroads with colonial buildings.  Then I recognize an intersection.. from my normal way home! Turns out Ollie’s is ONE traffic light off my way home!  ?

The store has a good selection, but of course since I mentioned I’d buy a couple 62 T-Birds, there weren’t any!  But overall, there were the large trucks including the ALF pumper, the late date Camaro and Corvettes, a Lindberg tug boat, large sailing ship and a few more off topic kits. No aircraft since some had asked!

I did buy 7 kits. I got a pair of Gremmies, one 69 Olds, 55 Corvette, Scooby Doo van (the last one), an Escalade and a 1/32 scale Mack Pumper.  Pretty much because I don’t have them, I grabbed one of each for the hoard.

I had a 15% off coupon in my email so I used it. My cost was $8.49 per kit, for a grand total of $63 including sales tax. 

The cashier asked me if I was Christmas shopping and I said, “Yes! For Me!”  She then told me her father built model motorcycles. I told her I’d like him!  A good day!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Guy in front of me bought 2 of each: Escalade SUV, Chrome big rig tanker trailers, Hurst Olds and 1962 Thunderbird kits

Didn't see any ALF Pumper fire trucks at all. Those probably went fast on the first day they had them out on display. I would have picked one up if I had seen one there. Oh well....

I was at my local Ollies yesterday and got a Kenworth, a Diamond Reo, and a flatbed trailer. The store had plenty of the snap Camaro "concept car", the unassembled Corvette promos, the Escalade EXT, the pumper and the Kenworths. They were cleaned out of the Gremlins, T- Birds, '55 Vettes and Cutlasses. My buddy stopped at an Ollies near his workplace and got me another Kenworth, another flatbed, a tanker, a Cutlass and a T-Bird. No, mine are not destined for Facebook Marketplace or Ebay.

On 10/27/2020 at 4:16 PM, RSchnell said:

It makes you wonder how many of these Round 2 kits actually sell through normal channels. I can't imagine Round 2 making a big profit if they're wholesaling kits to the clearance guys like Ollie's.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:40 AM, paul alflen said:

The production date on the bottom of the kits is 7/1/2020.This must be a run of kits just for Ollie's  to sell.... Round 2 did this last year also! Also look on the website, they are opening up new stores in different states!!!

Yup, stopped at the Merrillville, IN store and got one of the Gremlins - 07/01/2020 date on the bottom.  Similar situation with several of the kits I bought there last year - at least some of these kits are manufactured specifically for Ollies.

Nothing else of interest to me the other day.  They also had the Camaro Concept, newer Vette coupe and convert, and the Escalade EXT, plus a bunch of the big rig stuff.

Hoped they'd have the '55 Vette, Hurst/Olds, or T-bird, but no dice.  I'll have to keep popping in to see what they restock over the next week or two.

Edited by Robberbaron