Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

32 minutes ago, fordf-100 said:

I almost got the stage coach and might go back for it , do you know the origins of this kit? I really don’t ever remember seeing it!

According to Scalemates, it originated with Marx Toys back in the 1950s.  So long ago that they didn't list an exact year.  Here's the original box, according to Scalemates.

Boxart Wells Fargo Concord Stage Coach  Marx Toy Company

On 8/23/2020 at 10:16 PM, CabDriver said:

Checked out our local one in Merrillville Indiana today - no car stuff but they did have some plastic, which seems promising:

32BA76A2-B2F6-4048-92B6-127892F98306.thumb.jpeg.a9c9382862b5675a2b63441d0cce6230.jpeg

Had a bunch of filler primer for a couple of bucks a can, so I consoled myself with some of that instead ?.

I stopped in there on Friday, that end display looked.exactly the same, so I don't think they sold a thing.

I didn't think they had any auto kits either, but further back in the store down one of the toy aisles they had a  cluster of about a dozen Lindberg "1938 Custom Ford Van" Boyd-looking thing.  .

Took a hard pass on that one.  Nothing else automotive that I was able to find

10 hours ago, Mike999 said:

According to Scalemates, it originated with Marx Toys back in the 1950s.  So long ago that they didn't list an exact year.  Here's the original box, according to Scalemates.

Boxart Wells Fargo Concord Stage Coach  Marx Toy Company

Neat box! I am surprised the tooling survived in useable condition, wonder if it was reissued before. Thanks for the info!

Edited by fordf-100
Misspelled word

7 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

but further back in the store down one of the toy aisles they had a  cluster of about a dozen Lindberg "1938 Custom Ford Van" Boyd-looking thing

No way!  That’s the one I was looking for ??. I’ll have to go back I guess...

The last re-issue of the Lindberg Stagecoach was 2006 (according to Scalemates again).  The Ollie's stash may be leftovers from that run. Quite a few builders have improved/reworked that kit to make it more realistic, like hacking apart the horses and re-posing them.  I did a Google search on "improving Lindberg stagecoach" and it turned up several articles.

That Lindberg '38 Ford has a pretty good chassis that can be adapted to all kinds of street rods.  

Yesterday, Mr. Internet told me the Ollie's closest to me is open.  This is the store in Anderson, SC that was damaged a few months ago in a big fire. 

The store is NOT OPEN, so ignore Mr. Internet and don't bother going there.  The place still has massive fire damage. A bunch of 40-foot containers are sitting in the parking lot, probably with the store inventory inside them.  

On 8/24/2020 at 2:45 PM, Dave Van said:

a 3 foot long model kit of a T-Rex skeleton!

Is it the Discovery Channel box one? I picked one up last year and built it. It was more difficult than I thought it would be.  Mine had NO instructions in it and the pieces are all numbered and must go together in sequence. Not too much problem, but the numbers are hard to read on some of the pieces and they are molded in a flexible resin or something. Mine must have sat around awhile and the pieces shrank. Most were hard to fit together and I had to use a channel lock to press them together. I didn't trust them to stay together, so I used some thin CA glue on the joints to help it stay together. I also did up the base with paint and ground foam to make it look better. After its finished, it is an impressive model. Looks like it belongs in a museum. Here's a couple of pics.

Hope to see and hear about your experience when you build yours.

Jeff 

20200826_181758.jpg

20200826_181905.jpg

Jeff, 

Mine was made by GeoWorld and is pretty different. He stands in a different position and the bones are different. Mine had a photo of the assembled skeleton with numbers showing order of assembly. A 10 year old might have problems!! But I soon found out that each joint had a different shape connection so it was impossible to assemble wrong. My version also has big pegs on it's feet that click into the base w/o any braces. 

I looked to see if they did any others in this size.....seems the only one. 

Thanks Dave. I'll have to try my local Ollie's and see if they have the same version of t-rex you have. Can never have too many dinosaur skeletons, lol. I'm always looking for stuff I can put together with my 6 year old daughter. Trying to raise a new modeler and all. Love those newer Revell kits you put together with the plastic "tools".

Jeff 

7.5 Million Dollar Model Buyout according to this week's Flyer. The stuff didn't officially go on sale til today, except that some stores don't care about that corporate sale starts on Thursday thing and just start pushing things out onto the floor as soon as the truck gets there.

FYI for those that may want to know.....

The Stage model is molded in bright white plastic rather than the rust brown of the last few issues. 

The instructions are the very poor set that has been in all issues. DETAILED info on how to assemble the trunk, very simple, and almost nothing for things like the chassis!!!! 

I may need another kit.....or Big Red....

i went to the ollies in niles oh in the eastwood mall complex they had lots of big kits and not much in the way of car kits they had diecast and and the revell subburban and the revell mystery machine kits i ended up just getting two mystery machine kits  which were 9.99 each and i also got two star wars graphic novels for 2.99 each and another star wars book for 2.99 then whent over to the hobby lobby in the eastwood mall complex and they were having a 40 percent off sale on all model kits i got a amt 67 shelby gt350 kit for 17.99 instead of 29.99 and a 1/72 scale bandai star wars tie fighter 2 pack for 5.99 instead of 9.99   and a  uss missouri  kit for 5.99 instead of  9.99 also met another model builder in the model kit isle and we talked about model kits for a while 

Edited by michelle