Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1966-'77 Ford Bronco

So, I wonder what will fill in that missing corner on the Chrome Tree? It's there for a reason....

Looks like I'll be heading off the Fireball Model Werks for Wheels/Tires when I build mine. Those bulky, Cheesy off road tyres are just offputting to me. No Thanks, Revell. Try again on the next version of this kit. The rest of the kit looks killer.  Just need some Forest Service Decals and that odd 1970's Govt Green paint that you saw on all F/S trucks.

So, I wonder what will fill in that missing corner on the Chrome Tree? It's there for a reason....

Looks like I'll be heading off the Fireball Model Werks for Wheels/Tires when I build mine. Those bulky, Cheesy off road tyres are just offputting to me. No Thanks, Revell. Try again on the next version of this kit. The rest of the kit looks killer.  Just need some Forest Service Decals and that odd 1970's Govt Green paint that you saw on all F/S trucks.

You should contact Aaronw on this forum:
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/profile/66-aaronw/

He has provided me with a bunch of USFS info, and yes, I agree with you, the Bronco would look great as a Forest Service vehicle.

To clarify, did you measure the steel wheels, or the chrome plated wheel covers?

I measured the steel wheel. I could see on the test shot that the wheels were small...but until I measured them I had no idea how small they really were. The visible outer diameter of the steel wheel is a scale 14"; the diameter is .56". Considering that the visible diameter of any wheel on any car is roughly 1" greater than the size of the wheel/tire at the bead because of the bead retainer, this makes the Bronco kit wheel a 13" wheel. Data shown by Gregg elsewhere on this forum shows Broncos used 15" and 16" diameter wheels. 

The visible diameter of the steel wheel should be anywhere from .64" - .68" diameter. 

Here's a comparison of the kit wheel/tire (on the right) next to the kit tire (on left) with an AMT Ford Ranger SXT 4x4 wheel inserted into the tire; it fits fairly well and stretches the tire diameter. The SXT wheel is .675" in diameter; it's the size the Revell wheel should have been. 

wheelcomparisonstxvsstock-vi.jpg

Hmmm... were the kit engineers/designers using a broken ruler? :wacko:

Batteries dead in the ruler?  Cat ate the homework?  Bad measuring app on the smartphone? Time difference between China and here effecting measurements in other dimensions? Confusion among shisan, shisi, shiwu and shiliu?  Sunspots? Aliens? Masons / Rothschilds conspiracy? Dimensions changed due to "artistic interpretation" considerations?  Hey, it's only a toy who cares?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just got my kit today, and after seeing the posts with the parts and instr. And seeing what's in the box, 

I see a similarity between the way this kit is made and the old '77 jeep cj kit. They both have individual 

Trim parts like hinges, lights, gas caps, interior parts, steering column, and individual chassis parts. 

I'm thinking we're going to see an off-road version coming down the pipeline from revell in a little while! 

I like what i'm seeing and if i'm right, I think that we will be seeing a lot of new things coming from them.

Stephen D.

Whelen36

Maybe I'm not seeing the front differential cover correctly, but it appears to be a Dana 60 cover? Not saying Revell couldn't nor didn't compromised the stock release for a future version, but from what I've seen and read online, the front diff should be a Dana 30 which has a much rounder/some symmetrical cover. Maybe it's a Dana 44, though?

Maybe I'm not seeing the front differential cover correctly, but it appears to be a Dana 60 cover? Not saying Revell couldn't nor didn't compromised the stock release for a future version, but from what I've seen and read online, the front diff should be a Dana 30 which has a much rounder/some symmetrical cover. Maybe it's a Dana 44, though?

The early Broncos had Dana 30s but by 71 they had switched to 44s.

Ya know, looking at the picture from Luc, maybe the kit designers made the "wheels" off of the wheelcover diameter, which is quite a bit smaller than the rim size.  Or is there an external lip to represent the wheel?  You guys catch way more than I do.  The kit pics look a lot like a bo0rnco to me.   I thought the tires were way tall instead of hte rim being too small.  Either way, I can't decide whether I want to build this version or whatever version follows.  probably won't do both.

Ya know, looking at the picture from Luc, maybe the kit designers made the "wheels" off of the wheelcover diameter, which is quite a bit smaller than the rim size.  Or is there an external lip to represent the wheel?  You guys catch way more than I do.  The kit pics look a lot like a bo0rnco to me.   I thought the tires were way tall instead of hte rim being too small.  Either way, I can't decide whether I want to build this version or whatever version follows.  probably won't do both.

The assembled wheels look more or less like the picture above, eg. there is a visible lip.  Putting them onto the Moebius P/U steelies and the hubcap looks like a poverty cap.  I'd like to say I'm disappointed as I really wanted this Bronco (and will 99% still buy one) - although a factory stock & box stock build is now out of the question, but really what is there to be disappointed by anymore.  This is par for the Revell course...half the people here will glare at the kit because no matter what replacement wheels and tires you use, unless some resin caster can make bigger hubcaps you can never build one of these factory stock because the hubcaps are even itty-bittier than the Honey I Shrunk the Steelies.  The other half will be so happy to have a Bronco kit they wouldn't care if the wheels were 2" in diameter and came with scratch n sniff dog poo stickers, Revell could run over their grandma, and they'd still buy their stuff.

Edited by niteowl7710

The tires are very nicely molded, and the tread detail is excellent, save for the unidirectional-ish direction of one row of lugs. The outside diameter measures 1.130", equivalent to a 28.25" tall real tire. Maybe it's just me, but they looked taller/larger in the pics shown so far, but, again to me, I would consider them to b very small, so keep that in mind if you are considering using them on other projects.

Below, from left: Bronco, 1/25 Goodyear Wrangler AT, 1/24 Goodyear Tracker A-T, and Revell Jeep Rubicon tire:

WP_20161103_007.jpg

Edited by Casey

The early Broncos had Dana 30s but by 71 they had switched to 44s.

Yes, you're right, it is supposed to be a Dana 44, and compared to reference pics I found on the web, it looks pretty good to me.

half the people here will glare at the kit because no matter what replacement wheels and tires you use, unless some resin caster can make bigger hubcaps you can never build one of these factory stock because the hubcaps are even itty-bittier than the Honey I Shrunk the Steelies. 

I suspect the vast majority of buyers won't use the stock wheel covers anyway, so while disappointing, it probably won't be an issue to most. With this much pent-up demand, mostly correct is the bar which needed to be cleared, and IMHO, Revell did just that.

I suspect the vast majority of buyers won't use the stock wheel covers anyway, so while disappointing, it probably won't be an issue to most. With this much pent-up demand, mostly correct is the bar which needed to be cleared, and IMHO, Revell did just that.

But aren't the vast majority of buyers casual weekend builders who just want to build a Bronco?  In that vein, I suppose they probably wouldn't notice/don't care how comically small the included wheels are...

As for no one wanting the stock hubcaps, I go to many shows throughout the year and the most popular categories are always Drag Racing, Customs, and Factory/Replica Stock.  You can't build this Bronco with some other wheels and have it be Replica Stock unless there was another wheel option available from Ford that some resin caster wants to make - in the correct size.

Despite all the complaining, again, on how Revell screwed up another one. I have just gone ahead and ordered one off of eBay. From looking at Chuck's photos posted here, I'm look forward to this one. So the wheels maybe a little small. And the grille to flat. I don't care. It all looks good to me.

Yes, you're right, it is supposed to be a Dana 44, and compared to reference pics I found on the web, it looks pretty good to me.

Being honest,  it is kind of a issue for me,  nothing gets me more excited than boring stock wheels

Edited by martinfan5

I picked up mine today, great kit, love the open grille, and hood/cowl vents, and the working spare carrier. Now, my couple complaints, I wish the windshield frame was molded tot h body, and the side window glass wasnt attached to the vent windows. I know I can score those and snap them off, but still kinda weird looking if one leaves the top off. And speaking of the top, Id prefer it molded on. As, I build a lot of just bodies for the slot car guys, and while test fitting the top, I noticed, that theres no real lip or any kind of positive attachment. It looks like Ill be adding a "sill/lip"or a guide from plastic strips. Since even casual handling looks like it would pop the top loose, and slot car guys will be handling it even more. Other than those thinks, I see no other real issues on my end. I did notice that the pics on the box, must be from an earlier mockup, as the the side gas tank is on the wrong side, opposite side from the fillers.

Got one of these off the 'Bay in the mail a couple days ago, and a second one I picked up from my go-to guy at our club meeting yesterday. VERY nice kit and hats off to Revell for placing the parts in a decent sized box!

A couple nits though............looking at the stock wheels they are indeed waaaaay too small! They appear more like 1/32 scale than 1/25. Not a deal breaker though as I'm not going to use them. Instead, I'll be swapping the wheels and tires from the Moebius '69 Ford F-100 kit as they look more suitable to me. The tires in the kit are just too knobby looking to me and I'm not crazy about those, so I'll be trading 'em away to someone on the board.

Just the same, GREAT kit and I'm sure more than a few of these will be turning up on the contest tables. ;)

I just bought me one at Phil's Hobbies of Fort Wayne Indiana. Total Cost :$20.05 ( Manager gave me the 25% off that they had on sale signs that were left up. The sale was a one day thing Nov.6 Th!!!!! Very kind of him to do that as he didn't know the signs were still up. But The Bronco will be getting something very different done to it as such in the attached photo.

1967_International_Scout.jpg