Model Cars Magazine Forum

More on Molotow pens

I just ordered all 3 sizes of the pens from Model Roundup.  As others have stated, I'll be using them for detailing interior window cranks and handles, and touching up sprue attachment points etc.  I'm interested to see how well they work on some unchromed pieces in some resin kits, like bumpers and/or grilles.  I'll basically be sticking with BMF for everything else as I have no problems using it.

Interesting. I love the chrome pens so far. I'll be interested in hearing more about their masking fluid as people start using it. This could potentially be another good tool if it works with hobby paints. Like Tamiya's spray lacquers. 

Scott

It does.  I tried it with a bunch of different paints.  It goes on thin which makes it difficult to remove if you put a heavy coat over it (it's made to be used with ink markers) but having it in the pen makes it pretty convenient.   

Ive not noticed any issue without cleaning the pen tips. Ive used them and put the cap back right away. Take it back out a few days later with no issues.

That said, One thing I will say. Once you put the 'chrome ' on ,,,don't handle it it any way. Even after its dried for a few days. I used it to trim the window frames on one and even with minimal handling the chrome looses it brilliance  quick.

From here on ,I'll use them for what I bought them for....... Interior detailing only

I tried it on the edges of a couple of rims where the chrome has worn off. It looks perfect upon application, but not quite as much after it dries. One of them was a chrome steel rim which has a very narrow, sharp edge. I would not be able to foil that, and regular silver paint looks horrible. The molotow marker is a great solution. I expect it might be unnoticeable on a tire, or a finished model. It'll be perfect for interior chrome. 

That said, One thing I will say. Once you put the 'chrome ' on ,,,don't handle it it any way. Even after its dried for a few days. I used it to trim the window frames on one and even with minimal handling the chrome looses it brilliance  quick.

From here on ,I'll use them for what I bought them for....... Interior detailing only

This has been my fear all along for applications on bodies.

I suspected that it would most likely not be durable enough for exterior trim.

I'm with you Bill.

Interiors & touch up only.

Steve

As an FYI, the chrome refills from Molotow will not be available until June at the earliest. We buy directly from Molotow and get our information directly from their product rep. So don't let other retailers try and convince you that they are going to have them "real soon" or "in a month". Don't fall for the trap of "be sure to check our website all the time" :D

As soon as we have a definitive date for them, we will let everyone know on the forum and list it on our website for purchase. Molotow says the product will be released in June.

As an FYI, the chrome refills from Molotow will not be available until June at the earliest. We buy directly from Molotow and get our information directly from their product rep. So don't let other retailers try and convince you that they are going to have them "real soon" or "in a month". Don't fall for the trap of "be sure to check our website all the time" :D

As soon as we have a definitive date for them, we will let everyone know on the forum and list it on our website for purchase. Molotow says the product will be released in June.

According to the Amazon website, they are marked as "In Stock" & shipping from "Graff-City Ltd".

They are still offering expedited shipping to be received by "March 21st-24th". <_<

Steve

According to the Amazon website, they are marked as "In Stock" & shipping from "Graff-City Ltd".

They are still offering expedited shipping to be received by "March 21st-24th". <_<

Steve

I'm sure it's a matter of the refills being available for sale in the US; with proper labeling etc. Graff-City Ltd. is in the UK.

I'm sure it's a matter of the refills being available for sale in the US; with proper labeling etc. Graff-City Ltd. is in the UK.

I understand that, but in lieu of what Alan had said about the refills not being available from the company until June, I found it interesting that Amazon says that I can have it in my hand by March 24th.

Steve

I understand that, but in lieu of what Alan had said about the refills not being available from the company until June, I found it interesting that Amazon says that I can have it in my hand by March 24th.

Steve

Steve, when I said available until June, what I meant was available in the USA. The refills are legally not allowed to be shipped overseas by air (though that may not stop some European companies from doing so anyway). Like Zoom Zoom said, they need to be properly labeled for the USA, which Molotow has told us will be June.

Hey Bob .... thank you for the tip on the Alclad clear!   It does kill the brilliance a little bit... but nothing like a normal clear does.   If the pens are like 85% chrome, the clear knocks it down to 80%ish.

Here is the grille i did for my model A... I painted it a dark color and then highlighted the ribs with the 2mm chrome pen...  then cleared with the alclad aqua gloss..  It held up to substantial handling during the install, and nothing rubbed off.    The Molotow Pen gave me a perfect solution for something I was struggling with how to do. ..Highly recommended!!

In case anyone was wondering, the pens themselves can be sent by air. They're encapsulated.    

Molotow says the 30mL refill will do about 7 refills of 1mm or 2mm pens or 4 fills of the 4mm.   

Replacement tips will be available, and you can actually switch the 1mm and 2mm in the same pen (it's messy, though).  

Edited by Brett Barrow

Hey Bob .... thank you for the tip on the Alclad clear!   It does kill the brilliance a little bit... but nothing like a normal clear does.   If the pens are like 85% chrome, the clear knocks it down to 80%ish.

Glad to help! I'm going to spend some time this weekend testing what I can do w/the contents of my 4mm pen running through my airbrush. I want to thin it, I want to see how pieces that are dried react when dipped in Future. Normally I hate Future, but a friend tried it on some bumpers I airbrushed w/Molotow for him and he said it barely made any difference. So I'd like to see how it compares w/Aqua Gloss. 

Aqua Gloss didn't work that great for me on Spaz Stix chrome recently. It was much better than any other clear I had tried, including Future, but it still wasn't acceptable. Perhaps 40% reduction in reflectivity. I had far better results over Alclad black chrome.

Oh, and your model is flat out brilliant! Love it. Can't wait to see it, have a great time at the show tomorrow! Hope you can make it to NNL East.

Edited by Zoom Zoom

Molotow sent us some of these empty markers to play around with, they're the same as the 2mm and 4mm the chrome comes in.  I tried Testor's enamel, Tamiya XF and Vallejo Model Air.  They all work, the Tamiya probably should have been thinned a bit. The Testors and Vallejo Air worked fine. Paint should be thinned like you would for airbrushing.   My first thought was they'd work great for doing RWL tires so here's one. (Sorry it's the goofy upside-down AMT Firestones, that's all I had at hand ^_^).  

Molotow sent us some of these empty markers to play around with, they're the same as the 2mm and 4mm the chrome comes in.  I tried Testor's enamel, Tamiya XF and Vallejo Model Air.  They all work, the Tamiya probably should have been thinned a bit. The Testors and Vallejo Air worked fine. Paint should be thinned like you would for airbrushing.   My first thought was they'd work great for doing RWL tires so here's one. (Sorry it's the goofy upside-down AMT Firestones, that's all I had at hand ^_^).  

JaHG2KQh.jpg

UJaSHX8h.jpg 

Looks good.

I got the 1mm. 2mm & 4mm Molotow Pens from Model Roundup.  I used the 4mm one to "chrome" the rear bumper on one of those Airstream camper trailers from Greenlight that my wife picked up for me from ToysRUs.  It worked great... Looks just like chrome.  Will try to post a picture.

That's cool! Are you going to be selling these?