Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Stereo

935k3

Anybody into collecting or working on vintage equipment. I do not collect but still have stuff I bough when in the Navy. The receiver was bought in 1976 and still works. I just need to replace a couple of lights in the power meters. I am making new grill covers for the speakers, the originals were foam that disintegrated over time. They still sound great. These old receivers look better and sound better than the new stuff. The system is very loud. The receiver is a Sansui 8080, the speakers are B-I-C Venturi Formula 6 and the 10 band per channel equalizer is a Pioneer SG9500

Bic_02.thumb.jpg.9a1ab0295267fa3821d89fa

8080.jpg

BIC6.jpg

sg9500_rightangle.jpg

Edited by 935k3

They are worth getting fixed. There is allot of info on the net about fixing. I saw one for sale just for parts, $500. The parts are worth allot, main transformer is $150. Do you have the 8080DB withe the dolby controls. Apparently that board goes bad and everything goes through it. Mines does not have the dolby built in.

Fine old equipment. I still use a Dual 1219 turntable. Primary amp is a '75 414 Fisher 4-channel. My prize speakers are custom 3-way floor-standing Fuseliers. After blowing the original woofers, I replaced them and modified the crossovers somewhat. They image as cleanly and realistically as anything I've ever heard. I also have a mix of other more recent components.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Nice equipment!

As far as car stereos go, I still have my Vector Research car stereo (bought in the '80s in a Tech HiFi store). It was a re-branded BELTEK unit. It is mounted in a BENSI box (anybody remember those). You needed one of those living in a thickly settled urban area.

BeltekCarStereo.thumb.JPG.df312361ff6d53

My dad still has all of his old gear from over the years; 70s, 80s, and beyond. The reel-to-reel and record player are still set up and connected, but I haven't seen the R2R used in quite some time.

I've still got all of my stereo stuff. Most of what I bought is mid-90s, but I still have some late-80s Sony gear that was hand me down from my dad. I'll be honest though, usually I just stream the music I hive in iTunes or Spotify from the computer over the Sonos, or I listen to satellite radio. I don't use the CD player or cassette player that much. 

Dale, the 1st pic reminded me of a Marantz receiver.  Man I bought the newest audio stuff while being active military.  Can we say the barracks rocked?  The whole joint had loud music, great too that the quality was good.  About half the price of regular retail, if I remember correctly.  My 1st speakers were Bose 901's.  Anyone remember?

I still have my Technics system vintage 1980 I bought from the JC Penney stereo dept.  Remember when every store had a large stereo display??? My turntable needs a belt and they still sell them....just have yet to buy one. With so many hours of music loaded onto my phone it's hard to turn records over every 30-40 minutes.......:blink: 

Dale, the 1st pic reminded me of a Marantz receiver.  Man I bought the newest audio stuff while being active military.  Can we say the barracks rocked?  The whole joint had loud music, great too that the quality was good.  About half the price of regular retail, if I remember correctly.  My 1st speakers were Bose 901's.  Anyone remember?

I did buy the receiver through the PX system, we had a catalog of stuff. The list price was $650, I think it was a little less than $300 for me. I always wanted a set of 901's they were great speakers. I bought the equalizer in Italy and got the speakers at a local shop in Harrisburg, PA. I also had but sold this Sansui Power amp

2620-SansuiBA-2000.jpg

Edited by 935k3

Sansui hardware in the early-to mid-80's was solid kit. Except for their speakers. I worked for a dept store that sold Sansui stereos and all the ones that got returned were for "sound" issues. Hook them up to any other good speaker, and they sounded great. 

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, RocketFoot said:

I am a big vintage audio fan!  I refuse to pay over inflated prices for Pioneer and Marantz but I do collect Sony, Kenwood, Technics and other vintage audio gear!  Here are a few shots of my current system!

IMG_2093.thumb.JPG.69e1ebb4fb810cb33624c853eabd5135.JPG

IMG_2098.thumb.JPG.2801ac4fc920ba671c64172ae12ffb00.JPG

IMG_2094.thumb.JPG.c61996401edd6118c58c6ce38907c2b6.JPG

IMG_2162-edit.thumb.jpg.a9203c8adcedfbd39e37e2216b15a7fe.jpg

IMG_2111.thumb.JPG.9a4712e048a0dfe74a76d2a26c002cd6.JPG

IMG_2112.thumb.JPG.48370d867b66c35db6888e45cad8258d.JPG

IMG_2141.thumb.JPG.0a49f662835259d1a1bcb9c0737da8b7.JPG

IMG_2146.thumb.JPG.7cacd754bad26d763dc012f76c5debbb.JPG

Cool stuff!  I love the Cerwin Vegas.  I have two older pairs myself.  Great speakers.👍

36 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Cool stuff!  I love the Cerwin Vegas.  I have two older pairs myself.  Great speakers.👍

Yes indeed...those AT12's pound like crazy!  Great highs and mids too!

27 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

IMG_2141.thumb.JPG.0a49f662835259d1a1bcb9c0737da8b7.JPG

That is a couple of nice Mustangs. Don't know much about audio, but that looks to be a killer system.

Thanks!  It is a house shaker!  The Mustangs are both Jada diecast.  I am thinking about painting the 73 to look like my 71 but it has a totally different front grille.

20 minutes ago, Zen said:

Nice set up! I have been recently searching for late 70's early 80's Pioneer component car audio, separate amp, tuner, etc.

I used to run all that stuff in the early 90's!  I had a few kick-ass component systems in my cars back in the day.

12 minutes ago, kurth said:

Nice system. I really like that dbx 3BX!

I absolutely love the 3BX!  I have run them on every sound system that I have owned since I was a DJ back in the 90's!  The 3BX can really pick up a flat track and make it sound like you are in the same room with the band!  It's great with vinyl, tapes, radio and especially streaming which I listen to a lot!