Model Cars Magazine Forum

Giving up the hobby, again.

cobraman

After building on and off for 50 or so years I have decided to stop building. I have stopped a few times before like when I started driving, discovered girls, got married, had a child. Most of you have also stopped a time or two I'm sure. I have always come back but this time feels different. I guess I have a few reasons. I have purchased most of my models on ebay because of the limited selection at Hobby Lobby. I have started to see sellers wanting more and more for shipping. Some wanting 13 bucks or so. I just don't want to be paying that much. I was also running out of room for non Cobra stuff. Most important is I just lost the love of building an it started to feel like I have to finish that model instead of I want to finish that model The last couple I built felt like a chore and they didn't come out that good probably because I lost my drive.I may if I get the urge to build put a Cobra or two together for my collection but maybe not even that. I will still enjoy looking in and see the great models you guys are building. Time to find another hobby ??

Sorry to hear that Ray, however it is your choice. May I suggest not to sell everything you have and just put it aside. In 1990 (?) I got out of the hobby and sold everything with the exception of a few built models. Yep in '98 I got back into it and had to start all over again and hopefully I'm in it for life. Good luck cobraman.

Sorry to hear you lost the desire to build Ray.  No need to give up the hobby though, just take break. Like most of us I stopped building once I got into high school and didn't start up again until I was in my 30s.  You can still enjoy the hobby even without building.

Ive taken many breaks from the hobby all due to my job. Driving across the country left little or no time for building. My problem was I never stopped buying kits? Im still driving but after almost 2 years of being a local drver I can say I built probably 1 a month sometimes 1 every 3 months. Now I try to only chase down kits from the 60s or early 70s and go to as many swap meets as I can plus hang here with you guys...Good luck whatever road you choose Ray but I hope its with us..Ken

Maybe you will, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll find some new women:P! It sounds more like you need a break than it is a money or space issue. I just found this hobby so I don't see your point of view. But I think I'm pretty certain people will be here if and when you return.

I guess we can get tired or feel like there isn't anything left to accomplish.  I have cut way back on real car activities and only go to a few shows or cruises.  I am still buying more models than I could ever build but I love having something to do besides just vegging and watching tv in the winter.  Perhaps you can document your collection and post pictures as most is us have only seen the tip of the iceberg.  Take a break and see how you feel.  I sometimes go for 2-3 months without touching a kit and then I realize I miss the joy it brings me.

Truth be told, I'm not doing a lot of building myself lately!  Last time I picked up a knife was for the 24 Hour build. I just haven't had the urge.

The past few years I've been preoccupied with organizing my old stamp collection.  It's a bucket list thing and I'm having a lot of fun doing it.  I have been spending most of my hobby time here, both organizing the original stuff and adding to it to fill out the different areas.  There are times I go gung ho on a specific area or collection, then get tired and walk away from it.  Then I'll work on a different phase of the collection.

Soon enough I'll be tired of this, and will move back over to model building. Is there a problem with any of this. Nope, it's all hobby stuff and a pastime.  What ever makes me happy at any given time is just fine.

PS- Harry was also a stamp collector.  We used to PM about it.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thanks for the comments guys. I will still be here looking at all your cool builds so who knows, maybe I will get the bug again. I will still keep on collecting my little Cobra's and maybe add to my gun collection. As I get older I do think about how much BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH I am leaving for my wife to deal with when my number comes up. My wife says it's all going to be for my daughter. I wonder.....what the heck will my daughter do with 715 little Cobra's ? : )

Ray,

May I suggest something before you give up the ghost (or the hobby)? 

Come over to DESERT SCALE CLASSIC on Saturday (4/8 - just 2 days away).  Check out the array of entries ~ something for everyone, all genres (even show-quality slot cars), everything from mediocre builds (like mine) to killer mind-bending builds (like John Teresi, etc).  Hundreds of examples of the modeling spectrum in 34 classes, including Juniors (up to age 12), Seniors (age 13 - 17), Adults - and those who should act like adults), and Seasoned Citizens.  Shop ~or "Window-shop"~ at the 30-ish tables of vendors with old kits, new kits, partial built kits, parts kits, tools, supplies, parts (including the last hurrah of Modelhaus), resin goodies, built-ups, promos, die casts, and paint - the exciting new line-up of automotive paints from Tru Color Paint.  Invest a buck or two for raffle tickets to have a chance at dozens of valuable goodies, including new kits, tools, supplies, and paint!  Hang out and just take it all in;  visit with the rest of us (some of whom have major slumps going on or have had major slumps).  Chew the fat and shoot the breeze.  Soak it all up.  Vote for your favorite models among the host club's entries.  Watch and experience the award-winning awards show - see which guest entries really were the best!  Enjoy the innovative and delicious lunch entrees of Queso Good (the food truck).  Buy a DSC T-Shirt.  Or win one in the raffle. 

Or, here's a challenge:   Sit down with some kids and help them snap together a simple kit at our free Make-n-Take tables.  In fact, please do.  Our regular Make-n-Take Maestro came up lame and can't guide the enthusiastic, budding young modelers on their journey to simple but thrilling modeling! 

If none of the above moves you, it may be exactly that - time to hang it up.
BUT, more than likely spending Saturday that way may just rejuvenate you, reinvigorate your passion, and restore the flow of the juices!  

Besides, you can hang out with a worse bunch of peeps. 

May we see you Saturday?  The Cactus Car Modelers and the Moonlight Modelers clubs want to help you through this, my friend.

In wish you the best-it's your choice and enjoy your life to the fullest.I've been building for about 55 years and now that I'm 61 my passion for building has never been greater.i will never stop building-for me it would be like not breathing-lol !!!-good luck my friend and visit often.

PARTS MARTY

P.S. My wife Patti think's I'm nuts anyway-lol-me and Mark Orr have the same passion for models and we're both nuts-lol.

Many builders here have had periods of time where building was at the bottom of the list of things to do. Take some time off and enjoy the other things in life that matter to you. When you're ready to do this again you might even think about building something different than your beloved Cobras. Maybe a car you used to own or always thought you would like to own. Maybe a copy of a friends car that you always admired. Now in retirement I always have something I'm working on and it is a very enjoyable pastime.     

Thank you much fellows. Danno , I went to the DSC 2 years ago and had a great time seeing all the great models and meeting some of the fine folks I only met here. I am unable to attend this year even tho it is so close to my house. I hope you all have a great time and please post some photos.

The ultimate decision is yours alone to make Ray.  We all go through periods of time where we either lose interest in building, or, second guess ourselves as far as how we should spend our "free time".  

Do whatever it is that makes you happy.  If coming back to the hobby is in the cards for you, we look forward to having you back.

Please stay well, whatever decision you make. 

Hi Ray, Sorry to hear building isn't as fun as it used to be for you. When it becomes a chore.... it feels more like work than a hobby. And to me thats not enjoyable.  AFX said you can still enjoy the hobby without building, and I agree.  I don't build much any more and only have finished 3 in the last 11 years.  But I still enjoy this hobby.   Most of my friends are model builders, some of the best times I have are with them at club meetings , shows etc.   So maybe you might get the passion to build again and maybe you won't but I hope you stay in the hobby and here also. I wish you goodluck in all you do. I enjoy your builds and your input on this forum.

And I am also a BIG Cobra fan. 

Dave

Edited by D. Battista

• 2 weeks later...

The passion seems to ebb and flow for me too. While I was very enthusiastic about cars for a while again, I've switched back again (at least temporarily) to military. While my passions for hobby stuff in general, can sometimes fade to nothing, I always seem to eventually bounce back. I guess I'm sort of a "never say never" kind of person, at least in this particular respect.

My last builds are from the mid 2000's, I'm full of ideas, but every time I sit down at the bench, I don't have the drive.

But I still collect, picking up kits and sometimes aftermarket items too, for hopefully possible future builds, just knowing having the stuff I want, gives me a peace of mind.

Hopefully it will get back to me before I retire, in 15 years or so....

:D

I understand completely how you feel Ray , as I've felt the same way for more than a year now . Can't really point to one thing that has caused it but many of the same things you have mentioned have slowed my building down to almost nothing .  I still like looking and I still buy kits ,  but when it comes time to sit down and build something the passion just isn't there anymore . Very hard to explain to somebody who hasn't been there . 

Good luck to you . . .  see you around !