Model Cars Magazine Forum

While I can't identify all the original manufacturers of the diecasts, note that some are collectible and expensive (like those made by Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint), and others not so much.

Edited by sjordan2

Thank you Charlie and Steve, for bringing that up and then going back to find it. I'm so glad you did. That helps a lot!! :)

Again, I have to say how humbled and appreciative I am to read all of the nice things said about my dad on here. It really makes my heart smile.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update...we are selling the diecast models on eBay but haven't gotten to the models he built himself yet. When we do, I'll list them here and anyone interested will have to opportunity to get one. 

Quick question for those of you that may be able to answer:

I tried to ascertain the value (if any) of the STACKS of model car magazines he has at the house. I took a picture to show a couple of the publishers. The oldest one I found when quickly glancing through was from 2007. Are these something we should just toss in the recycling bin? I also called a bookstore that buys books, magazines, etc. and they said they could only buy about 20 and we "wouldn't get much" for them. I'm sure my dad kept these for reference and inspiration when building his own models and I'm (yet again) looking for guidance on what to do with them. Help please!?20170521_192618.thumb.jpg.9054ad028fae1c

Magazines are tough. I just took two pick-up loads to the recycle bin.  They were pretty much what you show....and some model train mags. I offered them free here for cost of shipping...no bites. But if you take time to list them on ebay you may get some offers....but to me it was not worth my time. Best of luck to you!! 

If no one wants the magazines, you could submit them to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

That way they wouldn't go directly in the trash and some or all of them may be purchased by some builder short on funds.

You may be able to get a tax deduction if you choose to itemize and claim value of the magazines.

In Arizona there are "used book stores" that give store credit in exchange for magazines, this may be an option where you live.

Well being a bit of a hoarder, I would never toss out the magazines. I have every Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine, except issue #2 and a few of the Contest Annual issues, and every Car Modeler. I would love to have a set of Model Cars. I use them for reference, inspiration, and simply to enjoy reading. They do sell on eBay rather well, as I have sold many there, when I was thinning my multiple issues. Your Dad was a VERY special guy!

Good will or something similar. 

I took file box full of car and model magazines to a swap meet a few weeks back Offered the whole box for $10 . not one bite.

My next trip near a  good will they will go there, or I'll drop them in the recycling bin at my daughters school.

If you have one in the area, a real car club might want the Hemmings and similar mags.  But I'm just guessing.

Maybe see if you can donate the model mags to a model club, library or just about anywhere before dumping them.  I'm currently drowning in magazines myself, so I know the problem.  But I also remember when I got back into building models, many years ago, it was seeing build-ups in magazines that first inspired me to try the hobby again.  So maybe some kid - or even some old geezer (like me!) - might pick up one of those magazines and decide to join the hobby. 

Folks if you're trying to get rid of model car related magazines post them up here please. While I'm not interested in most full scale car magazines (unless they're pre 1980), I'm trying to replace my model car magazines. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to have them.....maybe for inspiration?

Amy,

There is a big model car swap meet in Wheaton at the county fairgrounds, usually in September. This would be a great place to sell off some of your Dad's stuff and a great way to see it going to a good home. Not sure of the dates but I am sure someone here can supply the date, it is usually on a Saturday/

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! You have all been such a big help in all of this. It really makes me feel more at ease when I think, "I'll ask the model guys. They'll know the right thing to do" :)
As some suggested, I took them to Goodwill. I called bookstores and the local library and no one was interested. I even thought about donating them to local car repair shops/dentist's offices etc. but there were just SO many. They weren't more than ten years old and I've already started listing all of his diecast models on eBay, so the thought of listing about 700 magazines was just too overwhelming to me, even if I did them in bulk. 

Thanks again! 

Amy,

There is a big model car swap meet in Wheaton at the county fairgrounds, usually in September. This would be a great place to sell off some of your Dad's stuff and a great way to see it going to a good home. Not sure of the dates but I am sure someone here can supply the date, it is usually on a Saturday/

The date is Sunday Sept. 24th at the Du Page County Fairgrounds in Wheaton, Illinois.

I would like to ask Gregg if this would be one exception he might make to the no selling rule? Allow Amy to list them here rather than e-bay, so all of Harry's friends, even those that never met him in any other way than here, mught be able to help Amy out. I saw at least one die-cast that I would like of Harry's and I am sure I am not alone. And to have his kits here instead of the bay, well that might assure her little to no costs to her.I know I would love to see some of Harry's collectionwithout having to wade through all the other things on e-bay. Just a thought

Edited by socal76

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone!!

Haven't been on in a while, but I have been very active selling the diecast and plastic 1:18 and 1:24 scale models of my dad's on eBay. I have gotten some really lovely feedback from almost everyone who has purchased a model, telling me they will treasure them like my dad did. My eBay name is amypristo2. Please feel free to visit there and see what is posted. It would make me happy to know some of you are getting them. I haven't even looked at the built models you were all mentioning you were more interested in; they're still covered in newspaper, taking up an entire room in the house, wall to wall. I plan to disperse all the little kit models first. I will check back in with you all before I begin to do anything with the "real deal" models. 

For now, I'm listing about 20 or so models at a time, and they have been selling fairly well. They are still really beautiful, even though I know they may not necessarily be the ones you all are more inclined to want. 

Here is a link, in case you can't search for my username. http://www.ebay.com/usr/amypristo2

Much love to you all!