Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi Amy:

First of all, I'd like to express my condolences to you and your family as well.

Here's my thoughts on the disposition of your Dad's model collection. As some other Forum members have mentioned, many of his models were way, way above average in terms of their build quality and the basic kits were often rare and special. From my observations, many of his projects were large scale, and the kits themselves were very expensive to begin with. I think most of my associates here on the Forum would agree that many of his projects were "museum quality". As such, each *individual* model could be worth hundreds - or even thousands - of dollars depending on the subject matter and the build quality. So, I would definitely encourage you to seek advice from a knowledgable modeler in your area before you sell them or place them in a museum, etc etc. You deserve to get maximum $$$ for them.

Speaking of museums, before handing over any models, be sure you have an understanding of what's going to happen to them, and get it in writing. Don't just assume that they'll be permanently displayed in his honor and lovingly preserved. Often times, "donations" of items to museums are sold off later on by the museum. You and your family should be the ones who decide where his models wind up. Perhaps you should consider an arrangement where you temporarily "loan" them to the museum for display for a specified period of time. Likewise, whatever museum you might choose, if you do decide to donate the models to them, check on whether the donation qualifies for a tax write-off.

Finally, keep some of them for yourself, or other family members yet to come (grandchildren? Nephews/Nieces? Etc) These models could become family heirlooms that y'all will cherish for years to come. Remember, if you sell/donate them, once they're gone, they're gone....

God Bless you and your family.

Amy... I'd like to add my deepest condolences. Your Dad was a vital part of what brought us all together here, and many would say the lynch-pin of what KEPT us all together. I never met him, but we exchanged a bunch of messages about a wooden tram he'd built that happened to have once upon a time run by where I lived 30 years ago in the UK (the real tram ran more like 80 years ago), and that was the measure of the man for me. He always cared, always was interested, and shared so much with us. He will always be missed.

Given the quality of what he shared in his books, I wouldn't restrict yourself to MODEL car museums. Get in touch with the Henry Ford Museum, the Automotive Hall of Fame or the Gilmore, and see if they'd be interested in taking on Harry's legacy. He was creating a history of the automobile that just happened to be rendered in beautifully-built models, and one of them should surely give that collection a proud home.

Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss, which we all share to a lesser extent.

With best regards,

Matt

Amy, I think Matt conveys my thoughts also. Harry will be missed by a great many people. From modelers here in the US,to many abroad.

George

I mentioned this a while back. I'd love to have a car or bike built by Harry. We spent a lot of time going back and forth about the subject that we all here love. If there is an opportunity to acquire one of Harry's builds then please count me in.

We miss Harry here very much and hope you are getting on well after such a loss as your Father. Pleas accept my condolences yet again.

Bob Frias

agreed.

Althouh we never met in person. We talked back and forth a  few times here on the board and via private message.

But I miss him and his insight and passion for the hobby.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to to acquire one of his builds. I may not be in a financial position to pay what its worth . But would consider it an honer to own just one of his little masterpieces 

IIrregardles you have my deepest sympathies for your loss. And the challenge ahead of you..

Bill Allphin 

So, I would definitely encourage you to seek advice from a knowledgable modeler in your area before you sell them or place them in a museum, etc etc. You deserve to get maximum $$$ for them.

Speaking of museums, before handing over any models, be sure you have an understanding of what's going to happen to them, and get it in writing. Don't just assume that they'll be permanently displayed in his honor and lovingly preserved. Often times, "donations" of items to museums are sold off later on by the museum.

Very good advice. A few years ago in my rural area, a con artist claimed to be setting up a local toy museum and solicited donations.  Some lifelong friends  donated their late son's toys, dating back to the 1950s and loving preserved because their son died in an accident at age 22.  They believed his stuff would be on permanent display etc. But after gathering items from many families, suddenly the con artist vanished. Probably to pull the same trick elsewhere and sell all the stuff for his own profit.  I go to many estate sales, yard sales and flea markets.  The term "bottom-feeder" would be an upgrade for some of the greedheads I've met at those places. So as others have said, make sure your Dad's incredible models go to someone who will appreciate them.

I only met your Dad here on the internet, but always valued his comments. When I saw his name on a post, I knew I would learn something and be entertained at the same time - a rare knack.  He will be badly missed.

First, so sorry for your loss. Harry was a great ambassador to the model car hobby. Never met him personally but had a lot of talks online about many things. One person in your area I would contact is Dean Milano. He's on Facebook and used to have a toy and model museum in the Chicago suburb of Elmhurst. http://www.toys-n-cars.com/  Pretty much an expert on model value.

First, so sorry for your loss. Harry was a great ambassador to the model car hobby. Never met him personally but had a lot of talks online about many things. One person in your area I would contact is Dean Milano. He's on Facebook and used to have a toy and model museum in the Chicago suburb of Elmhurst. http://www.toys-n-cars.com/  Pretty much an expert on model value.

Second that motion! I've had the pleasure of meeting Dean in years past, and he's definitely an expert on model cars. Likewise, he's a total model car nut, and would be the kind of person who would appreciate Harry's models and want to help preserve them....

Oh yes, he'd be PERFECT to help you with this.

Harry was an integral part of this forum & will be very sorely missed by all of us!

My heart felt sympathies go to all of his family.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no doubt in my mind that Harry's builds were absolutely museum quality & I can't believe that any museum that has anything to do with cars would not love to have them.

They could probably populate an entire section of their museum with nothing but Harry's builds & my guess is that it would be a very popular exhibit.

I would do my best to contact a good, reputable auto museum & be sure to include some of his high quality photos.

If I were a curator of a museum like that, I would jump at a chance like this!!

Steve

Agreed entirely.

Harry was a seriously talented and skilled builder, and a large part of what made this forum what it was. There's not a day goes by that I don't think of him, and consider him to be the best friend I never met. 

Amy, Harry educated many of us on the finer points of our hobby, his guidance helped us improve our skills & helped us to think "outside the box". Your concern about his models speaks volumes about the man & his children. Our prayers are with you & your families, Al Rich

Your Dad also had a great sense of humor, he pm'd me a long time ago about some minor infringement, so I pm'd him back with a cheeky response.

The pm's that went over and back ever afterwards were really funny. That's how I remember him anyway.

Your Dad also had a great sense of humor, he pm'd me a long time ago about some minor infringement, so I pm'd him back with a cheeky response.

The pm's that went over and back ever afterwards were really funny. That's how I remember him anyway.

Yup! I bet a lot of us got busted a few times by Harry. :-) And, I won't forget my outside mirrors on any of my models again ;-)

Hello Amy, My condolences to you and your family over the sad loss of Harry, your dad. I never met him in person living over here in the UK. My contact with him was as a contributor to Model Cars Magazine. He will be sadly missed by the auto modelling community. With regard to disposal of his finished models, you have had a number of suggestions already, and it would be fitting if they could be placed on permanent display somewhere. The Bugatti Trust has a small museum dedicated to the marque over here in the UK. Dads Pocher Bugatti T50 would make a wonderful display piece for them and would make a lovely tribute for UK Auto Modellers to be able to see an example of his work over here. Regarding unbuilt kits EBay is probably the best bet for disposal, but do find a local modeller friend who could sensibly value them for you. Harry was a true gentleman I am pleased to have known. My deepest sympathy and kind regards.  Noel Smith

Amy my deepest sympathy on your loss.

First if you are going to display the models in a museum it should be a larger museum. The model car museum is small which limits the number of people that would be able to enjoy his models.

Second I would put them on loan to the museum rather than donating. You need to check the details not sure how that works.

Third if you are selling be sure to get a reputable appraiser.

Again my deepest condolences. My dad passed 15 years ago and my mom passed 5 years ago and I can appreciate your.loss.

Harry was a big part of this board and is deeply missed.

Amy,

If you and your family are interested in keeping Harry's collection relatively intact, (not to mention much closer to where your family is) I might suggested contacting the Detroit Historical Museum, they have one of the largest Lionel train collections in the world, they seem to be be interested in large collections like that. With the skill your Dad had in building they may be interested in his collection. Like everyone else, I would like to offer my deepest condolences for your loss, Harry is, and will continue to be, sorely missed!

Amy,

I'm very sorry to hear of Harry's untimely passing;  I suffered vicariously with him as he fought the cancer, and my heart broke when he succumbed.  I thought of him and prayed for him daily, because he was, as Bill Engwer said, the best friend I've never met.  We talked, emailed, PM'd, and exchanged messages from time to time, and I always found him to be not only an inspiration but also a fine example of a gentleman worthy of emulation.

And such a truly talented man!  His models are truly works of art.  I have some of his books and have studied the online images of his  creations.

Having said that, let me weigh in a little on the disposition of his collection and the body of his work.  Please, please do not treat his creations as just "things" to sell off, like Ebay fodder.  Please don't look at the dollar value they might represent on an online market.  His creations are art.  Please pursue permanent preservation in a museum so that others may enjoy and venerate his artistry for a long time.  Please don't sell them off, to never be seen or displayed again. 

Yes, there is a widely respected and reputable museum of the model car industry and hobbyists; the International Model Car Builders Museum, located in Salt Lake City, UT.  Pay no attention to couple of naysayers, it is a viable choice.  Please speak with the driving force behind the foundation that operates the IMCB Museum, Mark S. Gustavson, before you make any final decisions about the disposition of Harry's art.  Please check with Gregg Hutchins and Darryl Gassaway.  Please check it out. 

The creations of many notable builders who have passed are preserved and displayed at the museum, and certainly your father's works would have a wonderful home there. 

God Bless and be with your family in your time of sadness and absence of your father.  Godspeed with all you must deal with.

Danno, a good friend of a Good Man

Edited by Danno

Never having met him, but through posts and PM's back and forth, Respect of the craft was, to me, the high point of Harry's work,....I know it's just plastic,....

But to make plastic look like brass, or copper, or stainless , or some kind of weird white metal  ...he was a master painter, and will be missed...

Cheers to Harry

Miss you man

Hi Amy -

Over the past many years, I have helped with estate sales of models car collections, some numbering in the thousands of built cars, some of friends, some not, some by direct sale, some by auction. I have purchased models built by friends who have passed away and they are cherished memories of long friendships. Some of these life long collections have been donated to museums and sadly, not all the museums have the space to display them. 

Harry's family and friends should have a remembrance of Harry before you dispose of any models. Then contact the museums closest to you so that any time you want to see them, you can visit them or take friends to see the collection. Dean Milano is indeed an expert in model car history and values and may be the best person to help you with your Dad's collection. I have known Dean for many years and his knowledge is far-reaching. Dean is also very honest and trustworthy. 

Contact any local community museum that might have interest. Then contact all the car museums in the area. Many of them will talk to you over the telephone and give advice on how best to share Harry's work. Selling them by auction is difficult and time consuming (I know a car auction house in this area and it takes a lot of work to auction off any collection) as is selling on Ebay. 

Gather all the information, then discuss it with your family, then make your decision. Make sure you are all happy with your decision. We will all be happy with your decision. 

P.S. here are some photos I took in 2008 of a collection just before it went to a museum for display. To date, the cars are still in storage in the museum basement due to lack of space :( 

http://public.fotki.com/howardcohen/collection-hanover-2008/

Again, everyone, I'm overwhelmed (in the best way possible) by your responses. I'm reading every one, though I'm not able to do it every day. I'm also following up on all suggestions and links. I can't thank you all enough for responding, for sharing what you thought of him, for your advice, and your sympathy. 

I've catalogued 33 of his models so far. That is one small portion of his enormous collection. These are, I think, (and pardon my ignorance on this- he kept this hobby as sort of a private, treasured pastime) some of the "cheaper" models. The picture quality isn't great, because I used my cell phone, and just taking these pictures from one angle took a couple of hours, so I apologize for only having one photo of each model. They are all die-cast, no plastic. There is great detail work on the dashboards and interiors that you can't see in most of the pictures. All of the doors and hoods open, almost every steering column is functional, and they are all in nearly perfect condition. Taking this as a small sample of the rest, is anyone interested in any of these? We can determine a fair price. Again, we're not 100% sure what to do with all of them- I'm very seriously considering museums and even an auction of some sort. But truly, you guys (and gals?) were his friends, and we would love to see them end up in your hands. I can't think of a group pf people more deserving, who would appreciate them as much as he did. And I think he'd like to know some of them went to you.

All feedback/advice much appreciated, as always. 

Many, many thanks.

20170507_163520.jpg

20170507_163556.jpg

20170507_163636.jpg

20170507_163712.jpg

20170507_163856.jpg

20170507_164018.jpg

20170507_164527.jpg

20170507_164643.jpg

20170507_164751.jpg

20170507_164911.jpg

20170507_165044.jpg

20170507_165457.jpg

20170507_165640.jpg

20170507_165802.jpg

20170507_165955.jpg

20170507_170057.jpg

20170507_170313.jpg

20170507_170436.jpg

20170507_170621.jpg

20170507_170732.jpg

20170507_170845.jpg

20170507_171100.jpg

20170507_171213.jpg

20170507_171335.jpg

20170507_171439.jpg

20170507_171616 (1).jpg

20170507_171616.jpg

20170507_171723.jpg

20170507_171915.jpg

20170507_172044.jpg

20170507_172208.jpg

20170507_172315.jpg

20170507_172408.jpg

Copy of 20170507_163520.jpg

Copy of 20170507_163556.jpg

Copy of 20170507_163636.jpg

Copy of 20170507_163712.jpg

Copy of 20170507_164018.jpg

Copy of 20170507_164527.jpg

Copy of 20170507_164643.jpg

Copy of 20170507_164751.jpg

Copy of 20170507_165044.jpg

Copy of 20170507_165457.jpg

Copy of 20170507_165640.jpg

Copy of 20170507_165802.jpg

Copy of 20170507_170057.jpg

Copy of 20170507_170313.jpg

Copy of 20170507_170436.jpg

Copy of 20170507_170621.jpg

Copy of 20170507_170845.jpg

Copy of 20170507_171100.jpg

Copy of 20170507_171213.jpg

Copy of 20170507_171335.jpg

Copy of 20170507_171616 (1).jpg

Copy of 20170507_171616.jpg

Copy of 20170507_171723.jpg

Copy of 20170507_171915.jpg

Copy of 20170507_172208.jpg

Copy of 20170507_172315.jpg

Copy of 20170507_172408.jpg

What a very impressive collection of die-cast models. I can tell that Harry liked them not only by your photos, but also photos that he had posted here in the die cast section. I was just looking at some die cast cars for sale this past Friday evening at a hobby shop, but didn't see anything that I really wanted to add to my collection. I have bought several die cast cars from this hobby shop in the past. Thanks for sharing the photos Amy.

I will speak plainly. While Harry collected a great deal of die cast. And he enjoyed them like a great many here do to this moment. I will say this. There is interest to be sure, but most of us are interested in what Harry crafted. Built by his own hands. Those are the things that he/we treasured most. I for one care only for what Harry touched and crafted with his own hands. 

If Harry made it, it is FAR more valuable to me and everyone here than something he bought to please himself and had no other way of acquiring.

Harry crafted items of beauty. I craft items I hope will be considered beautiful within my time or beyond. 

It was your Fathers ability to make something from seemingly nothing that made him the great builder he was. He turned average kits into art on a regular basis.

It became sort of "Routine" to see Harry do a WIP [Work In Progress] and turn out what anyone would call a lost cause into a sensation. He did this with casual aplomb I must add.

Calling Harry a model builder is like calling the Sistene Chapel a building. It cannot amply describe what has taken place.

Ok, thank you guys. This proves how ignorant I am on the subject. I know now what you mean by models he BUILT. I will try to catalogue those another day. I remember, as a kid, that he always had a model car project he was working on. I don't think he started truly BUILDING them until we were all out of the house. That's when he metaphorically spread his wings, as he could literally spread out on every available work surface without fear we would mess anything up :)

I understand now what you guys are looking for. Thank you for walking me through this. For ANY question I had regarding matters that had any sort of importance, I would always simply ask my dad. I wish I would have asked him before he passed what exactly he wanted to happen to them. I think none of us wanted to broach the subject. I will say that my sister and I discussed him moving by us, to a smaller house, and downsizing. The ONLY concern he had was his model collection. He didn't care what happened to anything else, but he had to have that at all costs. This collection was the literally the most important possession in his life. Thank you for treating it with the reverence he did. 

Our pleasure distinctly Amy. Your Fathers need to make things right is one of his defining characteristics here.

He was of the mindset of "Why settle for OK when Great is just around the bend". 

If you've looked at all here then you've seen this in action. Simple things like braking systems turn into major overhauls as he sought to right the wrongs in every kit he built. hard tops to soft tops he made them all seem so plausible.

In the end Harry is/was a builders builder. Never totally satisfied, and always looking to get better with the next build, A man I always respected, and always looked to for guidance.

Amy Harrys models trult transended what most of us do when we build models. Harrys models were museum quality art. If his hand built model collection be kept intact and displayed in a museum under loan many could enjoy his work. In my opinion this would be the finest tribute to his amazing work.