Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Yellow Jacket" Ford Competition Roadster

TooOld

Straight out of 1962 comes the Monogram "Yellow Jacket" Ford Competition Roadster , built basically box stock with just a few modifications .  The front was lowered a scale 3 inches , front spokes were 'thinned' , lug nuts added to the rear wheels , and all chrome was stripped except for the engine .  I also made some filler panels for the rear wheel openings .The kit is molded in yellow and black so the plastic was polished and cleared , the original decals were sprayed with a sealer before applying them , and 'wood' decals were made instead of painting the floorboards .

Of all the early Monogram kits I've built I think this is my favorite , it would be fun to build another and really detail the heck out of it !                I hope you like it ! 

Edited by TooOld

Beautiful build!  Looks "just right"!  Explain to us a little bit about how you thinned those front spokes; (did you just slowly and carefully shave them down by scraping each with an X-Acto blade)?  To my eye, those thick spokes as found in the kit were always visually-distracting, and what always took-away from the "look" of a good build of this kit.  What you did to those spokes makes a world of visual-difference!

Beautiful build!  Looks "just right"!  Explain to us a little bit about how you thinned those front spokes; (did you just slowly and carefully shave them down by scraping each with an X-Acto blade)?  To my eye, those thick spokes as found in the kit were always visually-distracting, and what always took-away from the "look" of a good build of this kit.  What you did to those spokes makes a world of visual-difference!

Thanks Mark ! 

It was suggested to me to use an X-acto blade to scrape the spokes but that sounded like a disaster waiting to happen . I decided to try some small files that I have , smaller than the normal jewelers files these are about 4" long and very narrow . Turns out they made an easy job of the spokes  , just a few minutes on each wheel .  Then I did some cleanup with the X-acto knive and a toothbrush .

Very nice indeed! The mods are just right - enough to improve the look without reducing the kit-nostalgic factor.

I've loved the Monogram early Ford kits since they were new (when I was 12) and I'm slowly working on a stock Phaeton.

I knew from the start I'd have to thin down those spokes sooner or later and appreciate your description of how you did it.

Outstanding build, you really did that kit justice.  I agree about the spokes on the front wheels, odd that the lugs weren't included on the back.

Thanks Bruce !

I thought the same thing about the rear wheels but for such a nice kit there are lots of little details missing .

What an outstanding job on this Bob. I'm saving your pics for reference when I get around to building mine. Several years back Norm Veber did a box art version of the 30 Phaeton drag car which, to my eyes, became the gold standard for that kit. Your Yellow Jacket has achieved that status. Well done!