Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Future Releases Interesting

regular guy

On 12/8/2017 at 6:55 AM, SfanGoch said:

Hmmmm......there's only one older than me.

Same here! All the others I was here when they first hit the roads. ;)

My how time flies! To think that once upon a time, the first cars I saw on the road when I first knew what a car was, all had tailfins and TONS of chrome! :blink:

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd rather see the Mexicali Mudlark, but it's just not possible. :(

Not rather, rather as well!

Also the Turista Turismo and most of all the Boondock Bomber.

I wonder whether all those tools are really lost (aside the '66 Skylark, which sadly is),
or whether they hesitate because of some OMGCURBSIDENOWAY nonsense.

Edited by Junkman

49 minutes ago, socal76 said:

Is the Polyglas Gasser going to be done off the new tool '62 Catelina or AMT's kit of the early to mid seventies Polyglas Gasser kit release?

"New tool" Catalina.  Albeit that was new some 20 years ago at this point, but it's just another decal variation on that kit.

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

"New tool" Catalina.  Albeit that was new some 20 years ago at this point, but it's just another decal variation on that kit.

Back in the '90s Amt's Blueprinter magazine, printed a list of possible subjects to release as Blueprinter exclusives, one of these items was the Polyglas Gasser kit.

I'm guessing that while their records at that time, showed that they had the tool, they hadn't, or it was too far gone to salvage.

Maybe Dave Darby has some additional info on what happened back then, cuz he had good contacts with Karen Sands of Ertl.

Edited by Luc Janssens

8 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Back in the '90s Amt's Blueprinter magazine, printed a list of possible subjects to release as Blueprinter exclusives, one of these items was the Polyglas Gasser kit.

I'm guessing that while their records at that time, showed that they had the tool, they hadn't, or it was too far gone to salvage.

Maybe Dave Darby has some additional info on what happened back then, cuz he had good contacts with Karen Sands of Ertl.

They might have wanted to base the kit on the old annual back then and deep sixed the project when they found out it's a Bonneville.
However, they then newly tooled a Catalina, but never dug up the Polyglas Gasser idea again.

That Round2 brings it out at this time is somewhat ironical for me, since just a few weeks ago, some petrolheads my age and I had
a lengthy real ale fuelled discussion* about ye goode olde Polyglasse GTse and how much we loved to smoke them up in the Eighties
when we dragged a car out of a field that still had them fitted.

• 2 years later...

"...Fireball 500 is not a bad kit. They lifted that idea from the short lived trend of 'topless' funny cars..."

I disagree on that second point.

The 'Fireball 500' car was more Batmobile than 'Flying Dutchman'.

George Barris' conversion of a '66 Plymouth Barracuda into a custom roadster muscle car represents the tail end of a trend of sports car roadster conversions of production cars, mostly compacts, by styling studios and customizers in the 1961-66 period.

1961 Corvair Sebring Spyder.jpg

1961 Corvair Sebring Spyder XP-737

1961-Pontiac-Tempest-Monte-Carlo-LR.jpg

1961 Pontiac Tempest Monte Carlo roadster XP-741

1962 Ford Mustang Concept I.jpg

1962 Ford Mustang Concept I

1962 Olsmobile F-85 X-215.jpg

1962 Oldsmobile F-85 X-215 roadster

tbw.JPG

1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone Sportster by Gene Winfield

102413_1b.jpg

Two early inspirations...the 1959 Corvette Stingray XP-87 Roadster and the 1957 Corvette SS XP-64 (Sebring Race).

Edited by blizzy63

1 hour ago, blizzy63 said:

"...Fireball 500 is not a bad kit. They lifted that idea from the short lived trend of 'topless' funny cars..."

"regular guy" is well known around here for spouting some , shall we say dubious "information" on this board. He hasn't been around much anymore. His posts were always good for pure entertainment value, but not much factual information

Let me get this straight! I open the forum and see "New AMT Releases" and get excited. Just to find out that someone wanted to disagree with an opinion someone posted over three years ago?!?!?! LOL That's just funny. And kinda sad in the same time. 

31 minutes ago, mrm said:

Let me get this straight! I open the forum and see "New AMT Releases" and get excited. Just to find out that someone wanted to disagree with an opinion someone posted over three years ago?!?!?! LOL That's just funny. And kinda sad in the same time. 

Yeah, but if you read through the entire thread, it was kind of humorous. ^_^

Steve